Wind Turbine pics, In case you were curious.

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
Thought folks might want a closer look at wind turbine blades have been digging in my achieves and these are from 1 year ago, never post processed them due to their quality, just snapshots at best.

Off loading in Halifax NS

original.jpg

Shape of the blades

original.jpg

Blade headed North of Mt. Washington NH.

original.jpg

original.jpg

pbase.com/solorguy

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Wind Turbine pics, In case you were curious.

Neat pictures... Saw a truck carrying a big white (really big) strangely shaped box/container out in the SoCal desert area. Took me awhile to figure out it was probably was a large wind turbine nacelle. Those guys are huge.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

awesomeeeeee.. Any of them installed?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

mt washington is somewhat brutal in the winter. hope just north of there isn't as brutal or a failure won't get fixed until spring.
  • solorone

For some reason I have not been getting email notifications. I have this posted on 3 camera forums also, and learned a good bit more. These are the smaller units. Seems they are going to bigger turbines, as one big one is cheaper to erect and operate than 3 smaller ones. This was posted on another thread,

How about a turbine that is 505 feet diameter, blades of 246' and at 10 RPM a tip speed of 180 MPH. The video is German but that does not matter, these are huge.

Siemens just produced the worlds biggest rotor blade with a total length of 75 meters and it weighs 25tons, the total diameter of the turbine after assembly will be 154meters. The truck length for that transport was 85m and had a width of 5m. The special thing about these is that they are molded in one single piece instead of several pieces, so they can save up to 20% of weight.

You can see a short video about the move on this German website (couldn't find an English version): http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/s...3176.bild.html
    The real interesting part is at 00:14, the truck had to go through several roundabouts and in this video you can see the truck traveling one, at one point the tractor can't see the trailer at the end!
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    solorone wrote: »
    For some reason I have not been getting email notifications. I have this posted on 3 camera forums also, and learned a good bit more. These are the smaller units. Seems they are going to bigger turbines, as one big one is cheaper to erect and operate than 3 smaller ones. This was posted on another thread,

How about a turbine that is 505 feet diameter, blades of 246' and at 10 RPM a tip speed of 180 MPH. The video is German but that does not matter, these are huge.

Siemens just produced the worlds biggest rotor blade with a total length of 75 meters and it weighs 25tons, the total diameter of the turbine after assembly will be 154meters. The truck length for that transport was 85m and had a width of 5m. The special thing about these is that they are molded in one single piece instead of several pieces, so they can save up to 20% of weight.

You can see a short video about the move on this German website (couldn't find an English version): http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/s...3176.bild.html
    The real interesting part is at 00:14, the truck had to go through several roundabouts and in this video you can see the truck traveling one, at one point the tractor can't see the trailer at the end!

Broken link! You cannot just post the displayed url with the "...." in it.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Possibly this site is what he intended: http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/siemens/hier-wird-das-groesste-rotorblatt-der-welt-durch-daenemark-gefahren-25473176.bild.html
  • solorone

Odd?? it works just fine on 3 other sites, guess I should have checked it and that added link is correct. Anyway, that is a big wind unit. I can't remember for sure, but I think the hub is 13 or 16 meters wide.
  • inetdog
    solorone wrote: »
    Odd?? it works just fine on 3 other sites, guess I should have checked it and that added link is correct. Anyway, that is a big wind unit. I can't remember for sure, but I think the hub is 13 or 16 meters wide.

And one of the components of the blades is good old fashioned balsa wood!
  • solorone

Who would have gussed balsa wood? I thought balsa was slow growing and $$, it sure was exspensive in the 50s. They are big , here is a link to the big blade listed above, mentioning the balsa wood in the wing!! http://www.zimbio.com/Going+Green+at+Home/articles/5zRXm4nOT9S/Siemens+wind+blade+manufacturing+world+longest
  • solorone

Folks keep digging up neat info on this topic. here is a great Siemens video from China, there is a stream of electrical issue videos at the bottom, some great night shots of the cities. Just grab the wind video, impressive how these things are hand made.

http://www.energy.siemens.com/entry/energy/hq/en/#/power-matrix-china-wind-hd
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Not sure where those blades were heading as the windfarm in Millsfield NH (north of Mt Washington) is complete. Possibly Lowell wind in VT? There is an remote railroad siding in Gilead Me on RT 2 that has been used recently to support a couple of wind projects in the area like the Millsfield NH, Roxbury Farm and one other industrial project in the area.
  • solorone

Could be, but you would think that once they got on a truck they would be headed to an erection site, as this would add 2 more crane lifting cost into the setup per blade.

Overnight the other side of the world found this.. Folks keep digging up neat info on this topic. here is a great Siemens video from China, there is a stream of electrical issue videos at the bottom, some great night shots of the cities. Just grab the wind video, impressive how these things are hand made.

http://www.energy.siemens.com/entry/energy/hq/en/#/power-matrix-china-wind-hd
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

followed some of the links... flabbergasted at what you see in this one

http://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/en/power-generation/renewables/wind-power/?nocache=9818691457620.771%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20#webfeature=/apps/features/swt-6/all/en

Note the number of wheel sets under the turbine and the length of the trailer!! WOW

listen to the description of the equipment being installed ....WHILE... the apparatus is dangling from the cranes (look at the size of them) and there are individuals ... bracing... the blades while the turbine in the background is in action...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • inetdog

Just all of those wheels being hydraulically steered together was impressive to watch.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

When I lived in Germany, there were wind farms throughout our region. Even when riding my bike by them, the true size of these beasts didn't really hit home. It was only when they were down for repairs and the blades were on the ground with trucks and people beside them did the enormity really strike you.
    Plus, it was interesting to see people walk into the hubs.
  • solorone

I have never been close to one, other than a bad image I took in Belgium, of one behind a 300 YO home, do they make mush noise??
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I have heard gear box noise--But there is a question if the "sub sonic" or sound frequency/pressure waves below ability of human to hear is an issue or not (I have read one article where person complained about hum from electrical substation--nothing they could do to reduce the sound levels would satisfy the neighbor. Until they planted trees as a visual barrier--Did not affect measured sound levels--but did resolve the noise complaint)

There is certainly an issue of flicker (rotating blade shadows from sun) irritating many (or worse, if epileptic tendencies).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solorone

The epileptic issue makes sense. I had heard there was swooshing noise coming form the blades, the tips if the 505' blades are moving at 180 MPH at 10 RPM, got to make some noise.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

I found that there is a slight whooshing sound, but it's barely there. It is only noticeable if you are very close to the unit and are outdoors. You can't heard them if you are driving by in a car.

None of the locals that I spoke to had any complaints about them.
  • solorone
    Rybren wrote: »
    I found that there is a slight whooshing sound, but it's barely there. It is only noticeable if you are very close to the unit and are outdoors. You can't heard them if you are driving by in a car.

None of the locals that I spoke to had any complaints about them.

That's good to know, sure might help defeat the "not in my back yard group" hope they get the tidal machines into a productive design,