battery switch

91winsun
91winsun Registered Users Posts: 14
about those red Blue Seas battery switches that have 1 and 2 and common. The 1 and 2 get the hot line from the batteries..??
and the hots continue out from the common to the loads..?? yea/nay??

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: battery switch

Yes, that's the usual way: 1 to one battery bank, 2 to the other, common to the inverter/load. That way the load can draw of one bank, the other bank, or both.
    It can also be used to switch a charge controller between two banks, but it's so easy to forget to switch!
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's the usual way: 1 to one battery bank, 2 to the other, common to the inverter/load. That way the load can draw of one bank, the other bank, or both.
    It can also be used to switch a charge controller between two banks, but it's so easy to forget to switch!
    Or you can use it to switch one battery bank between two inverters which are driving different loads...
    Just so it is on the DC side and used within its ratings.
    Coot: Is this a break-before-make or make-before-break switch? The latter would give you continuity of power to the loads at the expense of momentarily shorting the two battery banks together.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot

Make-before-break for the 350 and 300 Amp 1+2 switches. Not sure if they have any other models.
    The usual application is two batteries for one load with either/both/neither.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

I'm using the Blue Sea 6006 model switches. All my batteries are tied to buss bars, so they all get a good charge and an equal discharge. The switches I'm using are simple on/off, with two threaded contacts on the back. Each switch controls a separate 1800W inverter, and is connected to the positive buss bar with 4/0 cable with each cable having it's own 250A Class-T fuse inline.

Blue Sea has several models to choose from. Reasonably priced. Mine were under $25 each.

The specs for the 6006:

Inrush Rating: 0.25 sec (10 repeats)* 1,500 Amperes DC
    Cranking Rating: 9.75 sec (10 repeats)* 700 Amperes DC
    Intermittent Rating: 5 min (UL 1107) 500 Amperes DC
    Continuous Rating: (UL 1107) 300 Amperes DC
    Terminal Stud, Tin-Plated Copper 3/8"-16 (M10)
    Torque 140 in-lbs.
    Cable Size to Meet Ratings1 4/0 AWG (95mm2)
    Voltage Rating 48 Volts DC Maximum
    Cable Clearance For 4/0 Cables 1.12" (25.4mm)
    Case Material Reinforced Polycarbonate
    CE Marked

dscn7145.jpg

dscn7147.jpg

A third Blue Sea switch disconnects all the DC loads connected to the DC Distribution Fuse Panel (middle panel):

dscn7174.jpg
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭

Since I was thinking of buying one of those, I ask: If it is used to wire two (2) banks to the same inverter, then, do I connect both neutrals (-) from the different banks to the same negative/neutral in the inverter???
  • Cariboocoot
    JESSICA wrote: »
    Since I was thinking of buying one of those, I ask: If it is used to wire two (2) banks to the same inverter, then, do I connect both neutrals (-) from the different banks to the same negative/neutral in the inverter???

Whoa. Terminology issue: the DC IN on an inverter does not have a "neutral". It has a negative and a positive. When you connect two inverters to one bank or one inverter to two banks you need only switch the positive. Negative connections on DC systems are common throughout (except in the case of positive ground systems which I have to mention to appease the nit-pickers :p ).
  • Cariboocoot

Robert, your installs are just too good to be true!
    Couldn't you put a wire that's kinda squiggly and too long and out-of-place-just-a-little-bit somewhere so it looks like the kind of systems we normally see? You know; the ones installed by a blind man during a hurricane. :p
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Marc, he never shows us the panel backs... leaves us guessing... but I agree, it is over the top neat!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • 2manytoyz
    Robert, your installs are just too good to be true!
    Couldn't you put a wire that's kinda squiggly and too long and out-of-place-just-a-little-bit somewhere so it looks like the kind of systems we normally see? You know; the ones installed by a blind man during a hurricane. :p

Oh, you want to see INSIDE, eh? Nothing to see here, move along...

dscn7287.jpg

Granted, it wasn't done yet, but you get the idea. 4/0 cable is a bit of a pain to wrestle into position.

Here's the previous setup, happy now (big mess!)?

dscn4113.jpg
  • Cariboocoot

You think that's a mess?
    You're never going to win your Mad Scientist Badge with installations like that! :p

(Before anyone asks; no. Mine is a prime example of "Kids! Don't try this at home!" because I take it apart and reconfigure it over and over while I try things out so you don't have to. It's 99 44/100ths "temporary".)
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

Even more off topic but cariboo, I think that warrants a few pictures!
  • 2manytoyz

Alright, you've cracked the lid on Pandora's Box. Let's see what's inside!

PICS!!!