and have looked on this forum and can't find what i am looking for
can someone recommend a book or a web page or the real beginner area
on this sit thank you

Comments

• Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Total newbie from UK

Welcome Shella: You're on the right site. You just haven't looked or searched long enough yet. Go to the solar beginners forum and read, read, read. I personally cannot guide you one way or the other. I'm not that adept myself yet. However, the info is here. Stand by, someone will be along shortly to advise you. To me, as a starter system..your's sounds perfectly feasible. How big are your batteries, amp hour size? Keep in mind that the battery (batteries) are the heart of your system and must be balanced properly with your loads and the charging ability of your panel.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Welcome to the Forum Shella.

Here is a thread with lots of solar and conservation related projects--Plus some book/magazine suggestions:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

For a small system--Here is a thread that discusses the details of a smaller emergency power system:

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

The Harbor Freight panels/system is not really very good for long term generation of power...

In any case, I like to recommend that a system be balanced between expected load, battery size, panel size, and charge controller+AC inverter.

For the most part, people over estimate how much power a solar pv system can supply and underestimate how much power they consume.

So--You can start with panels, then define the battery bank and how much loads it will supply... Or you can start with loads, and then design the system, etc.

For example, we recommend around 5% to 13% rate of charge for the battery bank (i.e., if you have a 50 AH battery and 10% rate of charge, then you would need ~5 amps from the solar array).

So, a 60 watt panel, ~0.77 panel+controller derating and 5,10,13% rate of charge, the 12 volt battery would be:
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 63.7 AH battery @ 12 volts
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 32 AH battery @ 12 volts
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.13 rate of charge = 25 AH battery @ 12 volts

As you can see, a 60 watt set of panels will not support a very large battery bank... If you go too large with the battery bank, you will need a backup AC battery charger to help keep the batteries healthy.

And, you cannot pull too much energy from smaller batteries... For example, the maximum steady state discharge rate should be around C/8 for a flooded cell battery. Using a 60 AH battery:
    • 60 AH * 12 volt * 1/8 discharge rate * 0.85 inverter losses = 76.5 watt inverter (nominal AC load)

So, you would not want to put a 800 or 1,200 watt inverter on a such a small battery.

Anyway--What is it you are looking for? If you can get a UK Kill-a-Watt type meter to measure you AC loads--that will help you figure out how much power you really need.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Right, lass; the first thing you have to answer is "what do I need to keep running when the power goes out?" And if you answer "the telly" you'll never make O levels. :D
    As it is, you've bought stuff with no goal in sight and it may none of it do you any good once you figure out what that goal is.
  • shella
    shella Registered Users Posts: 23
    Options
    Right, lass; the first thing you have to answer is "what do I need to keep running when the power goes out?" And if you answer "the telly" you'll never make O levels. :D
    As it is, you've bought stuff with no goal in sight and it may none of it do you any good once you figure out what that goal is.

you made me laugh so hard thank you this forum is what i need straight answers no messing around
    OK my system is a start up system i knew the panels i have got are not very good but we all have to start somewhere this is how i learn by actually doing this was my thinking OK i have been researching for a year before i decided to give this a go my end goal is to be able to run smd lights a laptop or two maybe a TV DVD player and small fridge i have a volt meter on the way i already have most thing in 12v and still looking my batteries are two 40 ah scooter batteries
    i totally understand what you are saying but i am ready to downsize if needs be i just would like the peace of mind of having backup power and no not the whole house just something to stop me and mine bouncing off the walls
    gosh i hope i make sense
  • shella
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Welcome to the Forum Shella.

Here is a thread with lots of solar and conservation related projects--Plus some book/magazine suggestions:

Working Thread for Solar Beginner Post/FAQ

For a small system--Here is a thread that discusses the details of a smaller emergency power system:

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

The Harbor Freight panels/system is not really very good for long term generation of power...

In any case, I like to recommend that a system be balanced between expected load, battery size, panel size, and charge controller+AC inverter.

For the most part, people over estimate how much power a solar pv system can supply and underestimate how much power they consume.

So--You can start with panels, then define the battery bank and how much loads it will supply... Or you can start with loads, and then design the system, etc.

For example, we recommend around 5% to 13% rate of charge for the battery bank (i.e., if you have a 50 AH battery and 10% rate of charge, then you would need ~5 amps from the solar array).

So, a 60 watt panel, ~0.77 panel+controller derating and 5,10,13% rate of charge, the 12 volt battery would be:
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 63.7 AH battery @ 12 volts
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 32 AH battery @ 12 volts
    • 60 watt panels * 0.77 derating * 1/14.5 volts charging * 1/0.13 rate of charge = 25 AH battery @ 12 volts

As you can see, a 60 watt set of panels will not support a very large battery bank... If you go too large with the battery bank, you will need a backup AC battery charger to help keep the batteries healthy.

And, you cannot pull too much energy from smaller batteries... For example, the maximum steady state discharge rate should be around C/8 for a flooded cell battery. Using a 60 AH battery:
    • 60 AH * 12 volt * 1/8 discharge rate * 0.85 inverter losses = 76.5 watt inverter (nominal AC load)

So, you would not want to put a 800 or 1,200 watt inverter on a such a small battery.

Anyway--What is it you are looking for? If you can get a UK Kill-a-Watt type meter to measure you AC loads--that will help you figure out how much power you really need.

-Bill
    thanks bill something to get my teeth into this is great info
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, so we now need to now some hard numbers (Amps or Watts will do) plus the amount of time these items will be powered, in order to 'build' you an operating system that 'can' run long term.

Numbers please...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hmm. I always think the think to keep running during a power outage is the refrigerator. That way you avoid having to throw out several hundred pounds of food. Must be a Canadian thing, eh? :p

Your two 40 Amp hour batteries together need about 62 Watts minimum for charging. Regrettably the HF panels tend to under perform, but perhaps you can just make it with the one you've got. Your looking at around 4 Amps output maximum here. The 20 Amp controller is kind of overkill.
    What can you do with 80 Amp hours @ 12 Volts?
    Well that's up to 480 Watt hours DC. It's a bit less when converted to AC (inverter consumption and conversion efficiency), say 400 Watt hours. A laptop @ 20 Watts would run for about 20 hours. A TV @ 100 Watts would run for 4. A refrigerator @ 150 Watts would run for maybe three (depending on the duty cycle).

Understand from the start that this stuff does not scale up easily. Your "next system" will likely utilize none of the present components, and it's almost inevitable that there will be a next system; it's addictive. :D
  • shella
    Options
    Hmm. I always think the think to keep running during a power outage is the refrigerator. That way you avoid having to throw out several hundred pounds of food. Must be a Canadian thing, eh? :p

Your two 40 Amp hour batteries together need about 62 Watts minimum for charging. Regrettably the HF panels tend to under perform, but perhaps you can just make it with the one you've got. Your looking at around 4 Amps output maximum here. The 20 Amp controller is kind of overkill.
    What can you do with 80 Amp hours @ 12 Volts?
    Well that's up to 480 Watt hours DC. It's a bit less when converted to AC (inverter consumption and conversion efficiency), say 400 Watt hours. A laptop @ 20 Watts would run for about 20 hours. A TV @ 100 Watts would run for 4. A refrigerator @ 150 Watts would run for maybe three (depending on the duty cycle).

Understand from the start that this stuff does not scale up easily. Your "next system" will likely utilize none of the present components, and it's almost inevitable that there will be a next system; it's addictive. :D

oh i know i already am. It will be better as i have said i am a total newbie at this the 20 amp charge controller was so that i had room to grow slowly
  • shella
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    OK, so we now need to now some hard numbers (Amps or Watts will do) plus the amount of time these items will be powered, in order to 'build' you an operating system that 'can' run long term.

Numbers please...
    I'm on it still waiting on things to arrive
    so have i got this straight get the numbers from the things i would run in a blackout
    yeah i can do that
  • shella
    Options

thanks to every one for all your help i feel i am finally on the right track as soon as i get the meter i will post the numbers
  • westbranch
    Options
    shella wrote: »
    so have i got this straight get the numbers from the things i would run in a blackout

Yes, we want to avoid the primary mistake of Ready, Fire, Aim

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm a bit late chiming in here so if this was covered already then ignore me, but what meter are you going for to measure things? i also admit i don't know the voltage used there, but some meters here can't measure higher voltages like 230v.

the peak power demand that you need is only part of the answer for it is also for how long that power is to be used too.
  • shella
    Options
    Yes, we want to avoid the primary mistake of Ready, Fire, Aim

lol you sooo funny
    i totally agree
  • shella
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    i'm a bit late chiming in here so if this was covered already then ignore me, but what meter are you going for to measure things? i also admit i don't know the voltage used there, but some meters here can't measure higher voltages like 230v.

the peak power demand that you need is only part of the answer for it is also for how long that power is to be used too.

at the moment i just know what i would like to run but i realise the reality will be different and am ready for that
    this is just a project for me and like to learn i am realistic. i felt i could only study so much i am a hands on type of gal. so when the panels came on sale i could not resist
    and since i have bought them i have leaned more in a couple of days than i have read in a year and am loving it. a lot of people worry about the cost now i am not saying i have money but any new project is going to cost in the beginning until you learn from your mistakes.

the meter i am getting is a watt meter.
  • BB.
    Options
    shella wrote: »
    the meter i am getting is a watt meter.

Just to make sure--Ideally you want a Watt*Hour meter (or kWH == kilo watt*hour meter). A watt meter measures the instant amount of power you are using. A Watt*Hour/kWH meter measures the "work" you are doing over time (your utility meter is a kWH meter).

For cycling loads (fridge, freezer, heater, electric hot plate, computer system, etc.), a kWH meter you just plug in for 1-7 days and you know know how many kWH per day each load uses.

For most people, a kWH meter is a great place to start. Conservation is almost always a better investment of time and money vs just throughly a solar PV system on the home (it usually costs more to generate a WH than to conserve a WH).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • shella
    Options

this is not in order of importance

lights SIMD LEDs
    game console 45w
    portable hard drives x2 3w per 2.5 units startup 1000ma
    TV V 15w
    DVD player 9v 1.5 amp
    car cassette player 15a
    car mini disk player 15a
    speakers 80w
    kettle 12v 200w
    this would be a short blackout list
    i would like to start with this equation first
    am i being unrealistic?
  • BB.
    Options

Not too far off in expectations--Except we need to know how many hours per day you would like to run them.

In general, if you have another way of heating water (propane, wood, etc.), it is generally a better use of your money (electric PV power is "expensive").

But, with a 60 watt set of panels, assuming sunny weather (at least 4 hours of sun per day):
    • 60 watts * 0.52 system derating * 4 hours of sun = 125 Watts*Hours of 230 VAC per day (if using inverter)

Your 15 watt TV would run:
    • 125 WH per day / 15 watts = 8.3 hours per day

A 200 watt heating element (yes, I know it is 12 volt, but close enough to keep the math easy):
    • 125 WH / 200 watts = 0.625 hours = 37.5 minutes per day

So, you can watch the telly for 8 hours, or have a cup or two of tea per day -- But not both.

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    Not too far off in expectations--Except we need to know how many hours per day you would like to run them.

In general, if you have another way of heating water (propane, wood, etc.), it is generally a better use of your money (electric PV power is "expensive").

But, with a 60 watt set of panels, assuming sunny weather (at least 4 hours of sun per day):
    • 60 watts * 0.52 system derating * 4 hours of sun = 125 Watts*Hours of 230 VAC per day (if using inverter)

Your 15 watt TV would run:
    • 125 WH per day / 15 watts = 8.3 hours per day

A 200 watt heating element (yes, I know it is 12 volt, but close enough to keep the math easy):
    • 125 WH / 200 watts = 0.625 hours = 37.5 minutes per day

So, you can watch the telly for 8 hours, or have a cup or two of tea per day -- But not both.

-Bill

yes i do have another way of boiling water so the kettle can go
    so it is feasible with what i have to start with
    in few weeks time my aquaponics will be ready for a test run
    i would also like to hook the pumps to solar but don.t know the watts or amps of the pumps
    if i need more power would it be a case of more better solar panels or more battery's?
  • westbranch
    Options

You really need to investigate the amperage draw of that aqua -pump. The manufacturer or seller should be able to give you the amperage/watt rating... then you need to decide how long per day it will run.

• BB.
    Options

In the end, it is best to design a "balanced" system... Too much solar panel, you can use the most power when the sun is up... Too large of battery/battery bank, and they usually die an early death (months/year) because of under charging.

LED lights, cell phone chargers, small radio, etc. do not use much power. Heating devices, mechanical/motors (pumps, refrigerators, etc.) all really suck down the power--and need quite a bit of solar panel (+battery bank if needed) to get a "useful" amount of work.

With your current system--stick with small electronics/LED lighting/etc. You may be able to use small pumps (like for small fountains) for a few hours per day (lift water over to garden rows). You will not be able to connect to a hose with nozzle/sprinkler and use like a normal domestic water source (that take quite a bit of power).

Before you start buying a lot of equipment--Learning some of the basic electrical equations and how to use a couple types of meters is the best place to start.

Electricity for Boaters - BoatSafe.com

is a good place to start.

Solar power has never been cheaper--but it is still not "cheap". Just cheaper than a genset+petrol in the long haul (genset or even a long extension cord is still the best bet for short term power usage).

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    You really need to investigate the amperage draw of that aqua -pump. The manufacturer or seller should be able to give you the amperage/watt rating... then you need to decide how long per day it will run.

i know but the equipment is in the shed and i cannot get to it at the moment to check
    thats why i have put what i would like to run in a short blackout and start from there
    when i find out the other information i will post but for know i am concentrating on a short blackout scenario
    thank you for yor reply
  • BB.
    Options

Shella,

As have been discussing in another thread--UPS (uninterruptable power supplies) such as used for computers is really quite different vs a "full" off grid solar PV system...

The requirements are too different and where you sink your money would be much different.

Solar PV systems are "fun" and "neat" and not too expensive if you stay small (so you have less questions about where to put your money as the overall costs are not painful).

However, as your power requirements go up--the whole cost/benefit/requirements start poking up their ugly heads.

In systems/electronics engineering we have a saying (yes, we are nerds)--You have low cost/high quality/fast product--Just pick any two.

Since you already have the panels and battery charger... Just put the appropriate sized battery on the system and start playing (and I would suggest getting an inexpensive DMM digital multi meter/digital volt meter). You will quickly find out what works and does not work. And you will probably kill the battery in about 6 months (over charging, over discharging, letting sit for a few months without charging).

It is just the game that we play to learn.

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    Shella,

As have been discussing in another thread--UPS (uninterruptable power supplies) such as used for computers is really quite different vs a "full" off grid solar PV system...

The requirements are too different and where you sink your money would be much different.

Solar PV systems are "fun" and "neat" and not too expensive if you stay small (so you have less questions about where to put your money as the overall costs are not painful).

However, as your power requirements go up--the whole cost/benefit/requirements start poking up their ugly heads.

In systems/electronics engineering we have a saying (yes, we are nerds)--You have low cost/high quality/fast product--Just pick any two.

Since you already have the panels and battery charger... Just put the appropriate sized battery on the system and start playing (and I would suggest getting an inexpensive DMM digital multi meter/digital volt meter). You will quickly find out what works and does not work. And you will probably kill the battery in about 6 months (over charging, over discharging, letting sit for a few months without charging).

It is just the game that we play to learn.

-Bill

sorry got a little confused what is a ups is that just a battery i want nothing to do with those. plus i think you underestimate how much i have resurched this subject its was time to put into practice what i have learned your comment on the battery is what i mean i don't know what size batteries would fit my sytem.
    i want to learn from people who have been there done that and are helping newbies like me.
    my plan is to start small and build on my system and i do know how expensive it is that is why i joined this forum to learn and not to make expensive mistakes
    and hopefully i won't blow myself up in the mean time
    what i am having problems with is the math i understand a spiders web of it but the more i read the postson this website the more i get a glimmer of understanding
    i have already made small solar panels for thing like phone chargers battery's basically all my rechargeable equipment have already gone solar i need to move to bigger thing
    that why i got the cheep solar panels to learn and build. firstly i hope you now know where my thinking is coming from and i hope this made sense
  • shella
    Options
    In the end, it is best to design a "balanced" system... Too much solar panel, you can use the most power when the sun is up... Too large of battery/battery bank, and they usually die an early death (months/year) because of under charging.

LED lights, cell phone chargers, small radio, etc. do not use much power. Heating devices, mechanical/motors (pumps, refrigerators, etc.) all really suck down the power--and need quite a bit of solar panel (+battery bank if needed) to get a "useful" amount of work.

With your current system--stick with small electronics/LED lighting/etc. You may be able to use small pumps (like for small fountains) for a few hours per day (lift water over to garden rows). You will not be able to connect to a hose with nozzle/sprinkler and use like a normal domestic water source (that take quite a bit of power).

Before you start buying a lot of equipment--Learning some of the basic electrical equations and how to use a couple types of meters is the best place to start.

Electricity for Boaters - BoatSafe.com

is a good place to start.

Solar power has never been cheaper--but it is still not "cheap". Just cheaper than a genset+petrol in the long haul (genset or even a long extension cord is still the best bet for short term power usage).

-Bill
    hi bill
    i have read the link and i found it very helpfull i kind of understand it have printed it so i can digest the information more slowly thank tou
  • BB.
    Options

Sorry Shella,

I did not intend to sound condescending. :blush:

A UPS system is really just like the solar power system you are designing (inverter + AC battery charger + Battery). But they tend to be designed to supply a lot of power for a short period of time (inverter/electronics are "cheap and light", the batteries are "expensive and heavy). Some companies will take a UPS and connect up solar panels+charge controller to the side of the UPS and call is a solar generator.

The problem with solar power (and off grid power in general), it is very difficult to start out small and "grow a system"... Once you grow past a certain size, you need more batteries (mixing old and new batteries can be a mess), and you want a higher voltage battery bank (batteries in series) with new higher voltage inverter, etc...

We try to push the math up front (what are you loads, design the system... Or if you have some components, design the balance of the system around those components so that it will function to the best of its ability).

I find the easiest way to explain a solar power system... The battery is the "heart" of your system. To a large degree, everything that hangs off the battery can be treated as a completely separate black box.

The loads (and inverter if used) drain the the battery bank. Volts, Amps, Amp*Hours/Watt*Hours and the capacity of the battery (typically given in Amp*Hours as some 5, 10, 20 hour discharge rate). Get that section of your system defined/designed... Then move on.

The charging system--You may have several. Your solar panel(s) + charge controller--Enough solar to both replace the power you use in a day or two, and enough current to properly "condition" the batteries back to full charge (and do it quickly).

Another charging source may be an AC battery charger--To recharge the battery bank when the system is put away for the winter--And/or as a backup with a petrol generator set.

So--anyway--I probably have gotten a little lost what I can help you with... Do you have some components you want hook up (XXX watts of solar panels as an example)--Or are you looking to getting more information about your loads before we try defining your system?

It tends to be much easier if we focus on your needs vs trying to conduct a general education call on solar. Once you have designed/built your first system, then the rest of the "big picture" discussions make more sense. Many of the answers depend on the size of solar system you want to have--so real numbers and real hardware are easier to discuss/less confusing in the end.

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    Sorry Shella,

I did not intend to sound condescending. :blush:

A UPS system is really just like the solar power system you are designing (inverter + AC battery charger + Battery). But they tend to be designed to supply a lot of power for a short period of time (inverter/electronics are "cheap and light", the batteries are "expensive and heavy). Some companies will take a UPS and connect up solar panels+charge controller to the side of the UPS and call is a solar generator.

The problem with solar power (and off grid power in general), it is very difficult to start out small and "grow a system"... Once you grow past a certain size, you need more batteries (mixing old and new batteries can be a mess), and you want a higher voltage battery bank (batteries in series) with new higher voltage inverter, etc...

We try to push the math up front (what are you loads, design the system... Or if you have some components, design the balance of the system around those components so that it will function to the best of its ability).

I find the easiest way to explain a solar power system... The battery is the "heart" of your system. To a large degree, everything that hangs off the battery can be treated as a completely separate black box.

The loads (and inverter if used) drain the the battery bank. Volts, Amps, Amp*Hours/Watt*Hours and the capacity of the battery (typically given in Amp*Hours as some 5, 10, 20 hour discharge rate). Get that section of your system defined/designed... Then move on.

The charging system--You may have several. Your solar panel(s) + charge controller--Enough solar to both replace the power you use in a day or two, and enough current to properly "condition" the batteries back to full charge (and do it quickly).

Another charging source may be an AC battery charger--To recharge the battery bank when the system is put away for the winter--And/or as a backup with a petrol generator set.

So--anyway--I probably have gotten a little lost what I can help you with... Do you have some components you want hook up (XXX watts of solar panels as an example)--Or are you looking to getting more information about your loads before we try defining your system?

It tends to be much easier if we focus on your needs vs trying to conduct a general education call on solar. Once you have designed/built your first system, then the rest of the "big picture" discussions make more sense. Many of the answers depend on the size of solar system you want to have--so real numbers and real hardware are easier to discuss/less confusing in the end.

-Bill

hi bill
    i didn't think you sounded condescending i was just confused
    i would like to build a solar system the components list is in my first post and later on a list of what i would like to power in a short blackout scenario
    i just wanted to know if the system that i have already bought has enough power to support my system if not then what would i need to get Twp my target
    and i have been reading other posts to get a hang of things
    i must admit i don't come across well in the written form so my answers might be a bit jumbled i would like to expand my setup but just need to start with the system i have
    once i get the straight in my head then i can move to upgrade
    this is a Hobie and i have noticed that there is a lot of talk about the cost. i have spent far more on other hobbies.
    i am enjoying the learning aspect of this Hobie
    the money side of it is not important to me as i will save the money that i need i basically would like to know if i am on the path and i don't want to buy expensive unnecessary things
    please tell me if i am making sense and i will try to explain what i am trying to do in a another way
    thank you so much for your reply
  • BB.
    Options

If I understand correctly, you really just need a 12 volt battery... Using the standard 5% to 13% rate of charge and 0.77 panel+charge controller derating:
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 107 AH battery maximum recommended
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 54 AH battery "nominal"
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.13 rate of charge = 41 AH battery minimum recommended

So, now you can do some math on the battery bank. Say your section of sunny old England is 4 hours of sun per day (that is "noon time" solar energy of ~1,000 Watts/M2).

For a small system, you can probably cycle down to 20% state of charge (use ~80% of the stored battery energy). For a 80 AH battery:
    • 80 AH * 80% use = 64 AH

An 80 AH battery is typically rated a C/20 hour rate), that means:
    • 80 AH * 1/20 discharge rate = 4 amps for 20 hours
    • 64 AH usable energy / 4 amps = 16 hours for 20 hours to 20% state of charge

If you have an AC load--Say it is 30 watts for a small pump or charging a laptop computer. Then:
    • 30 watt (at 230 VAC) * 1/0.85 AC inverter efficiency = 35.3 watts from DC side of inverter

Then the battery will support:
    • 64 AH * 12 volt battery bank * 1/35.3 watts = 21.8 hours of run time

To recharge your 80% used battery assuming 4 hours of sun per day:
    • 64 AH * 14.5 volts recharging * 1/0.77 panel+controller losses * 1/60 watt panel * 1/4 hours of sun per day = 5 days to recharge bank

Anyway... The other stuff to look for. A DMM (digital multi meter), inexpensive hydrometer (if flooded cell battery), a battery monitor would teach you a lot--however probably not cost effective your smaller system...

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you really just need a 12 volt battery... Using the standard 5% to 13% rate of charge and 0.77 panel+charge controller derating:
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.05 rate of charge = 107 AH battery maximum recommended
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.10 rate of charge = 54 AH battery "nominal"
    • 60 watt array * 1/14.5v batt charging * 1/0.77 panel+charger derating * 1/0.13 rate of charge = 41 AH battery minimum recommended

So, now you can do some math on the battery bank. Say your section of sunny old England is 4 hours of sun per day (that is "noon time" solar energy of ~1,000 Watts/M2).

For a small system, you can probably cycle down to 20% state of charge (use ~80% of the stored battery energy). For a 80 AH battery:
    • 80 AH * 80% use = 64 AH

An 80 AH battery is typically rated a C/20 hour rate), that means:
    • 80 AH * 1/20 discharge rate = 4 amps for 20 hours
    • 64 AH usable energy / 4 amps = 16 hours for 20 hours to 20% state of charge

If you have an AC load--Say it is 30 watts for a small pump or charging a laptop computer. Then:
    • 30 watt (at 230 VAC) * 1/0.85 AC inverter efficiency = 35.3 watts from DC side of inverter

Then the battery will support:
    • 64 AH * 12 volt battery bank * 1/35.3 watts = 21.8 hours of run time

To recharge your 80% used battery assuming 4 hours of sun per day:
    • 64 AH * 14.5 volts recharging * 1/0.77 panel+controller losses * 1/60 watt panel * 1/4 hours of sun per day = 5 days to recharge bank

Anyway... The other stuff to look for. A DMM (digital multi meter), inexpensive hydrometer (if flooded cell battery), a battery monitor would teach you a lot--however probably not cost effective your smaller system...

-Bill

thank you so much bill thats the info i was after
    lets see if i understand
    if i buy more panels in the future to add on would that mean that the battery bank would take less than 5 days to get to 80 percent charge and if i buy more batterys that would give me more amp hours?
    oh and i do have a hydrometer and battery controll charger i am trying to keep to 12v for now untill i learn more
  • BB.
    Options

Yes... But I highly recommend that you do this in a "balanced manner".

For example, large or small battery bank, your 60 watts of panels will output around (60 watts * 0.52 system eff * 4 hours of sun per day = ) 125 Watt*Hours per day.

You can have a very large battery bank, or a very small battery bank, your panels will still supply (roughly) the same amount of usable power.

On the other had, a very small battery bank will "fill up" quickly, and may not store enough power to carry you through 1 night (or a day of bad weather).

You could start with a 107 AH battery and a 60 watt set of panels... And later add another 60 Watts or more panels with the same battery--And you will get more WH per day, and recharge the battery faster.

It is very difficult to "grow" a solar system in a cost effective manner... More or less, you can grow a system by about 2-3x in power/storage/panels. Past that point, you almost have to get rid of what you have and start over (higher voltage battery banks, larger charge controller, higher wattage/input voltage inverter, etc.).

Since you are experimenting, a 50-80 AH battery bank would be a good fit. And see what it does for you. If you kill the battery by accident--not a big loss (about the size of a normal car battery).

-Bill
  • shella
    Options
    Yes... But I highly recommend that you do this in a "balanced manner".

For example, large or small battery bank, your 60 watts of panels will output around (60 watts * 0.52 system eff * 4 hours of sun per day = ) 125 Watt*Hours per day.

You can have a very large battery bank, or a very small battery bank, your panels will still supply (roughly) the same amount of usable power.

On the other had, a very small battery bank will "fill up" quickly, and may not store enough power to carry you through 1 night (or a day of bad weather).

You could start with a 107 AH battery and a 60 watt set of panels... And later add another 60 Watts or more panels with the same battery--And you will get more WH per day, and recharge the battery faster.

It is very difficult to "grow" a solar system in a cost effective manner... More or less, you can grow a system by about 2-3x in power/storage/panels. Past that point, you almost have to get rid of what you have and start over (higher voltage battery banks, larger charge controller, higher wattage/input voltage inverter, etc.).

Since you are experimenting, a 50-80 AH battery bank would be a good fit. And see what it does for you. If you kill the battery by accident--not a big loss (about the size of a normal car battery).

-Bill

thanks bill
    i will do what you said and experiment with what i have.
    will update this post when i need to upgrade