Options
2»

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help Me Choose A Charge Controller for My Somewhat Unusual Application
    silvertop wrote: »
    Just my two cents.... I have been running 3 XW MPPT60-150 off grid. They have the capacity to run off end amps AND an Absorbtion timer simultaneously

Yes, that is the way it should be. The MX60 was the same way as is the Classic. The Ending Amps can be used to end the absorb phase early this way.

Even if various DC loads are going on and off, if the CC happens to catch the current in-between times when appliances or whatever are off, the CC might actually end
    the absorb correctly if the user is lucky or sets the EA high enough to get around absolute known loads that don't go off.

Still, better to have a separate battery current sensor.

boB
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi silvertop,

My problems with the Schneider XW MPPT 60-150 -- the "XW SCC" -- are severalfold;

1. Bought this SCC from the company that hosts this Forum, at purchase, asked if these were fresh, and with the latest FirmWare, "yes. we just got them in from the mfg"
    They may have been fresh, but the BUGGY FW was SO poorly written, that the SCC would proudly state that it was in Absorb stage, when it was 1/3 of the way into Bulk. This really is a small technical detail, BUT would not trust what other license that Schneider had taken with the traditional nomenclature RE charge stages. These controllers and many other X/S products come from China, and the chain is very long ... S chooses to not update the FW inside stale products in inventory -- they make it the customer's problem and expense.

2. Installing the later FW to fix this BUG requires an Implanter tool, which is about $250 (this requirement is not stated in the manual). Or I could rent the Tool for about $45 ... Totally unacceptagle to me. Neither the seller, not X/S would do anything to correct this sitution.

3. This SCC lacks an all-important function for off-gridders -- An Aux output that states the CC is "in Float". In trying to lobby for this function, the astonished X/S rep wanted to know what other MPPT CCs had this rare & unusual function. They are really up on the off grid market!

4. X/S Customer/Tech service/support is quite spotty, inconsistant, error-prone and kinna a "You bought it, you got it" menatlity. New customers must be easy to find.

I am a very cheap date, very little would need to be done by the seller, or X/S to remedy this situation. My sense is that one or both of them could care less, so the drum beats, still. The MN Classic is made in USA, and the update hardware is built in.

st, am glad that you are happy with the performance of your SCCs, that is the most important thing. YMMV, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding the Classic Lite vs the Classic, just saw this comparison chart on the MN site:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/classic_classicLiteComparison.pdf
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.