first year off grid

Options
offgrid me
offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
Well my one year anniversery living off grid on solar is tomorrow morning. One long grey winter, one wet rainy spring, one easy summer and one nerve racking fall has passed since I flipped the switch on my off grid system. Im pretty thrilled with how it has all gone so far and dont think I would change much of what I have done with the design and install of the system. Thank god I found this site and studied every post for many months before I purchased a single piece of equipment. Many more mistakes would have been made at substantial costs both financially and mentally.
The idea going in was to design a system that would produce about 5kwh of power a day with minimal generator usage in not so solar friendly Maine. I came to the 5kwh number by monitoring all of our usage with a kilo watt meter. The only problem was that I was moving to a new house with a well and different appliances, so some guess work was needed. I guess I got lucky because my grand total usage for the year came out to 1342kwh with a total of 12hrs of generator usage. I dont think 3.67khw per day is to bad for a city slicker who moved to the country to follow a dream.
Thank you all for all the information you so willingly give to anyone who asks. I cant imagine how frustrating it must be to answer the same not so simple question "how much panel do I need to get off the grid" over and over. And thank you to NAWS for giving all of us a wonderful place to watch and learn everything that is solar.

Offgrid me
Ned Ellis

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: first year off grid

Congrats, and welcome to the fraternity! 3.76 kwh/day is pretty darn good.

Tony
  • Volvo Farmer
    Volvo Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Congratulations! Just curious about your measurements. Are you measuring the power into the batteries, or the power out of the batteries?
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

These were the measurements from the charge controller to the batteries. So I guess my actual AC usage was less than the 3.67kwh with charging and battery losses. I didnt get my battery monitor till halfway through the year.
    Ned
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

way to go. glad you found what you were looking for out of this forum and that it worked out so well for you.:D8)
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

I'm also impressed by your low usage; I bet your PV system is 'cruising' most days fulfilling your needs.

One question Ned, what are you doing to dry clothes in central Maine? Line dry only? Or do you have something else?