When charge controllers fight

Options
stephendv
stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
Hi all,

I'm thinking of AC coupling some panels to my existing Morningstar DC system, which will mean that I have 2 different chargers on the batteries. I'd like to take advantage of an additional charging profile available on my sunny island which will only come into effect every 14 days. But I want to use a different absorb voltage and time for this program than is used for the daily charging. So when two controllers have different absorb voltages, what happens?

- 2.8kW of solar is connected to the Morningstar
- 1kW will be connected through AC coupling to the Sunny Island (SI)

Morningstar MPPT absorbs at 2.4V for 2h30 minutes daily
The daily charging program on the SI will be exactly the same 2.4V for 2h30.
Then once every 14 days the SI will try to absorb at 2.5V for 1 hour

My guess is that if the SI is aiming for 2.5V but the morningstar for 2.4 then as soon as 2.4V is reached, the MS will start reducing the current to try and keep it at 2.4V. At the start of absorb the morningstar is likely to win the battle since the 1kW won't be enough to reach 2.5V.. but as absorb progresses and the battery is charged more, at some point the 1kW will be enough to raise the voltaje above 2.4V and it'll start heading off towards the 2.5V target.

Is this how it'll work?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: When charge controllers fight

Yep--But it does not take that much current to equalize a battery bank (around 2.5% to 5% if there are no other DC loads). So, if the SMA is capable of raising the battery bank voltage--it will. The MS charger will simply stop supplying current, but it will not "dump" any excess current (unless there is another charger configured as a dump controller).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

:confused: I'd be lying if I said this makes sense to me.

For those who don't know: AC coupling does not involve a second charge controller; it back-feeds the battery-based inverter.
    If you are using a Sunny Island it will do a fine job of regulating charging via this method; it's made for it (especially if using a Sunny Boy GTI).
    There's no reason why you should want to change the charge profile from time to time on any given set of batteries; stick with the Voltage/time that works.

Otherwise if you charge batteries from two sources that do have different Voltage settings (such as when using PWM controller with MPPT where the PWM does not have precise setting controls) the one set to a lower Voltage will drop current trying to keep the Voltage low as the other tries to bring it up. In some cases where the charger capacities are near equal it will hold the battery bank in Absorb at the lower Voltage while the time runs out, which means the battery bank ends up getting two Absorb cycles; one at the lower Voltage and one at the higher. This results in too much Absorb time and an excess loss of water so it is not recommended.

Before anyone starts to argue, yes I have actually seen this with my own system while running the built-in charger from the generator (and playing with the numbers; remember I do this stuff so you don't have to). This is why we usually only do this to Bulk charge and let the solar do the Absorb/Float stages.

Your 1 hour of 2.5 Volts per cell every 14 Days is an Equalization cycle, not an Absorb cycle.

If the Morningstar is connected to a separate battery bank and you are using an inverter off that bank which is AC coupled to the Sunny Island the settings on the Morningstar are irrelevant; it has no way of knowing the Voltage in the Sunny Island's bank. The AC coupling eliminates the DC connection and simply provides an AC source for the SI to use much like hooking it up to a generator; its own charging program will function however it is programmed.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

I will also add that too much equalization is not good either. In general, equalization is over charging other series battery cells to bring up any weak cells in the string. If all cells are already fully charged, then nothing is accomplished other than generating excess oxygen which corrodes the positive plate grids and electrolyzing water (plus wearing out catalyst if AGM type cells), etc.

So--My suggestion is to only manual equalize when you have indications (via SG readings) when the cells are actually unbalanced and need equalization. (some vendors recommend equalization every few months--alwasy read the vendor information/manuals).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stephendv
    Options

Thanks both,

The idea behind this is twofold: first preventing daily overcharging damage because my charge controller has a fixed absorb time, and secondly ensuring that my tall batts don't stratify.

So taking the first one, since the MS can only use a fixed absorb time I have to choose between undercharging or overcharging the batts. I can never get it just right because my loads are never identical on different days. So instead of overcharging everyday to ensure that the batts are at 100%, I want to aim for 95% daily then once every 2 weeks do a longer absorb to ensure they hit 100%.
    This approach is recommended by victron in their book Energy Unlimited

Since I can do this special charge every 2 weeks I might as well tackle the second problem I stratification by charging at a slightly higher voltage. This will not be an EQ charge! EQ will happen on its own every 3 months-6 months.
    This is just a special absorb charge at a slightly higher voltage and for a longer time.

Just wanted to make sure that the two chargers (the sunny island and the Morningstar) wouldn't do strange things with different voltages.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The lower "set" voltage charge source will simply back off its charge current. Unless I am missing something as long as your normal charge routine is a lower voltage "setpoint" than the new charge routine you will be fine.

This is commonly done with generator systems that do not have enough solar. One sets the solar to a higher setpoint than the generator dc charge voltage and they use max solar and can save fuel. I am missing something aren't I?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am missing something aren't I?

Me too.
    The mention of AC coupling got me confused: "1kW will be connected through AC coupling to the Sunny Island".
    In that case the SI becomes the second charge controller, as though it's being fed from a gen, right?
    This begs the question of how the 1kW is turning into AC to back-feed the SI.
    He could certainly use more than 2.8 kW of panel on 900 Amp hours of 48 Volt battery.
    By why 1kW AC coupled? That implies the use of a GT inverter, a very small one or perhaps some micro-inverters. This would supplement the SI's 5kW capacity while the sun is up, but really will only add about 50% of the panel that battery bank needs for a good charge.
    All sort of sounds out of balance to me. Instead of buying extra GT inverter(s) to do this I'd just get another controller and put the new panels on it.
    If he actually needs more AC capacity (hard to imagine) add another off-grid inverter to the same battery. But there still wouldn't be enough panel for that forklift battery.

It'd help if we knew what the problem was that he's trying to overcome. There's more than one way, as they say.
  • stephendv
    Options
    This begs the question of how the 1kW is turning into AC to back-feed the SI.

GTI.
    He could certainly use more than 2.8 kW of panel on 900 Amp hours of 48 Volt battery.

Over here, 2.8kW is mostly just fine for that battery. I've only gone through 1 winter so far and have never taken the battery to below 60% SoC (granted it was a weirdly sunny winter). From April to August it very rarely drops below 85% SoC
    By why 1kW AC coupled? That implies the use of a GT inverter, a very small one or perhaps some micro-inverters. This would supplement the SI's 5kW capacity while the sun is up, but really will only add about 50% of the panel that battery bank needs for a good charge.

Ok, some reasons why I'd like to AC couple:

- I can use the additional fortnightly charge parameter of the SI to stir the electrolyte and do a "full" charge as I explained in post number 5 above.
    - Due to a change of plans when building our house, the result is that I have a system distributed over a big area. House is 400m from battery inverter. Well pump is 500m away from inverter and 200m from house. This means that I could be pulling 4kW through a long cable if the wrong loads are on at the wrong time. Having some generation mounted on the house roof, closer to the loads would relieve some of this draw.
    - The frequency control gives me a convenient way to turn on opportunity loads along the AC line using frequency dependent relays. So instead of having my well pump on a timer I could only turn it on when there's surplus PV power.
    - My panels are statically mounted and I have no wind turbine, so other than everything working fine, it's all extremely boring. At least with a fluctuating AC frequency I'll have something to look at ;)

I used my generator about 2 hours total in winter but had to be very vigilant with the loads in the house. In this climate it's possible to go 100% solar without having to skimp on the loads, which is what I'm aiming to do with more PV. Currently I can get Yingli panels for $0.70/Watt or new thin film for $0.36/Watt so it's hard to justify NOT installing more PV.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Network a second charge controller that has different EQ set-points. Or, install the network controll in your office and have it remind you to change the set-point whenever you want. Always keep it simple offgrid
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net