Need online solar calculator that calculates return on investment, monthly savings, etc.

Options
http://sharpusa.cleanpowerestimator.com/default.aspx
The calculator above assumes that the LOWEST a system costs to install is $4 per watt DC.

If you are installing it yourself the cost is more like $2/watt D.C.

Is there any solar calculator out there that will allow you to enter in lower cost values and give you all the financial benefits like break even year, savings, per month/year, etc.

This site below lists a few, but wondering if there is something better as that artical is 4 years old.

http://www.getwithgreen.com/2008/09/21/solar-will-solar-save-you-we-review-the-bestworst-solar-calculators/

I know I could do the calculations manually, via pvwatts but I'm lazy.

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need online solar calculator that calculates return on investment, monthly savings,

To me it sounds like a myth that you can self install a solar system for $2 a watt with good quality components. It would be nice if you could explain how to do it! I think it cost me at least that much for everything I needed for the polemount racks.:confused: solarvic
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need online solar calculator that calculates return on investment, monthly savings,

Well lets see what I got so far.

1- Midnite Classic 150 $543
    6- 145w panels $915
    10 AWG PV wire (100 feet) $45
    6 AWG wire (10 feet) $12
    100 Breaker $13
    250 amp Bluesea fuse and holder $34
    Bluesea Battery Switch $26
    Combiner Box (QO) with 6 breakers.. $54
    MC4 connections $12
    Cheap mounts x6 $54

Total is $1708

I have no batteries and no inverter yet.. which I figure will be another $1500

$3208 if all goes right..

and my 870 (STC) watts of panels will get me about 452 watts per hour to the AC side.. (about 37.6 amps per hour)..

I stink at math so maybe someone can figure the cut / % on this.. looks like $3.68/DC watt.. and $7.09/AC watt..
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,443 admin
    Options

I think this is more weighted towards Grid Tied systems (no batteries or charge controllers).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Once again much depends on where you are at. Up here you couldn't even buy the panels for $2 a Watt (even out of Arizona; once you cross the border the costs mount up). Weigh it against the ten cent electric and you get a payback time of around "never" (the equipment may need replacement before any value is realized).

But I agree with Rolland that any such calculator ought to allow you to put in your particular costs, not a generic $ number.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

Yes $2 a watt is for grid tie only doing a self install.
    $1/watt for panels
    $0.50 a watt for inverters
    $0.25 for racking
    $0.25 BOS, wiring, combiner boxes, cut off switches, conduit, etc.

Just priced up a 10K system and it was $2.20 a watt before any rebates. Easily less than that after rebates.
  • photonik
    photonik Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    Is there any solar calculator out there that will allow you to enter in lower cost values and give you all the financial benefits like break even year, savings, per month/year, etc.

This PV ROI calculator does what you want, I think: http://pvcalc.org/pvcalc
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Options

thanks i'll check it out.