Motion Sensor Security Lights

2»

Comments

• dhsola
    dhsola Solar Expert Posts: 38
    Re: Motion Sensor Security Lights

Yes, definitely hide the cameras. Someone told me the other day, the thieves are now stealing the security cameras!
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    local stores don't carry reed switches, not even radio shack who should change their name to phone shack.

You can probably still get them as components for add-ons to DYI security alarm systems. May not be the cheapest way, but one option.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

niel,

If you do not mind ordering items, all elcetronics does a very good job, and will still do telephone orders.

Alarm type magneti/reed switches:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MS-7/SPDT-N.O./N.C.-MAGNET-SWITCH/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MS-11/PRESS-FIT-MAGNET-SWITCH/1.html

I have no relationship with all, just a happy repeat customer. GL, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

options are good. both would be a bit high priced options for little magnetic switches though. this is an older thread, but i don't mind still hearing input for this.

shame on me as i haven't gone to any hamfests in more than a year to check if anybody has some cheap.
  • silvertop
    silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best things we did was to put in an electric driveway gate,our road is pretty remote with about 20 homes total. Several homes have been robbed ( my next door neighbor twice! ). I think this works better than a camera, If they need to work too hard they pick another house. I have Home Depot motion sensors along my long covered porch that turn on led overhead lights as you walk Ist covers about 24 feet then the next picks up from there and so on , all set on a 3 minute switch. Its wet and dark out in the country in the winter and the wife likes pulling up in the drive and the lampost and driveway light up......all LEDs......8)
  • niel

i fully agree in making things more difficult and i most certainly have been doing so even more lately as there have been incidents that have shown me weak areas i needed to address. the bottom line is that doesn't necessarily stop all of them and security lighting is just an added step. i would still like to rig something in addition to the lights to indicate somebodies presence. kind of a makeshift silent alarm maybe.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

A robotic scarecrow. It could shout "Hey! You! What are you doing here?" followed by the sound of a rifle bolt clicking into place. :p
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

EDITED TO SHOW LINK:
    leemike wrote: »
    Hi,I also use the motion sensor security cameras it's highly define security motion sensor,because There are three main criteria to picking the best outdoor motion detector light to fulfill your needs, be it for security or for convenience.Outdoor motion detector lights are also rated by their detection pattern, including coverage width, or their sensing angle measured in degrees.
    so use the technology for saving your precious lives and properties.

Though not necessarily a security add on, we use a Dakota Long Range Alert at our solar-powered gate. Our driveway is a mile-long, and this motion sensor/transmitter alerts us to anyone driving in from the county road. It has 3 sensitivity options-we use to get false alarms when our cattle would roam on that end of the property, BUT we always know when the 16ft gate swings open or closed.
    Initially we were skeptical that it would reach over a mile across our property with all the trees, brush, and cactus, but it doesn't miss a beat. We even bought the optional 'birdhouse' so that the all-weather transmitter blends in with the tree. Six AA batteries last about 6 months, subject to accumulation of false alerts. It was worth the price.

Moderators: I wanted to post a link to the product, but didn't want to get banned.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Go ahead and post the link. On topic links are fine.
    Heck, I just got reported for posting a link to naws.

I did not get banned. ;)

-Bill

I did a post that looked a bit spammy. You guys are a tough crowd.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Go ahead and post the link. On topic links are fine.
    Heck, I just got reported for posting a link to naws.

I did not get banned. ;)

-Bill

I did a post that looked a bit spammy. You guys are a tough crowd.

That made my day. :p
  • Slappy
    Slappy Solar Expert Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bill I got chuckle out of that one.
  • bmet
    A robotic scarecrow. It could shout "Hey! You! What are you doing here?" followed by the sound of a rifle bolt clicking into place. :p

At our local grocery store, they have soundtrack featuring screeches of predatory birds in the parking lot PA. They don't want hoards of grackles setting up roost, and it seems to work.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    At our local grocery store, they have soundtrack featuring screeches of predatory birds in the parking lot PA. They don't want hoards of grackles setting up roost, and it seems to work.

Church behind me has "distressed seagull" sounds to keep away woodpeckers..... :roll:
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Anyone looking for reed switches and window opening detection items many other security items could contact an Australian electronics parts business www.jaycar.com The have a USA and UK store also. They have some excellent items for solar and security and of course many other items of electronics parts.

This is an unpaid advert. But sadly for me I get nothing.. But thats life
  • niel

nice selection. even better prices. thanks john. edit for spellin
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I picked up a pair of motion sensor battery operate LED lights from Cosco which seem to work well. I plan on picking up a solar powered security light from Harbor Freight, on sale for $20, we will see how they like the Ohio winter.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

One of my suppliers of geek equipment : http://ca.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=reed+switches

Sells to me in USA or CDN

Also Some can build / engineer there own.

I have built a few for more items than just light switches .

VT
  • bmet
    I picked up a pair of motion sensor battery operate LED lights from Cosco which seem to work well. I plan on picking up a solar powered security light from Harbor Freight, on sale for $20, we will see how they like the Ohio winter.

I had also done this, but the 3 solutions from HF were never bright enough. As far as the Cosco product, it had to be returned after twice suffering from same design issue.

It's too easy to others to say, "just replace it with such-and-such". The problem is that "such-and-such" costs money, time, labor, fuel, and frustration. My parents had found a great product over a decade ago but it finally gave up to weather intrusion. No longer made, I purchased several crappy imitations to finally get to the product being carried by Cosco. It had great battery, great illumination, but faulty light sensor, so I ended my attempt to find a self-contained product. This was a year ago.

I shouldn't have to re-engineer a product that 'almost' works.