Options
2»

Comments

• 65DegN
    65DegN Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Issue with Morningstar SureSine 300 inverter
    inetdog wrote: »
    Now for mind bending, think about the variable autotransformer (Variac). That is in effect a center tapped single winding with a moveable center tap. The design of the winding and brush-type center connector is rather elegant.

Right, also consider an autoformer as a coil loading an antenna with a tap at the appropriate impeadance point to create a more effecient transfer of power. No increase in power transfer will occur though without the tap at point that provides the proper impeadance match.
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Options

And Back on track with the OP : L Bergman, did you need to return the older noisy defective SS300 ? Because I just got back into Canada & had assumed that I was to return the replaced unit. I called with all my RMA#'s and case #'s spoke to 2 folks at Morningstar (got their Names 2 B sure) , was told I could throw it away this morning. Lucky , because i did notice that the bag that I had stored the smoke in , must of leaked.

Scrape metal bin are picked up Tuesday's here, just made it.

VT
  • LBergman
    LBergman Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Options

I had to send the defective one back. They included a letter requesting that in order to find the source of the issue and potentially improve the product. I only needed to use the shipping box the new one came in and slap the provided UPS prepaid shipping label on it.

Kinda curious as to what they found, now.

Speculation: Maybe they've had a few of these units go bad recently (ours failed close together it seems) and figured yours had the same issue, so didn't need it returned.
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    And Back on track with the OP : L Bergman, did you need to return the older noisy defective SS300 ? Because I just got back into Canada & had assumed that I was to return the replaced unit. I called with all my RMA#'s and case #'s spoke to 2 folks at Morningstar (got their Names 2 B sure) , was told I could throw it away this morning. Lucky , because i did notice that the bag that I had stored the smoke in , must of leaked.

Scrape metal bin are picked up Tuesday's here, just made it.

VT
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,466 admin
    Options

Returning product across international borders makes things more complicated too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Well I cross that Border Monthly & for the service I received , I would of hauled it back and then had it shipped since they looked after me so well (Opps , haven't installed the replacement yet ) .

You didn't open it and look for the smoker ?? or ?

VT
  • LBergman
    LBergman Solar Expert Posts: 42
    Options

It was tempting, but I didn't want to break the warranty sticker. :-)
    You didn't open it and look for the smoker ?? or ?

VT
  • CDN_VT
    Options

SOooooooooooooo

I just got the replacement unit installed for light testing . I setup the Dips , I purchased the PC interconnect , want the LVD at the default (higher battery voltage setting) and want to hear the beeper if something has gone array,Plus the Power Mode to only come on if the system feels / senses a load .
    Now the first unit I tried had this power mode system working quite well , and since I knew that my low draw LED lamp would just flicker in it's sensing , I went to a 40 watt, (34 watt in kill-a-watt readings) to see if the unit would react to quite power and then go into sensing mode. The remote switch jumper is in and the unit is set to power mode sense. dip one up ..

This unit has 13.44 volts , can produce 244 watts and quite while on load with a stereo system (testing load only , and is an old amp 10 min time frame with PV's charging ) removal of the load and the Kill-a-watt meter , it will NEVER go into power down sensing mode. Only way is to have it running for 5 mins plus with no load , and then unhook the remote jumper and then install once to three times , then it starts the 5 sec search. I even removed the 12 gauge load wires , and checked i didn't have a problem with the receptacles (plus I OHMed that circuit out, Zip ) Another Bum MoringStar ,, I purchased it because of all the ravings from this forum plus purchased from NAWs.

I did spend sometime in Arlington WA @ outback getting some of my questions answered. Never brought up this SS300 , but things we keep in our minds & how failures are handled. I must of spent over 3 hours checking and testing and playing. I use a Fluke hand held and a PC base Pico , plus i have baggies for the smoke.

Im thinking a faulty ss300 due.

VT
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just got the replacement unit installed for light testing.

Was your replacement a new unit? Many manufacturers replace defective units with 'previously defective' units. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like it may be one they received for repair, but didn't notice this problem, so sent it to you as a replacement, thinking it was fine. Sucks!
    Yes, IF that's the case, it wasn't properly tested in ALL modes before it was sent to you. Although it should never happen, it sometimes does with the best of them.:cry:
    I've got two of them running, have had since fall of 2007 and so far extremely happy with them. Not kidding. And you wouldn't believe some of the loads they're asked to handle - - - and they do without a hitch.
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Nope It was new , and all the tags plus.
    After another chat , I cycled the power , loaded it with (guessing 100-200 watts) for 1 min , then let it run with no load. It took 4 mins , the first time , then on the second load it took 2 mins there after to drop into sensing mode.

What I got from the conversation was it needs to learn ? see/feel the system ?? Didn't think it was that smart.

Oh well , Just wanted to update and let B2B all know.

Thanks for all the Info & help Folks !

VT
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

A "need to learn"? That's an interesting spin on the problem, but if it's now operating OK - - .
    I have yet to operate either of my SureSine inverters in that mode, so who knows, maybe they'll also have to "learn", but if they do, it will be unexpected, but after you're issues, no longer a surprise. I do intend to make such a change with one of them before Winter. Up until now it's been controlled automatically by a remotely switched relay, but I can get rid of a lot of wiring and complexity if I just let it sit in search mode.
    If they do have to "learn" it's very strange that with all the happy users out there, someone else hasn't brought up this issue.
    Thanks for updating us.
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Your correct on the "spin of things" .
    I work on these learning Nodes , adaptions, but it would be good to know also , since my first one went in search mode very quickly , not two min after the load was released.
    I have many Caps on route , we will try getting a Freezer down to cold ;)

VT
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Mr LBergman.
    As with the PM conversation we had, the Diagnosing of the replace unit showed the main switching trio timing unit took out the mosfet and voltage controller chips.
    the zener Trio timer is stuck and that is a Micro chip affair. I needed to spend some time in the (YVR smoke)post evaluations operations to use the lab.
    I did notice my new unit has a brown plastic cover rather than gray. Need book-ends ;)

VT

Edit , I forgot you sent yours back. VT
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    Options

I see the computer interface was purchased, did you by chance try it out?
    I have an SS in our teardrop and I was having a problem (may well be wiring).
  • CDN_VT
    Options

Yes I have the PC interface , I use the Mr Guppys software .
    But the Problems Mr Bergam & Myself had were much deeper.
    I needed the LAB equipment (My basic Pico scopes are limited) for getting into the inner guts.
    Plus the sparky tech's get right into figuring the culprit out.

VT