Thinking I would like to expand PV and grid tie.

Bobby
Bobby Registered Users Posts: 8
I now have 4-210 watt evergreen panels, Xantrex MPPT 60-150 charge controller and 4 golf cart batteries. My initial purpose was backup to run deep freeze and a few lights when grid is down. The system has been working well for about a year and I now would like to expand to at least double the PV panels and grid tie all panels.
My question is is their a grid tie inverter that will work with my 4- 210 watt vmp 18.30 volt panels?
Should I buy more 18 volt panels or the higher voltage panels?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Thinking I would like to expand PV and grid tie.

Let's say there aren't any good inverters that will work with your four 210 Watt panels (840 Watts, max Vmp 73.2).

Good GT inverters tend to either run arrays over 300 Volts or are micro-inverters which require specific panels from a list of those that will work (one panel, one inverter).

These Evergreen panels probably can't be had anymore. Most "GT" panels these days have a Vmp around 30.

That's not to say there isn't some "El Cheapo" inverter out there that would work or other "18 Volt" panels that could be added in series, but you'd likely be disappointed with the result.

ALL grid-tie installations should be done with proper plans, permits, and permissions. Any other way is asking for trouble.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

this might be overkill, but will work,

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/GTFX-GVFX.pdf
  • Bobby
    Bobby Registered Users Posts: 8

Thanks guys, I appreciate both responses. After looking at the outback GTFX inverter installation manual I think I should just keep the backup system I have and start a proper grid tie plan with the right panels and micro-inverters and add to it as I can afford more. My plan is to get proper permits, install equipment myself then get inspected then get utility company to change my meter to correct type. Any further advice will be appreciated.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I think that's a good plan. Trying to adapt older equipment into a new system tends to have obstacles - like not being able to find compatible panels to expand the array with.