Losing Business

Options
My business is in Georgia and we have a 10/100 kw law here. Max on residential is 10kw and commercial is 100kw. I have lost 3 potential clients due to the 10kw rule. These three customers are well off with large tax liabilities so solar would have been great for them but they didnt want to offset just 1/3 or 1/2 of their power. (these were larger homes. How many of you have run into this problem?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options
    Re: Losing Business

California, as I remember, has some limitations too. Above 10kW they can require stiffer rules for billing (billing grade meters, Internet/phone home capabilities, state rebates paid on actual performance, possibly less favorable net metering pay back).

I am not in the business--so this is just what I have read over the years.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Losing Business

IN central florida, Progress energy has a max 10KW AC system rule, which is around a 12KW solar array with deratting taken into account. For someone that uses their AC all the time a 10KW system will only cover around $140 per month in reduction. the actual bill is probably $270 on average. ( you can make a bigger system but you need a 1Million liability policy, more fees, etc, makes it uneconomical)

Of course, the long term solution is to simply get a 21 seer HVAC system to reduce heating and cooling expenses in half. Spending $10,000 on a new HVAC system is cheaper than spending $40,000 on an extra 10KW of Solar panels anyways!

Besides do you really think they are sincere when they tell you they are not going green because it only reduces their power bill in half? My guess is that is just an excuse they give you because they don't want it at all.