Morningstar SS 20 L 12 volt controller

Morning star ss20 l 12 volt charge controller

Hello I am curios to find out if anyone else is having problems with this controller. my first one failed after one year said it was charging but it was not.I trusted the idiot light when we put the RV away for the season with a 95w 5.5 amp panel to maintain the batteries. the long and short is batteries continued to discharge.I contacted support and after doing some tests it was determined the controller had failed. They sent me a replacement installed it and after a few days I was getting a light show every night turns out a problem with their second generation controller ( ss20l 12 v ) they are very slow at answering my emails to find out what is going on. I have been patient with them but it is many months now with out a controller that works so the batteries are being maintained at home. These are agm batteries and not cheap and heavy for some one with a bad back.I am trying to see if they are damaged but not sure if they are because I do not know how long they had been under charged.It will be diifficult to put them back in the rig untill I am sure I have a working controller looking for others that may have had this or a similar problem .

any info would be appreciated.

grampaw

Comments

• PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Re: Morningstar SS 20 L 12 volt controller

I have two of their second-generation controllers, and wonder if something is shorting the panel input accidentally? They warn that a shorted panel input or shorted load will definitely damage them.

Might be a two-pronged problem - perhaps somewhere there is a short in the system causing the battery to discharge, in addition to damaging the controller.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You might try phoning them directly too... Email support for many vendors seems to be lacking.

If you are read for a more sophisticated controller, some folks here have the Rogue 30 amps 12/24 volt MPPT type charge controllers and are very happy with them (not cheap at over $325 for the controller).

Regarding what went wrong with your current controller--Looking for cut insulation on wiring and such would be where I would start.

Also, what is the Vmp/Imp/Array configuration of your solar panels? Something "out of spec." there?

And welcome to the forum!

-Bill

PS: Check for cut insulation and other possible shorts. Also do you have anything other than the solar array and battery bank connected directly to the controller? Also, are all the DC loads turned off/disconnected when in storage?
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DLwindsun
    DLwindsun Administrators Posts: 34 admin

grampaw,

Morningstar is having an issue with the third generation controls right now. Basically the exact problem you mentioned.
    We have been told to have all of our customers contact Morningstar direct.
    MORNINGSTAR - 215-321-445
  • grampawanderson
    grampawanderson Registered Users Posts: 5
    DLwindsun wrote: »
    grampaw,

Morningstar is having an issue with the third generation controls right now. Basically the exact problem you mentioned.

That is what I suspected I hope that the outsourcing of production has not damaged a respected member of the solar community. Sad that it has come to this what ever happened to good American and Canadian products. perhaps this is an assumption on my part but given today's economic conditions I suspect I am correct. question now is where does one find a product reasonably priced to replace the inferior goods we are getting. thank you for your replies

grampaw
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

I have the 10 amp version of this controller, and so far it has been on autopilot for over a year without issue. Is there information about affected serial numbers of this family of contollers?

On your RV loads, there are always parasite requirements by law( LP Gas detector is one). I hope your issue is limited to controller.
    That is what I suspected I hope that the outsourcing of production has not damaged a respected member of the solar community. Sad that it has come to this what ever happened to good American and Canadian products. perhaps this is an assumption on my part but given today's economic conditions I suspect I am correct. question now is where does one find a product reasonably priced to replace the inferior goods we are getting. thank you for your replies

grampaw
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    question now is where does one find a product reasonably priced to replace the inferior goods we are getting.

Look no further than Washington state in the Arlington area, to MidNite Solar... not at the bottom end of the power scale but... they rock...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • grampawanderson
    grampawanderson Registered Users Posts: 5
    DLwindsun wrote: »
    grampaw,un saver

True to their word the replacement for the replacement has arrived . I was glad to get rid of the El cheapo Blue pl#n*t shut type controller . another piece of junk I was using to get something into the batteries' while I waited.Put the new ss 20 l 12 volt controller on and it seems to be working flawlessly.
    I sure hope they have the problem corrected for all the folks that had problems with that batch. I plan on upgrading my system( will keep the SS for back up) and will go with the MS TRISTAR 45 pwm controller because it is programmable, takes the larger size wire I use and is expandable. I will get more power for my batteries (another panel) and still be better off then just trying to get a boost which I need with the more expensive MPPT type controller . My reasoning being add a matching panel and if that does not do it then add one more and I will have enough . If I spent the bigger bucks for the MPPT and then had to add a panel I still probably would not have quite enough .

That is my story and sticking with it . Will up date only if I experience more trouble with the Sun-saver

Thanks for all the replies

grampaw