Looking for battery back-up on GT system

Options
dtstein
dtstein Registered Users Posts: 11
I don't expect that for free and would be happy to pay for services as a consultant - if you can truly help me. I actually have a pretty unique system.
40 Sanyo 220w HIT PV panels
40 Eiq vBoost 250 DC-DC converters with PV panels in a parallel wiring design (we have lots of shifting shade)
boosts 40v to 320 volts constant into the GTI
Fronius 7.5Plus+ GTI inverter
Also have 28 SUndrum solar thermal panels that lie UNDERNEATH the PV panels. Not hooked up yet, but theorectically should cool the PV panels boosting output in addition to generating my all my hot water

I'm interested in putting in a second inverter system with batteries, with communication to the Fronius so that if the grid goes down the GTI will be fooled and still generate. I've contacted Outback and they seem to think this is doable with their Radian inverter/GSLC/Mate/CC. Fronius will provide no help. Outback did send info on ac-coupling which makes alot of sense to me. Probably a dump load will need to be designed into the system as well.

Anyway...if you or anyone reading this is interested in helping, I'm interested in listening. Happy to provide more details as needed. This is clearly a challenging goal as the solar installer I'm friends with and who hopefully will make this happen is a bit stumped himself.

THank you for your time.

Dan Stein

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Looking for battery back-up on GT system

Dan;

As per our conversation. Looks like I got the salient points in without annihilating everything.

Seems like you're after an AC coupled system that can make use of the Fronius for extra power and battery charging. Pretty sure Outback is right that the Radian can do this without being overwhelmed. So can the Xantrex XW, SMA Sunny Island, and certain Magnum inverters. They will all be less than perfect as they rely on shifting frequency to drop the GT when the batteries are full and there's no place for the extra power from the GTI to go (i.e. loads). The Fronius is not meant to be used like this, which is why they shy away from answering such questions.

The best system for this is all SMA devices: Sunny Boy GTI in combination with Sunny Island. But the others can also be used. There's a few threads about this sort of thing already; search for "AC coupling" site:wind-sun.com on Google and you get a mess of results: http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=AC+coupling+site:wind-sun.com&oq=AC+coupling+site:wind-sun.com&gs_l=hp.3...3333.12771.0.13327.29.27.0.0.0.0.1069.18003.5-6j15j1.22.0...0.0...1c.mf2eQBmo8-o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1d6e92f54034dd59&biw=1366&bih=655

Some of the members who have done this will want to join in here with some practical advice. One thing I notice; if you buy an 8kW Outback Radian you don't really need the 7.5kW Fronius, do you? Could be another solution as the Radian can output to grid and provide battery back-up (although you'll need a charge controller and reconfigured array). Just a thought.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dtstein wrote: »
    Very strange people. If its not possible, then please explain why - I'm happy to listen and learn.

THank you for your time.

Dan Stein

I think the problem is not that it is not possible but that it is not sensible from a cost perspective. And that gets explained pretty well most of the times the question comes up.
    What does get said is that you cannot use GT inverters to provide grid-down power without adding in at least some batteries, that a specific combination of GT and standalone inverters designed to work together is essential, and that those batteries are going to make it the most expensive possible way to get the job of grid-outage backup done.
    Although getting banned is usually the result of behavior rather than motivation!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • inetdog
    Options
    Also have 28 SUndrum solar thermal panels that lie UNDERNEATH the PV panels. Not hooked up yet, but theorectically should cool the PV panels boosting output in addition to generating my all my hot water
    THank you for your time.

Dan Stein

Hi Dan,

This combination of panel cooling and water heating is a very tempting one. Unfortunately a consideration of the practical aspects leads to this inescapable conclusion:

1. Most of the solar energy hitting the PV panels will be reflected back or absorbed within the panels themselves. None will pass directly through.
    2. Of the amount absorbed, half or more will be radiated back from the front or transferred by conduction to the air above the panels. A reasonable expectation is that the panel temperatures at the back and the roof temperatures under them may reach as high as 20 degrees F above the ambient air temperature. That is not hot enough for domestic water heating with solar thermal, although it might be of some use in heating a pool.
    3. With solar thermal panels, you want to get as high a temperature as possible without boiling your working fluid to make your heat exchangers more efficient.
    With solar PV you want to keep the temperature of the panels as low as possible to improve output.
    The two just do not go together.

I will not flame you about this or ask that you be banned. I will just tell you that it is a monumentally bad idea and that you appear to have gone ahead and spent the money on the components without realizing that. If you have the roof, wall or other area available, put the solar thermal panels anywhere else than under your PV!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Dan;

I've edited out the bits that aren't applicable again. Please do not put them back in. In this context you're addressing the forum as a whole, not one individual. Your tribulations on the other forum aren't unfamiliar to us here as other members have had similar experiences. There's no reason to re-hash them on this forum.

For clarification I should point out that dtstein is not allowed to have a generator-based back-up system as one can not be approved for his particular circumstances. As such his only choice for back-up power is a battery-based unit.

As stated, my preference would be to redesign so that there was only the 8Kw Radian unit rather than AC coupling the Fronius to any inverter.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The biggest problem with using hot water collectors to cool PV's is that you want the water temp around 140F whereas you want the PV temp around 70F. Whatever temp you get from the combination is likely to be too hot for the PV and too cold for hot water.
  • dtstein
    Options

Thanks all for your constructive comments so far.
    I admit I am an idiosyncratic scientist and do things that are not mainstream and against common accepted wisdom and dogma (thats why I'm a scientist)!

SO to clarify for some who have raised emminently reasonable concerns and criticisms:

1. I want to have a back up capability. Its not really feasible with a fixed installed generator. Our town only allows LPG tanks, and due to my small irregular property lines ad neighbors I'd never get permission for one or both. For insuarance reasons I can't store more than a few gallons of gas for a small portable generator on teh property. (Believe it or not I had to fight with our town to put up PV on myback roof!). So if I want resilience in teh case of grid down and interruption in fuel supplies - that leaves me with teh admittedly expensive adn less than perfect battery back with ?second inverter option. Swapping out the fronius for the Outback Radian and rewiring is an interesting thought... I know this may get expensive, but as I am pessimistic about our political class on either side, and that our savings will be eventually vaporized in inflation/hyperinflation, I think its at least reasonable to plow money into a long lived back up system that protects us in case of catastrophic events, and in the event it all works out and I'm just a hopeless pessimist....adds to the resale value of the house.
    2. I chose parallel PV design due to significant shade issues from east and west. Instead of microinverters I chose Eiq vBoost which is a DC-DC converter. Like Enphase, they have on line single panel monitoring, but provide much more data including historical data, Pi, Po, Vi, Vo, Ii, Io, and temperature ! You can literally scan the 24 hour profile of the whole array or any individual panel in real time or historically. Looking at the data I can really see how this has benefited me. I achieve the full theorectical 80% yield. I'd guess a set of two or three serial strings wouldnt have gotten better than 30%. Anyone interested, PM me and I'll send you the link to see the data. Interestingly, they are so busy they don't sell residential anymore - only commercial installs. So I'm lucky (I also finagled....).
    3. Solar thermal: I'm a big believer in that. THe comments here are spot on. A dedicated panel is by far the most efficient way to go. Unfortunately we had limited roof space and esthetically mixing the panels wouldnt have looked nice either. I chose admittedly a new technology - Sundrum (Sundrumsolar.com). I have no commercial link to the manufacturer or owner. After seeing his system in actuality I decided to take THE RISK of trying it. He claims 50% solar yield as solar thermal energy which translates to a stagnation temp maxof 130F in summer, and probably is on the order of 70-90F in winter. Clearly this is not as efficient as dedicated ST - BUT you dont waste space. You go get BTUs that are useful, but you have to supplement them. Again being the iconclast scientist that I am I have gambled and oversized my system and installed 28 Sundrum SDM 100 panels underneath my 40 Sanyos. SInce I have my Eiq vBoost monitoring - I will be able to monitor the actual advantage (if any of a PV panel with or without the SUndrum. THeoretically it should cool the panels and increase output. If it does that - I will have on site proof. I have seen SUndrum installations of smaller systems and they seem to work well. The owner tells me he has installaed large systems where hot water demand is substantial - ie. hotels, water distillation plants etc. SO the technology while new is not entirely untested. I admit I am taking a gamble here. I sort of view this whole experience as a grand science project and hope to share the info with others so they can learn and learn from my mistakes...
  • dtstein
    Options

4. Energy usage: We have done a good job reducing our energy requirements. Changed out bulbs for LEDS, changed habits and insulated, air sealed the house. Our electric use is down 30-50% despite the hot summer. We use AC sparingly. Our typical load now is about 16KWh/day w/o ac and could go down further if we went to back up power and only critical loads. So I truly want teh back up only for critical loads and a few minimum creature comforts. ?8-10kwh/day.

5. Heating : The Sundrum solar thermal is oversized. That means it will handle more than s 100% of hot water demand in summer, winter/fall, and about 90-100% in winter (with admittedly need for aboost). This means I have to have a heat dump. I'm putting it into a wood drying shed since my winter back up heat source is a masonry heater (see masonryheaterassociationamerica). It burns wood as effciently as the most efficient modern wood stove, but you only need to fire it twice per day. I'm considering putting in a geothermal system (which admittedly will raise my electric use) so as to have that as a heat dump. If the well end up being dry, then someof the late summer/fall extra heat may be recoverable. In addition, excess solar thermal heat can raise the entering water temp and increase the COP of the heat pump (they have working systems with COPs 6-9). I'm working with engineers who specialize in these types of hybrid systems....again totally uncoventional and I'm taking a risk...But in a pinch, the masonry heater puts out 14kbtu/h and is totally manual so we will never freeze...Our whole house heat load is now down only 3 tons - 36kbtuh if it gets to -20F. We also have a sunroom that helps heat the house...At more typical temps I think the masonry heater probably will do most of the job just fine.

6. Batteries- of course I'm investigating NiFe....Haven't made up my mind yet.

Thanks all for your assistance. Thanks for tolerating this atypical kind of guy. I just dont like doing things the usual way. It works out some of the time...!
  • dtstein
    Options

Inetdog-
    everything you say is correct. I accept that. Accepting that a battery back up is the most expensive (least cost effective) option, what do I need to know to get it done?
    Evidently that persistence on my part despite my acknowledging this reality, was not appreciated by some. Since I know you inhabit both spaces, hopefully you saw the exchanges.
    In any case its clear this is a helpful community where disagreement doesn't have to be disagreeable. Thanks and feel free to criticize anything I might say or suggest. I've certainly learned alot, but am the first to admit I can and do get things wrong. Providing a good dose of reality is always a good thing.
  • inetdog
    Options
    Providing a good dose of reality is always a good thing.
    But "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." :-)
  • dtstein
    Options

Inetdog, 'Coot and others with experience-
    it seems more evident to me that performing ac-coupling will be difficult and expensive (at best) given my present fronius GTI. Perhaps the best option would be to bite the bullet and go with a proven integrated solution such as SunnyBoy8000 with the Sunny Island 5048, and sell the fronius despite it being but a few months old. Unfortunately I got bad advice that the fronius would be compatible with battery back up when I originally ordered it. Does anyone know how noisy the SunnyBoy is compared to the Fronius? Its in my wife's workshop so that is a consideration.
    How much energy does one lose in terms of efficiency when you combine a second battery connected inverter when the grid is connected?
    Thanks.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

This is where it gets complicated.
    If your second, battery-based inverter is a hybrid type (that is also able to feed the grid) there is no appreciable efficiency difference between half your GT power coming from it and half coming from a standard (no battery) GT inverter. (Somebody is bound to jump in here and contradict me over a few % efficiency. :roll: )
    If your second inverter is for stand-by power only (doesn't or can't feed the grid) it will not actually be connected when the grid is up. It will take AC IN from the grid and keep the batteries charged, but otherwise just sit there doing nothing.
    This is why I suggested replacing the Fronius with the Radian. If you have to buy a second inverter anyway, you might as well have it doing something all the time.

Not sure how loud any of them are. Loudness is somewhat subjective; some people may hear and object to the inevitable transformer hum. For others it will just fade into the background like so much white noise.
  • dtstein
    Options
    This is where it gets complicated.
    If your second, battery-based inverter is a hybrid type (that is also able to feed the grid) there is no appreciable efficiency difference between half your GT power coming from it and half coming from a standard (no battery) GT inverter. (Somebody is bound to jump in here and contradict me over a few % efficiency. :roll: )
    If your second inverter is for stand-by power only (doesn't or can't feed the grid) it will not actually be connected when the grid is up. It will take AC IN from the grid and keep the batteries charged, but otherwise just sit there doing nothing.
    This is why I suggested replacing the Fronius with the Radian. If you have to buy a second inverter anyway, you might as well have it doing something all the time.

Not sure how loud any of them are. Loudness is somewhat subjective; some people may hear and object to the inevitable transformer hum. For others it will just fade into the background like so much white noise.

Thanks 'Coot.
    Two comments/questions:
    1) The site for batteries (in our crawl space) is about 20-25 feet from where the Fronius now sits. Alternatives would be have the Radian sit next to the batteries (wall available), but then DC from the PV would need to go that 20-25ft. If it replaced the Fronius, it would be next to the breaker and subpanel, but DC from the batteries would have to go back that same 20-25 feet. DOes that change the financial calculation substantially (due to the cost of heavy guage wire) as compared to buying a SunnyBoy/Sunny Island and doing ac coupling?
    2) I guess if I did replace teh Fronius for Radian I would be losing 6% of yield as the CEC is 96 vs 90%. SMA SB/SI are both rated at 96%.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Regrettably it's not quite as simple as sticking the Radian in place of the Fronius. A battery-based inverter needs a charge controller and the array re-configured to feed that.
    You don't want 25 foot battery cables, that's for sure! Putting the inverter and charge controller close to the batteries would be the way to go, as it would allow the long wire run to be the higher array Voltage rather than the 48 system Voltage.

There are some issues with the charge controller too. The Xantrex XW 600 MPPT-80 can take the array as-is; it is designed for GT arrays to charge batteries with. Trouble is it costs a lot of money: $1,200. MidNite makes a 250 Volt version of their Classic which you might more easily adapt the array to. It's $610. Kind of makes it worth rethinking the array wiring to save $600, eh?

But maybe we are going about this the wrong way entirely. Perhaps the question that needs to be answered is how much emergency back-up power do you really, really, really need?
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    But maybe we are going about this the wrong way entirely. Perhaps the question that needs to be answered is how much emergency back-up power do you really, really, really need?

There's the question of the day. If the need is for baseline loads like a fridge 24/7, plus a few lights and TV during the evening, then a 2 kw inverter genset is the solution. I can't believe insurance wouldn't allow for 10-15 gallons of gas on-premises. That's as much as your average car gas tank. And 10-15 gallons will last for days of 24/7 use. Double or triple that if you run it in shifts through the day to conserve gas (the fridge will carry over between runs).
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • dtstein
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    There's the question of the day. If the need is for baseline loads like a fridge 24/7, plus a few lights and TV during the evening, then a 2 kw inverter genset is the solution. I can't believe insurance wouldn't allow for 10-15 gallons of gas on-premises. That's as much as your average car gas tank. And 10-15 gallons will last for days of 24/7 use. Double or triple that if you run it in shifts through the day to conserve gas (the fridge will carry over between runs).

Thanks TT and 'Coot.
    I admit thats not that much gas. I could probably put close to that amount outside in a storage shed. So thats getting close. We have two fridge/freezers, and I was thinking of adding a dedicated low wattage freezer. So we're probably looking at 3-4kwh/day of essentials I would guess. What models of portable inverter gensets would you recommend?
    I still hate the idea of the PV going idle in a prolonged grid down emergency though...
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Options

I have AC coupled a Fronius IG into an Outback dual FX system in an off-grid situation. It works but not ideally. This system operates well as a whole because there is also a DC coupled PV array/MPPT charge controller to provide regulated charging. (I do not, as yet have any experience with the Outback Radian.)

The Fronius/dual FX system would probably work quite well as a grid-tie while the grid is available. The main trouble comes when the grid is down, the batteries reach absorption voltage and there is no grid to back-feed into. If you don't have an adequate PWM diversion load you do not have regulated battery charging. An "adequate" PWM diversion load would be capable of handling 100% of the Fronius' output and the diversion controller would need to be capable of handling 125% of the Fronius' output. I don't know of any readily available product that can handle this. Of course there is the temptation to use multiple smaller controller/ load combinations but in my experience there is great value in keeping things as simple as possible. (I may be talking to the wrong person on this point.;))

Another problem which has shown up is that many surge loads (garage door opener, motor driven tools, etc...) cause the AC output power of the dual FX system to fall out of the allowable specs of the Fronius which causes it to disconnect until the power remains acceptable for 5 minutes. This same 5 minute "grid monitoring" time is required by the Fronius if it is "regulated" by any frequency shifting of a battery based inverter.

This would be a good reason to consider the SMA Sunny Island system with SMA Sunny Boy inverters. The SBs can be programmed to throttle down rather than disconnect thus providing full multi-stage battery charging. If you wish to make use of "diversion" loads this can still be done with auxiliary relays to switch some desired AC loads. (Some homework would be required to figgure this out but I'm pretty sure it could be done with some finesse with the right settings and loads.)

It would be best to use dual Sunny Islands to have a 120/240 without the need for a transformer (24 hr phantom load). While the grid is available they will tend the batteries with programmable periodic boost charging and when the batteries are full they would enter "silent mode" and use relatively little energy (more homework) and make less noise. When in off-grid mode or while boost charging they do make a hum typical of most battery inverters. I'm not sure how the sound level might compare to a Fronius IG Plus.

Too bad for your solar thermal system your Sanyos are not the transparent ones.

-Alex Aragon
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

But even with batteries you don't necessarily need some big 8kW inverter if all you want to do is keep the refrigeration on for a day 'til the power is restored.

And that can adjust the size of the battery bank down and the amount of panel needed to recharge down: some folk have applied a little technology to their GT arrays allowing it to be reconfigured at the flip of a switch to feed a charge controller just enough to keep the emergency power going. Takes some thinking, but is possible.

Another possible is a propane powered generator. Surely they let you have BBQ tanks about the place?
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

Some options:
    The SMA sunnyboy + island:
    - Does a good absorb charge because of proper charging regulation
    - Extremely efficient for grid tie because you could use the sunny boy TL inverters with 98% efficiency
    - Expensive because you'd need dual sunny island for 240V or a transformer with single sunny island
    - You only need half the kW capacity of the sunny island vs the sunny boy, e.g. you could go with 1 x 5048 sunny island + transformer + 8kW sunnyboy

Fronius + Xantrex XW (Apparently Magnum and Victron support this too)
    - No smooth absorb charge, since the XW will knock the fronius offline whenever battery voltage gets too high (e.g. during absorb), but since grid outtages are an exception rather than the rule this may not be a huge issue as your batts will get their proper charge once the grid comes back online.
    - Have to have the same XW capacity as GTI capacity (maybe they could make an exception with 7kW GTI + 6kW Xantrex)
    - XW does split phase, so you only need 1 unit and no transformer as opposed to the SMA solution
    - Grid tie efficiency will be the same as you have now since the fronius sells direct to the grid (ignoring the float charge to the batts)

Any battery inverter with grid tie capability + DC charging
    - Less efficient at grid selling because you're losing efficiency in the charge controller + the low efficiency of the Radian
    - Good charging of batts

Any bi-directional battery inverter + Fronius + dump load
    - Good charging through a proper absorb
    - Need a dumpload + PWM controllers capable of dissipating 7kW
    - The other stuff SolaRevolution mentioned above, although they may be outback specific problems.

IMO the DC charging ideas are better for off-grid, or off-grid with some grid selling. What you're looking at is primarly grid tie with occasional off-grid, so I think the AC coupling ideas with an efficient GTI are the nicest solution. If Xantrex can confirm that their frequency shifting will working with 7kW of PV and 6kW of XW then I'd strongly consider it because you can keep your fronius and don't have to spend that much on an XW. The SMA solution is ideal, but costly especially since you already have the fronius.
  • SolaRevolution
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    IMO the DC charging ideas are better for off-grid, or off-grid with some grid selling. What you're looking at is primarly grid tie with occasional off-grid, so I think the AC coupling ideas with an efficient GTI are the nicest solution. If Xantrex can confirm that their frequency shifting will working with 7kW of PV and 6kW of XW then I'd strongly consider it because you can keep your fronius and don't have to spend that much on an XW. The SMA solution is ideal, but costly especially since you already have the fronius.

Dtstein has invested quite a bit in his PV monitoring system. It sounds like he really wants to closely quantify his system output. To keep the monitoring capability he already has would require using a high voltage string inverter.

Although it may be the most expensive option, the Sunny Island system has a good integrated battery monitoring capability and more versatile aux relay options (homework required). I like the XW system for many reasons and it may be the most cost effective way to do this proposed project but it really lacks a good battery monitor and it's charging protocols via AC do leave something to be desired. It could really be a challenge to hook up an AC coupled battery system (Fronius with a XW, Magnum or Outback) with a DC diversion controller so it will not have the possibility of inadvertantly dumping grid power into the diversion load.

I mentioned the 24 hr phantom load of a transformer. I should have also mentioned the +/-10% loss of all power that goes through it. This can easily total much more system loss than a second SI inverter especially for grid-tie unless you have a not-so-simple way of disconnecting/bypassing it when the grid is present.

-Alex
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Options

All good points Alex, I'm a cheapskate by nature and was looking to save a few bucks instead of going all out on a sunny island. The 10% loss through the transformer will only be applicable during off-grid periods so not too serious a loss.
    Incidentally, I've just been working with the free YASDI library that SMA offers, installed it on a $30 raspberry pi with USB RS485 connector and am now swimming in pretty data from my sunny island :D

Attachment not found.
  • SolaRevolution
    Options
    stephendv wrote: »
    All good points Alex, I'm a cheapskate by nature and was looking to save a few bucks instead of going all out on a sunny island. The 10% loss through the transformer will only be applicable during off-grid periods so not too serious a loss.
    Incidentally, I've just been working with the free YASDI library that SMA offers, installed it on a $30 raspberry pi with USB RS485 connector and am now swimming in pretty data from my sunny island :D

That's a sweet "dashboard".

Stephendv, what is your your system AC output voltage? Spain, right? Not splitphase?

-Alex
  • dtstein
    Options
    I have AC coupled a Fronius IG into an Outback dual FX system in an off-grid situation. It works but not ideally. This system operates well as a whole because there is also a DC coupled PV array/MPPT charge controller to provide regulated charging. (I do not, as yet have any experience with the Outback Radian.)

The Fronius/dual FX system would probably work quite well as a grid-tie while the grid is available. The main trouble comes when the grid is down, the batteries reach absorption voltage and there is no grid to back-feed into. If you don't have an adequate PWM diversion load you do not have regulated battery charging. An "adequate" PWM diversion load would be capable of handling 100% of the Fronius' output and the diversion controller would need to be capable of handling 125% of the Fronius' output. I don't know of any readily available product that can handle this. Of course there is the temptation to use multiple smaller controller/ load combinations but in my experience there is great value in keeping things as simple as possible. (I may be talking to the wrong person on this point.;))

Another problem which has shown up is that many surge loads (garage door opener, motor driven tools, etc...) cause the AC output power of the dual FX system to fall out of the allowable specs of the Fronius which causes it to disconnect until the power remains acceptable for 5 minutes. This same 5 minute "grid monitoring" time is required by the Fronius if it is "regulated" by any frequency shifting of a battery based inverter.

This would be a good reason to consider the SMA Sunny Island system with SMA Sunny Boy inverters. The SBs can be programmed to throttle down rather than disconnect thus providing full multi-stage battery charging. If you wish to make use of "diversion" loads this can still be done with auxiliary relays to switch some desired AC loads. (Some homework would be required to figgure this out but I'm pretty sure it could be done with some finesse with the right settings and loads.)

It would be best to use dual Sunny Islands to have a 120/240 without the need for a transformer (24 hr phantom load). While the grid is available they will tend the batteries with programmable periodic boost charging and when the batteries are full they would enter "silent mode" and use relatively little energy (more homework) and make less noise. When in off-grid mode or while boost charging they do make a hum typical of most battery inverters. I'm not sure how the sound level might compare to a Fronius IG Plus.

Too bad for your solar thermal system your Sanyos are not the transparent ones.

-Alex Aragon

Thanks Everyone for your extremely helpful suggestions!

An installer acquintance of mine is very partial to Apollo Solar battery back up systems, albeit not yet grid interactive. He was wondering if we could link that via ac coupling to the Fronius. Any comments?

Alex - while I plead guilty to complixifying things (must be the integrative physiologist in me coming out), I do agree there are times when simpler is better and less likely to fail. Thus all the recent suggestiosn are great for me to think about. As to the Sundrum panels, the manufacturer claims about 40% of solar yield as thermal capture, and teh panels are SRCC certified. I have seen a couple of working systems and they clearly do capture thermal energy. They sit flat against the back of the PV panel and are essentially glorified aluminum heat sinks (The inventer was a CPU cooling expert in the computer industry!). On a sunny day, my Eiq vBoost DCDC converters monitor everything going on under/in the PV panels. THey also monitor temp and they routinely show temps going up to 65C on a hot sunny day. When we have cooler days and intermittent clouds, I can see output jump easily 10% based on PV panel temps of 35C. Thus if the SUndrums cool the PV panels by 30C I would hope to see that difference consistently. Well only time will tell once I have the data. If this group is not familiar with the DCDC product (Eiq), feel free to PM and I'll send you a link to my account so you can see for yourself how neat the data look. Much superior in my opinion to that from Enphase. It has just one little technical bug which is that the Po algorithm is faulty and gives readings greater than Pi. I assume being a small company they haven't fixed it yet. Their "new" monitoring system which is fixed, doesn't show the individual panel data, thus in my opinion is much less useful and interesting. Other data look very consistent with reality, and Fronius production. Temps certainly consistent with independent monitoring.
  • dtstein
    Options
    But even with batteries you don't necessarily need some big 8kW inverter if all you want to do is keep the refrigeration on for a day 'til the power is restored.

And that can adjust the size of the battery bank down and the amount of panel needed to recharge down: some folk have applied a little technology to their GT arrays allowing it to be reconfigured at the flip of a switch to feed a charge controller just enough to keep the emergency power going. Takes some thinking, but is possible.

Another possible is a propane powered generator. Surely they let you have BBQ tanks about the place?

'Coot- of course we do have backyard BBQ like anyone else. You can get the small ?3-5 gal tanks and I actually have 3 of them. So yes thats possible. Whats problemmatic is getting approval for a large (300-1000gal) in ground tank due to topology, run off, and property lines.
  • SolaRevolution
    Options
    Stephendv, what is your your system AC output voltage? Spain, right? Not splitphase?

Nevermind. I found the thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?11827-Sunny-Island-5048-Review
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks TT and 'Coot.
    I admit thats not that much gas. I could probably put close to that amount outside in a storage shed. So thats getting close. We have two fridge/freezers, and I was thinking of adding a dedicated low wattage freezer. So we're probably looking at 3-4kwh/day of essentials I would guess. What models of portable inverter gensets would you recommend?
    I still hate the idea of the PV going idle in a prolonged grid down emergency though...

Your first step is to find out what each item uses while running, by using a Kill-A-Watt. Once you know that you'll know what size inverter-genset you need. I think the best is Honda, with Yamaha coming in a very close second. There are other cheaper brands of inverter-gensets now on the market like Champion but you get what you pay for. My parents just bought the Honda 6 kw model and it appears to be well-built. If I had to rebuild my entire backup system again I probably would buy the 2 or 3 kw model to maintain my baseline loads overnight, and run most of the rest of my 120 volt loads during the day.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • dtstein
    Options

Thanks TechnTrak. I already have a kill a watt meter, and have used it selectively to find phantom loads. Haven't done yet as you suggested, but very sensible suggestion.