Chineese 'Eco-Worty' MPPT Controller

Hi all, just curious if anyone has any experience with these Chinese charge controllers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-12V-24V-MPPT-solar-charge-controller-solar-regulator-15-30-more-power-/320918594281?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D557730310141235264%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26

I have no idea what the brand name actually is, but all their pictures have an 'eco-worty' watermark. I am rather wary of buying chinese MPPT controllers as reading around, it appears that most of them don't actually track the max power point but only work as PWM charge controllers. However, the description of this sounds more likely and the price is right. Has anyone actually tried one of these before?

Comments

• Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Re: Chineese 'Eco-Worty' MPPT Controller

Personally, I'd be very wary of these controllers. For a few dollars more get something decent from Morningside. I don't purchase anything from Ebay having to do with solar....no matter the price.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I think Jim intended to type:

www.morningstarcorp.com
    Our host's store with MorningStar

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what the brand name actually is, but all their pictures have an 'eco-worty' watermark.

My guess is that they intended "eco-worthy" to imply some sort of certification or acceptance. Unfortunately by getting the spelling "rong" they have reduced their credibility considerably!
    If the outside looks like some other brand anybody is familiar with, chances are that the circuit board and basic design are the same, with possible differences in component quality and workmanship. Hard to tell without looking inside it and testing it.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

Sorry for the typo guys. I did mean Morningstar. Thanks BB.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Sure they don't mean Eco-Worsty? LOL
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe the misspelled wart ??

As in Eco Wart ?
  • Elijah Brown
    Elijah Brown Registered Users Posts: 3

OK, thanks to all for all the replies. it appears that 'eco-worthy' is most likely what they meant, as eco-worthy.com also sells it: http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=182

The few reviews I was able to find of the company and the controller on ebay seem to indicate it is OK, but who knows how much those customers tested it. My impression of a lot of chinese power electronics is that in the cases where they do work OK, they probably don't live up to the claimed capacity. If I do wind up trying one, I'll post back here and let you know how it turns out.