Mean Well TN-3000 for UPS

Options
danielh
danielh Solar Expert Posts: 69 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone have any experience/thoughts on using a Mean Well TN-3000 inverter/charge in a critical-loads UPS?

I am thinking of 2-300 AH battery pack, which might be a bit large for it's charging rate (the somewhat terse specs say "CHARGE CURRENT (Typ.): 6A @ 57V).
Would it be advisable to add a ~20A AC charger to the setup?
Even if not required for adequate (>5%) charging rate, I am thinking that might be a good means of using a genset to charge the batteries during an outage.

The inverter would connect to a 120V "critical loads" subpanel (the 240V output versions of this don't seem to support USA style single phase). I was thinking of a Blue Sea 120V panel (might be overkill).

Note that the main appeal of this is the price (<$1000). But perhaps it isn't worth it, perhaps something like an Outback 3048 or 3648 is better, after all issues are considered. But $1000 better (after adding in the Outback Mate)?

BTW: This will be parallel to a larger grid-tied PV install I am planning. Ideally, I would prefer an AC coupled or hybrid system, but that stretches my current budget a bit too much.
BTW2: The TN-3000 has inputs for a few solar panels, but I doubt I would use them (given the inability to grid-tie such panels).

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Mean Well TN-3000 for UPS

I have a TN-1500-124F, I have only had it a couple weeks, so I can't tell you much. What I do know is that I never could find a " G " model that has a Terminal strip hookup. The " F " model has a duplex GFI outlets, if your happy with that. I think this has something to do with the UL safety rating.

The DC input is kind of weird, I ended up extending them with a couple brass bars because my terminal ends would not slide into the wire sockets, they were to narrow for USA lugs. The TN-3000 does not look the same as TN-1500.

The AC charger is very small because they are set up to use the solar input first to power the load and charge, but that is limited to 30 amps on mine.

You can get a remote control " IRC-3 " to turn it off and on and it has a LED's for the information. It's about 3 times as bright as it needs to be, you almost need sun glasses to look at it..... It does tell you a lot though. Digital read out would be nice.
  • danielh
    Options
    I have a TN-1500-124F, I have only had it a couple weeks, so I can't tell you much. What I do know is that I never could find a " G " model that has a Terminal strip hookup. The " F " model has a duplex GFI outlets, if your happy with that. I think this has something to do with the UL safety rating.

The DC input is kind of weird, I ended up extending them with a couple brass bars because my terminal ends would not slide into the wire sockets, they were to narrow for USA lugs. The TN-3000 does not look the same as TN-1500.

The AC charger is very small because they are set up to use the solar input first to power the load and charge, but that is limited to 30 amps on mine.

You can get a remote control " IRC-3 " to turn it off and on and it has a LED's for the information. It's about 3 times as bright as it needs to be, you almost need sun glasses to look at it..... It does tell you a lot though. Digital read out would be nice.

Sounds like you aren't thrilled with it, but it doesn't stink-on-ice. Also sounds like the TN-3000 might be more flexible (i.e.;the specs show that the TN-3000 has a "terminal" input/output, behind the grommet)

Are you using the solar inputs (30A charging would be sufficient)? Since the TN's are'nt grid-tie capable, I am reluctant to dedicate PV panels to it;
    it would take away from what I can sell back to the utility.
    Also the energy-saving-mode where it is most useful would work the battery.

But perhaps I am missing something?
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    danielh wrote: »
    Sounds like you aren't thrilled with it, but it doesn't stink-on-ice. Also sounds like the TN-3000 might be more flexible (i.e.;the specs show that the TN-3000 has a "terminal" input/output, behind the grommet)

Are you using the solar inputs (30A charging would be sufficient)? Since the TN's are'nt grid-tie capable, I am reluctant to dedicate PV panels to it;
    it would take away from what I can sell back to the utility.
    Also the energy-saving-mode where it is most useful would work the battery.

But perhaps I am missing something?
    It's Ok, hard to get excited about a Inverter after you'v had many of them. It seems to work, when they don't it's hard to get anyone to get them repaired or warranty work done. I don't have any solar going to it, I have a charge controller on that bank. The solar charger it limited as I said to 30 amps and that does not fit my setup. The Solar plug is a 6 pin with with 3 inputs on a pigtail that are all paralleled, they must have done that to get the amp capacity.

Over all it a nice looking inverter.
  • danielh
    Options
    It's Ok, hard to get excited about a Inverter after you'v had many of them. It seems to work, when they don't it's hard to get anyone to get them repaired or warranty work done. I don't have any solar going to it, I have a charge controller on that bank. The solar charger it limited as I said to 30 amps and that does not fit my setup. The Solar plug is a 6 pin with with 3 inputs on a pigtail that are all paralleled, they must have done that to get the amp capacity.

Over all it a nice looking inverter.
    Just out of curiousity, what are you using it for?
    Also, did you get the monitoring software (I can't find it for sale anywhere)
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    danielh wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, what are you using it for?
    Also, did you get the monitoring software (I can't find it for sale anywhere)
    I have a couple lights and a 5000 btu ac hooked to it. I didn't see that software either. I downloaded the manual for it and it has a db9 connector on the cord and has a warning NOT to use a USB adapter with it and none of my laptops have that connector any more, so I bought the remote instead.

Added : I guess I answered my own question on how the TN-3000 is hooked up to the AC input... Hardwired. The TN-1500 has a 20 amp power cord that requires a 20 amp receptacle. It looks like you hardwire the inputs and outputs and also have two 15A receptacle's on the Inverter.