suitable pump replacement

Options
Jonathan
Jonathan Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello. I have a cabin that is built on a large rain water tank that fills from collecting water from the roof. To have a shower water is taken out of the tank to a pump located next to the tank about 1 or 2 feet above the usual water level. It is then pumped to a gas water heater located about 6 feet above it and then to the shower head that is a couple of feet higher. It has been using a shurflo extreme smart sensor 5.7 for the last 8 years or so. Sadly it seems to have now died so I am looking for a replacement. The recent reviews of the shurflo looks like their quality control isn't what it used to be so I am looking for something different. The old pump self primed would produce 60psi with a max flow rate of 5.7 gpm. It replaced a 3.8gpm pump which wasn't able to keep the gas heater lit so it needs to be at about the 5+gpm. The cabin has a 24v battery bank and has no options for gravity feeding so the work needs to be done by the pump.

I haven't really been able to find a suitable replacement and have been thinking of using a mains pump. It doesn't get a lot of use and the battery bank has some spare capacity so the power loss isn't too much of a factor if it gives me what I require.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: suitable pump replacement

Check these out:
    http://www.aquatec.com/variable-speed-pumps.html
    They reportedly are more reliable than Shurflo and Flojet pumps and made in the USA. I just ordered one to replace a failing 2 year old Flojet when I could not get a response from their tech support.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I am a big believer in Aquatec pumps ( own 4 at Present ) and have had great service with them. While the smart pumps are nice one should be selective in their placement. They have a higher amp draw than the same pump with a On & Off pressure switch. The On & Off pressure switch versions the switch is adjustable with a allen key from 20 psi to 80 psi. If you have something you fill that has a constant volume and flow, I think your better off with them, I have a small pressure bladder tank I fill on a water jet toilet and the smart pump had problems filling it because of the back pressure. The smart pump is fixed at 65 psi.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the Shurflo smart sensor got eight years of service before it failed you did not do that bad. I would just rebuild it if I had the time.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net