Popped my Exeltech XP1100 inverter (again)

Options
jpistrit
jpistrit Registered Users Posts: 11
So, for the 2nd time, the Exeltech XP1100 inverter i installed at an offgrid cabin popped. (wont start, looks dead). I dont have it in hand yet (someone else was there when this happened), but i'm wondering if there's something fragile about this inverter type (or maybe it has an internal fuse I'm not aware of?).

First time this happened, it was sent back to Exeltech and they repaired it, free of charge. I may end up doing that again (although its a year-and-a-half older now, so i probably wont get a free repair this time). I havent opened it up yet to look inside.

Has anyone found a fuse in these things that goes off? (I'm pretty sure it was overloaded when it shut off and wouldnt restart).

I'm replacing it temporarily with an XP2000 i got from our sponsor here awhile ago (actually the original XP1100 came from Northern Arizona as well).

Anyone with experience with these that might shed some light?

-n3ckf

365W solar + 600AH 12V battery system

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Popped my Exeltech XP1100 inverter (again)

Strange. IMHO, if it was properly designed, it would protect itself from overloads and shut down before any harm done. Every inverter I've ever had, from the cheapest junk from the automotive store, to the top of the line, always protected themselves. And I've really abused them at times.
    Reversing the input polarity, or connecting to the wrong input voltage however, can destroy them, as will leaving them connected while also running a generator. And likewise, lightening induced surges on the AC output lines.
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Options

Let me dig up pictures of the insides of mine... Off the top of my head I think there's a fuse in there but not 100% sure. Wont void the warranty to pull it open either, they sent me something to install inside.....
  • TheBackRoads
    Options

Browse at your leisure.

http://www.jefftheman.net/Pics/Solar/Inverter/Exeltech/

There are some small fuses inside clearly visible from the pictures (00783), but I feel like there was a big fuse somewhere in there that you could replace.. blue thing next to small round fuses?
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options

A few better inverters have multiple ATC fuses inside them ( 4-8 ).. that may be the issue.. check them all..
  • TheBackRoads
    Options

Any luck Jspirit?
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

I have blow the 4 fuses twice on my XP1100. Now keep 8 spares just in case.
  • jpistrit
    jpistrit Registered Users Posts: 11
    Options
    n3qik wrote: »
    I have blow the 4 fuses twice on my XP1100. Now keep 8 spares just in case.

Yup that was it. thanks for the pix (sorry for the long delay, i just got this inverter back a couple weeks ago from the location where it was. We'd swapped it with the backup and it was unexpectedly). Basically i had to visit the site and take it with me.

So yeah. 4 blown fuses.

The fuses, for anyone who cares, are BUSS MDL-35 32V fuses. Which are 40amp, slow blow in the glass capsule (old style fuses, before ATC fuses came into use).
    In this case all 4 were blown.

I believe that occurs when the inverter is producing about 1900 watts of output (since its an 1100 watt inverter, it shouldnt be doing that...)
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

I have replaced the 4 fuses before in XP-1100's before, just extra effort to take it apart to get to the fuses. Exeltech says the 1100's will do double that for awhile, but the sine wave is cut off. Once was running a worm drive on a 12 volt setup and another was when a Trace C-40 let go and let the 88 volts open circuit go to the 48 volt inverter. These were 4 Evergreen panels in series (12 volt panels).

Good luck. I still have a smoked 12 volt 1100 that I may send back to them one of these days. Overall they are very good, but do have some weaknesses.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014.