Is there a good way to splice Wire that will be in 1 1/4 inch conduit?

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
! piece of my wire is about 10 ft. too short without spliceing which would be in conduit. The distance is 325 ft. from the combiner shutoff switch to my gutter box where I originaly planned on locating the fronius gti. Is there a good way of spliceing the cable so it won,t deteriate in the wet conduit? If there isn,t a good way of spliceing Then I think I will just put the fronius GTI inverter in my utility room near the Magnum off/grid inverter I plan to AC couple to. Then I only need about 225 ft of wire to get to the gti inverter. The noise from the geo spring waterheater doesn,t bother me but the fan on the Magnum really roars when you are charging high Amps. My fronius inverters that are outside are preety quiet so I don,t think the noise from the fronius will be too noticable. I am undecided what to do. When I dig the wireing trench I could run conduit in and another piece of counduit back out and make the splice in my basement and go the original 325 ft if I decide not to keep the gti inverter in my utility room. solarvic

Comments

• nsaspook
    nsaspook Solar Expert Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    Re: Is there a good way to splice Wire that will be in 1 1/4 inch conduit?

A proper type and size bare metal butt crimp with 3M™ HDT tubing shrink seal should work.
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTt4XM6OXF6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=78-8129-9333-1.pdf

A local electrical house might have some pre-cut lengths.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

The submersible splices for well pumps will work and should be available from local pump suppliers.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

You should get a utility grade butt splice kit, complete with heat shrink, and silicone sealant. A good electrical supply house should be able to steer you properly.

Tony
  • solarvic

Thanks guys. I think I will try to get something to splice the wire so I can put the inverter with the others and follow my original plan. My alternate plan of locating in the utility room isn,t as safe and I don,t have the extra room needed without losing my storage for cleaning and laundry soap ect.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Also not a bad idea to p it the splice in a ground vault or hand hole so that you can inspect it now and again, and if it fails, you know where the joint is.

Tony
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Also not a bad idea to p it the splice in a ground vault or hand hole so that you can inspect it now and again, and if it fails, you know where the joint is.

Tony

...and it might be worth adding that that's the only code compliant method of doing it. Splices in conduit = not allowed.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »

Tony

Might also be good,to put a drip loop in as well.
  • solarvic

Went to electric supply house. Got a butt splice, shrink tube and real expensive rubber tape. They told me the rubber tape would seal it well and to put 2 layers of electric tape over the whole mess. The tapeis scotch brand professional grade linerless rubber splicing tape good for 130C. This tape is 1 1/2 inch x 30 ft x .030 thick and cost $22.95. How ya going to put a drip loop on a piece of wire burried in 1 1/4 inch conduit? Starting to get too expensive having hand holes and all that. Just going to use what the electrical supply store recomended and I bought. solarvic
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

i'm not an expert , but surely that tape will leak? every under ground splice I have seen has been encased with a gooey silicon like box to prevent water entrance.
  • solarvic

They don,t have gooy silican boxes that fit in 1 1/4 conduit. I havn,t definitly decided to make the splice or just put the inverter in my house. Then the wire would be long enough. :Dsolarvic:D
  • fix_it_guy
    fix_it_guy Solar Expert Posts: 26

I used to do irrigation on a golf course, we always used grease packs for splices. They are tubes filled with grease slightly larger in diameter than the wire nut, it had a snap cap that allowed the 2 wires out but sealed it up.
  • Bobodude
    Bobodude Registered Users Posts: 12 ✭✭

I had to make a couple of splices to reduce 4/0 al to #2 cu on the 70ft run from the array to the inveter. I used a Thomas-Betts tin plated reducer with hex set screws. Per the NEC you have to use a UL listed device. I then covered it with heavy shrink tubing and then a layer of 3m 2228 mastic tape. This was done inside a Nema 3 junction box which is moisture resistant. My AHJ was ok with the splice.
  • solarvic

I decided not to do the splice undergrund. I am putting the GTI inverter in my utility room and the wire will be long enough without needing a splice. The Goespring waterheater is beside it and the inverter fan will blow any heated air directly near the air intake of the waterheater. :Dsolarvic:D