6 AWG wire ratings..

I have 4 AWG multi-strand (boat wire) that won't fit in the Midnite classic 4 AWG hole.. it mangles it..

I have 6 AWG mulit-strand wire that also has multi-strand and fits in the hole(s) just fine..

I have read 55 65 75 as AMP ratings based on 60C, 75C & 90C insulation.

The 6 AWG has Wet 75C and DRY 105C (its boat wire)

So I would guess I am at 65 amps for max current thru this 6AWG correct??

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: 6 AWG wire ratings..

As I recall, SAE (Boat) wire gauge is slightly smaller than American Wire gauge (AW gauge is 6 to 10% larger than SAE gauge from one website).

And, Wire Gauge is based on is based on cross sectional wire area (actual conductive material).

A single solid wire diameter is smaller diameter than a stranded wire.

Very fine stranded wire is larger diameter vs coarse stranded wire.

Typically, if the current capacity of the wire meets the cross section of the wire (i.e., you need 8 AWG for carrying current, but we use 6 awg for lower resistance)... you can trim the excess 6 awg to a smaller diameter to fit the hole in the connector.

Note that very fine wire should have a clamp/crimp connector designed for fine wire. Using very fine wire (like welding cable) in a clamping/crimping system for standard NEC wiring (solid or coarse stranding), it can come loose fairly easily and become a poor electrical connection.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

read this: http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=581.0
    Midnite knows there is a problem.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭

I just want to be sure it can handle the 65 (or less) amps safely..

Thank you vtMaps for the link back to them..

The 4 AWG I have is ALOT of strands (7 bundles of strands).. and is TC Copper.. its almost as thick as my THHN 2 AWG I just bought today from HDepot for my battery leads from my Copper Bus/Terminal Board project..

I used the 6 AWG I have here from the old controller for now, I just want to be sure its ok to utilize..
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I hate to buy anything I think is overpriced, but there is a time that I just go with the flow and eat one less Big Mac. A bad connection can cost you way more than the cost of these. I tried to resource them elsewhere, no joy.

2 & 4 gauge custom lugs. By the way , the price is for one each, not a pair.

http://store.thesolarbiz.com/online/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TSB-102804&type=0&eq=&desc=Battery-Charger-Lug-Custom-4-Gauge&key=it

http://store.thesolarbiz.com/online/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TSB-102802&type=0&eq=&desc=Battery-Charger-Lug-Custom-2-Gauge&key=it
  • ywhic

Is there any major downside to trimming some of the 4 AWG off to get it into the terminal??

@ Blackcherry.. the min online order is $20.. :cry: I may/may not call them later today..
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I don't know if a regular lug is long enough to do it. ANCOR Marine lugs are a little longer and beefier that most box store lugs, you might be able to with them. My luck is that in the end it might cost me more, especially if I draw blood in the process.

The problem is any connection that attaches to a pcb board in some way is that the heat of a bad connection is a death sentence. Of course any high AMP connection should be checked for tightness often. # 6 awg with over 50 amps does get warm, I wouldn't call it hot.
  • ywhic

I was referring to the Midnite Classic 150 terminal..

I hear you on the blood.. 2nd tip don't wipe eyes after playing with batteries..
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    ywhic wrote: »
    I was referring to the Midnite Classic 150 terminal..

I hear you on the blood.. 2nd tip don't wipe eyes after playing with batteries..
    And wash your hands BEFORE going to the bathroom. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Trim some strands of wire off to fit the connection.

Or, get some solid or coarse stranded wire that will fit and bring it out to a junction box where you can use a split bolt or other method to splice the two cables together.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • willardj
    willardj Registered Users Posts: 15

If your still looking at wire and lugs this place has some good prices. Wire size from #6 to #4/0- https://weldingsupply.securesites.net/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::PA#A2
    Lugs- https://weldingsupply.securesites.net/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::8:UNDEF::::PA
  • ywhic

Just an update,

I found a boat wire amperage chart for my 105C rated boat wire..

6 AWG is good for 102 amps in engine compartment or 120 amps not in engine compartment..

My wire from the charge controller to the battery bank like I said is only going to be 3 foot max..

I'll just stick with the 105C rated 6 AWG I bought.. the 4 AWG boat wire will sit and wait for another project..

I won't be doing over 80 amps even on the best of days even with future upgrades to my system.. so all ends well..

Granted if anyone is reading this with regular 6 AWG THHN wire you looking at 55-65 amps max..
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I have used Quick disconnect replacement terminals from Pico / Napa / Wurth etc. Instead of the flat latching end , I pound into round and clean then re-tin if needed.
    size 8-O .. Its because the runs are longer with larger less V-drop cable size.
    Mooocho cheaper , and fit my swaging tool .
    Attachment not found.
    VT
  • Lefty Wright
    Lefty Wright Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Trim some strands of wire off to fit the connection.

Or, get some solid or coarse stranded wire that will fit and bring it out to a junction box where you can use a split bolt or other method to splice the two cables together.

-Bill

I've was shot down by the inspector for trimming off strands to allow the conductors to fit into the lugs.

He made me land a smaller wire and splice to the larger conductor as you state in your second sentence.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    I've was shot down by the inspector for trimming off strands to allow the conductors to fit into the lugs.

He made me land a smaller wire and splice to the larger conductor as you state in your second sentence.

Which shows how much an inspector knows. :roll:
    The first method is actually safer; shorter length of the "small gauge" (only within the connector) and no extra splice to cause trouble.
  • ywhic

Update.. I have found some 2-8 AWG splices used for like well pumps..

Like $6-10 each with heat shrink tube covering and all.

Gardner Bender HSB-28 Butt Splice Kit

Attachment not found.

I may give a pair of these a shot to down convert the 6 AWG from the controller terminals to 4 AWG down to the bank..

I may bump up to 8 panels and the MPPT would be almost 80 amps coming from the controller down.. so 6 AWG is looking less likely to be used even for the 3 foot run down to my copper buss bar setup..
  • ywhic

In other news...

I went to HDepot in a last ditch effort to use 4 AWG wire.. low and behold HD had 4 AWG THHN wire with like 17 strands copper for $1.27/foot so I bought 4 foot for trying it in the Midnite lugs.. and it worked.. not tight or anything.. just right..

Says Johnson/Murphy and Southwire on it.. 600V Gas and Oil Resistant as well..

4AWGHDEPOT.jpg

Now I can rest easy on this matter... (crap keeps me up at night)..