XW 4024 quick brownout before switching to invert?

topper
topper Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭
My xw4024 is acting a little strange lately. Almost every night at 5-6PM my line voltage drops to 106 VAC. That may be an issue on my end so not a concern right now. When the inverter kicks in, the power drops long enough to reset my TV, microwave, and tv boxes.
My system sits primarily as a backup only. Batteries always in float @ 27.3(24 volt system). Shouldn't the inverter be seamless??
Any XW info would be great. Hands on knowedge would be better.
Thanks.
Ken

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: XW 4024 quick brownout before switching to invert?

no inverter is actually seamless, as you put it, as all of them have a lag time. it may be the relay inside has been sticking or is about to go bad. if it is under warranty then try to contact them, or your installer if you have one, to see about getting that fixed.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

I had the 'brownout' situation until I changed the settings on my inverter. Don't remember what numbers exactly but I programmed it to switch to inverter power at a higher level (maybe 105V? maybe higher? I'm not home to look and it's been a few years). But I haven't had the brownout problem since.

Try kicking up the voltage level that causes the inverter to kick in and see if that helps.

Phil
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

For some reasons, "real" power failures appear to be much "messier" than those I could generate in a lap with simple variac's and cycle dropout boxes.

In the lab with good quality UPS's, I could never get a fail-over that would cause a desktop computer to reboot. From what I heard/saw in the field--I would not be surprised if 10% of the fail overs still rebooted the computers.

If you really need 100% reliable power--Then need to look at continuous conversion UPS systems (power to charger to battery bank to inverter 100% of time).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • topper

My backup doesn't need to be 100% but would be nice not having to reset all the clocks, reboot computer, reboot tv boxes & tv etc.
    The inverter will not allow me to reset the minimum voltage to invert. It appears to be "locked out". I assume under the UL protocalls.
    I am however still looking into the initial cause of the problem to see if it is indeed the grid or if it has to do with a loose connection, Main panel or Backup panel. Just haven't had the time recently.
    I will let you all know what I find.
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try running your inverter in grid support mode. In this mode, the inverter is running and the delay to full invert mode will be less noticeable.

Also in the advanced settings menu for the AC you should be able to change the low AC value. I did not go all the way down but mune let me get into the mid 90 volt range without squalking.
  • topper

Well today I had time at the time it happened again. Grid voltage dropped to 104VAC at 5:30PM.
    I was able to reset my minimum voltage down. Don't know why I couldn't last time I tried. Anyway, I reset the Minimum to 100VAC. Grid support is enabled.
    Thanks for all your input. Hopefully this fixes the issue.