With 1160w of PV panels.. what can I expect??

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
After all this posting I never had anyone do a breakdown on what I can expect from my panels and such..

I know its usually like 52% from DC to the AC side.. but numbers would be appreciated. (I'm thinking like 62%..)

Heres my sun irradiance for my location which avg like 7 hours during the summer.. :cool:

panels26degree.jpg

I just upped it to 1160 watts of panels (145w 18 VMP & 8.05 IMP rated) and I have the Midnite Classic 150 and a 12v battery bank in the mix for now.. (yes I know 24v would be better).. it will be 2 panels in a series * 4 in parallel into the combiner box then into the Midnite MPPT (which then will drop it to the 14.4) for the 12v battery bank..

I am leaning toward a 600-700 ah battery bank unless someone has better numbers for me to think about..

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: With 1160w of PV panels.. what can I expect??

1160 Watts on a MidNite 150 ought to be in the 75 Amp max range. 3kW hours AC per day.

But so much depends on the particular site it is impossible to give a more accurate prediction than the 'ballpark' calculations.

Insolation, temperature, hours of daylight, and how you use the system will all affect performance.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    • 1,160 watts * 5.02 hours of sun (December) * 0.52 panel to AC inverter derating = 3,028 WH per day (December)
    • 1,160 watts * 7 hours of sun * 0.52 panel to AC inverter derating = 4,222 WH per day ("average" sun)
    You have a very capable system there. Add the lots of sun you have there--You should be very happy with your choices.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Looks good. Very similar to my system. 600 to 700 ah baterys would be good. I have 900 ah and it works well. Typicaly used for 2 to 3 days then a week or 2 with no load. Looks like all your homework and the fantastic help from this forum will get you a good system. Have fun. Regards peter.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

If you actually live in Van Horn, please say Hello to my second-cousin-n-law "Snuffy", who worked for years in your local auto parts store.
    Long ago, when I was in the Air Force, my car lost its water pump near Van Horn, and he came to my rescue. For his trouble, I gave him Indian Praelines that had been made by our step-grandmother(I didn't have the $50 to repay him at the time). This Indian candy was probably the last sweets made by Grandma May before she took sick, and Snuffy got them. Anyway, sorry this is off topic, but the last time I drove through Van Horn he wasn't home. Since she passed, I haven't spoken to him, seemed like he was a fixture there. Thank you.
  • ywhic
    Looks like all your homework and the fantastic help from this forum will get you a good system.

100% correct.. Without the help from this forum I'd have been skewed..

I'm leaning on 3 sets (of 2) of 210-220ah 6V GC batteries to start with. Though I may grab the larger Tojan L16RE-A 325ah battery and just buy 4 of them.. Thats pretty much the last piece for my initial setup puzzle..
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

al,
    part of the learning is in the battery choice initially made. once you have chosen a battery then you should not mix any others with it excepting the exact same battery and that we recommend to be done within a year by the dates on the batteries. if at the end of the lifespan of your present batteries that you wish to go to another battery then feel free to do so as the new ones will totally replace the old. if you still wish to add the l16s now then put in a switch like the blue seas types so they will not mingle with each other.
  • ywhic
    niel wrote: »
    al,
    part of the learning is in the battery choice initially made. once you have chosen a battery then you should not mix any others with it excepting the exact same battery and that we recommend to be done within a year by the dates on the batteries. if at the end of the lifespan of your present batteries that you wish to go to another battery then feel free to do so as the new ones will totally replace the old. if you still wish to add the l16s now then put in a switch like the blue seas types so they will not mingle with each other.

No worries I have no batteries yet.. got to wait for the move out to the cabin to install the entire mess..

When the D-Day comes I will check my fundage and go from their.

Field testing here in NJ has been limited to 1 marine 115 ah battery from wallyworld. Brother in law had just bought a new one so I was able to use that for testing of the panels and Midnite controller stuff.. :cool: