Hydrogen Detector Recommendations

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Hydrogen Detector Recommendations

I had an H2 detector when first living off grid. The batteries were in a box in the basement, with a Zepher battery box ventilator always running. The unit worked sometimes, other times not. My installer had access to lab grade detector (showing how many ppm concentration of H2). The detector was supposed to alarm at 1% concentration of H2, but would alarm at .1%. Alarms would happen during an absorb cycle, in other words daily. Drove my poor dog nuts!

After replacing the detector 2 times I said forget it! Even with the fan off the concentration when absorbing would not reach 1% (as per the lab grade equipment). I won't put another one in.

Ralph
  • systemsplanet
    systemsplanet Registered Users Posts: 2

wow. thanks for the quick, thoughtful reply. Sounds like good advice...wonder if insurance companies will require one?
  • British
    British Registered Users Posts: 3

;)When I first started getting into solar I took a look at hydrogen detectors, Then I thought that because my system was only going to be between 400 & 500 amp I would come up with my own idea. After my panels were on the roof and I put in my solar charger / regulator I came up with this, I tapped into the input on my regulator and took it to where I mounted a 12 volt single pole single through relay, N/O and in the up spout of my battery box I installed a 4 inch 12-volt 0.26 amp cooling fan for a computer that I got at radio shack, So now when the sun comes up the output from the panels powers the coil to my 12 volt relay, the contact is connected to the (+) pos. on my battery bank with a 2 amp inline fuse and the (-) neg. is directly connected to the (-) neg. on the fan. So then the panels start the fan in the morning and turn it off in the evening. It has been working perfectly now for 3 years. Total cost for parts $ 13.00 dollars. Also note that the upstack a 4 inch PVC pipe is connected to a standard dryer vent.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yep--many times going back with the "simple" ideas works out best. You will use a bit more power because the fan is on 12 hours per day--But if you have a large array and a small fan/load, it does not really hurt anything.

Nice job.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • British
    British Registered Users Posts: 3

Thanks Bill, I don't know if I mentioned it but the fan draws 0.26 amps on the DC side so for 12 hours of operation it would use 3 amps at 12 volts DC or about 36 watts, So that is only about 1/3 of one panel for one hour, Yea, that is not a big deal.