Motion Sensor Light Switches - Occupancy Sensors

cdre
cdre Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭
Has anyone here used interior motion sensor light switches in lieu of conventional light switches as a means of preventing lights from staying on? Thinking about one of these for an infrequently used bathroom.

I was thinking of something like this: http://www.simsupply.com/p-19150-white-motion-switch.aspx?CAWELAID=1303353934

Attachment not found.

Anybody have any clue of how much current this these things draw? Anyone using these currently.

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Motion Sensor Light Switches - Occupancy Sensors

Just tested a very old Honeywell one. Stand by is about .033 amps.
  • cdre
    cdre Solar Expert Posts: 78 ✭✭

Thanks for the info! Actually looking at a spring loaded option as well... Low cost, and no electricity required.
    Attachment not found.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

I find the clock timers great for bathroom fans, outdoor lights, block heater timers. Anything you don't want left on (by yourself or others) they will shut down after the clock winds down.

Bathroom fans...because you can set and forget.

Outdoor lights/floodlights...because you can have light to get to your car, and unlike motion sensor types will not be kept on because of moving leaves/branches (been there, done that).

Block heaters...so you don't forget and leave an 800watt or larger load on indefinitely (been there, done that) Need ones with the proper rating for this.

Ralph
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    cdre wrote: »
    Actually looking at a spring loaded option as well... Low cost, and no electricity required.
    Attachment not found.

I have a couple of spring-wound timers for light AC loads (bathroom fan, LED light). Anyone know of a source for spring wound timers that can handle DC loads?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Anyone know of a source for spring wound timers that can handle DC loads?

--vtMaps

If you have DC at the load any time that you want the switch to work (i.e. not just a switch leg), it will probably be a lot easier to use a relay with DC contact rating at the load and just switch the coil current with the spring timer.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    I find the clock timers great for bathroom fans, outdoor lights, block heater timers. Anything you don't want left on (by yourself or others) they will shut down after the clock winds down.
    I installed one in our bathroom for my wife to plug her hair maintenance equipment into after she nearly burned the house down leaving her hot iron on when we went out for the evening. It's a good thing that the plastic stuff she melted didn't ignite.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter turned on the outside floodlights expecting them to turn off (it was a motion sensor control) after she left, and turn on again when I got home. I came home to a floodlit driveway an hour later. The next day a clock timer switch went on in place of the the regular outside light switch. Off grid not like 300 watt halogen spots left on!

Ralph