30 Amp Transfer Switch Question

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
I am looking hevily at a simple 30 amp auto transfer switch..

Its a GoPower clone of the Iota type with 2 year warranty.

Has the 20-30 second delay or ByPass mode switch..

I asked back in April in that thread about wiring but nobody answered me..

I plan on running a inverter to it, and a generator as a backup.. and feeding my LOADCENTER (aka my main 110 AC panel for the cabin)..

Would the wiring be INVERTER where it says FROM INVERTER, and then the generator on the shoulder (SIDE) lead wires, and my load center (aka cabin feed) on the bottom??

Obviously without power from the genny, I would think the Inverter circuit would be supplying the power..

And do I want the 20-30 delay, or just direct transfer with no delay (aka bypass on)? I am thinking no delay and instant..

Also do I need to initially supply this power with a genny to set the switch up?? or can I just wire it up with the inverter powering thru it?? (as I don't plan on buying a genny right away)...

wiringTS30.jpg

Again it may seem like a silly question but I don't want to blow up my inverter in the process..

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: 30 Amp Transfer Switch Question

I think this is the April thread where you asked your question:

Transfer switch from inverter to generator

And here is an earlier thread about the 20 second delay and making a Grid / Inverter setup (UPS) instead (inverter was backup power and did not need 20 second delay):

Powermax Auto Transfer Switch Morningstar Suresine standby mode issue

The whole idea behind the 20 second delay was for the generator to come up to speed and get a little warmed up before getting hit with a load--As I recall, there is on/off setting for the 20 second delay--And the system worked find with the 20 second delay turned off.

For your needs, I personally would keep the 20 second delay... Why load the genset as you are starting it up.

Assuming you have an AC battery charger (powered by the genset) for backup charging of your battery bank. You will want the charger connected to the "generator" side of the circuitry. You don't want the AC battery charger on the "Mains" "To Panel" side of the switch. That would cause the inverter to power the AC battery charger and recharge the battery bank (with power from the AC Inverter).

You might want to create a generator panel too--For those loads you only want powered by the genset (AC Battery Charger, saws/tools, etc.), as well as the generator side of the transfer switch.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ywhic

Thanks.. no charger in the mix as of yet.. I just want to make sure I was wiring it correctly..

So is the wiring pattern as shown correct for my application??
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is the manual for the transfer switch (I think, PDF):

http://gpelectric.com/files/gpelectric/Docs/Manuals/Go_Power_MAN_GP_TS-30_vC.pdf

I have not installed this type of transfer switch--But it appears that everything is correct according to the documentation.

As far as I can tell, no you do not need a generator to configure anything. Without a running genset, it should remain with the inverter as the source of AC power (whether or not inverter is powered up). It does not appear there should be any phantom loads from the control board/relay if connected as you suggest.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CATraveler
    CATraveler Solar Expert Posts: 98 ✭✭✭✭

A 30A transfer switch is very common in RVs. The default connection is shore power - inverter for you. When gen power is detected the relays click over after a delay allowing the gen to first stablize. No programming or setup is required.
  • ywhic

Thanks.. just figured I'd ask before I order it up.. looks simple.. but sometimes simple isn't..