what's a good window based AC unit?

Options
rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
I see the sanyo mentioned over and over again, but I'm looking for a good SEER rating for a window based unit any recommendations? this is for a grid tied home.

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: what's a good window based AC unit?

As a stop-gap until I can get a mini-split, I bought a Fridigair 8k BTU window unit. Quality was bad and it ran very loud. For a few bucks more I new have a LG 8k BTU and it is made better and runs much quieter. I haven't put it on my Kill-A-Watt yet.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • dsharp9000
    dsharp9000 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Options

Friedrich makes a 7900 btu unit that has 11.7 energy efficiency rating.... this rating is not the seer rating; but eer rating (i dont usually see seer rating on window units... not sure why).... It is in there kulh line model line which is high end and suppose to be of high quality (think they are commercial grade). ... you pay threw the nose though for any of the kuhl units... you probably looking at close to 1000 dolllars for it (just do google search for friedrich air conditioners and you will find there website)

Ive been on the same search as you for high efficiency window units....must say stop gap wise not sure i would spend that much if you looking at mini split in near future; thats way i want to go (mini split); but as with you sort stuck in limbo right now .... im using a 8000 btu frigidaire and also a 10000 btu Frigidaire; both are of cheap quality (both have efficiency of 10.8 from memory)... but there also cheap cost wise; i can buy 4 frididaire 8000 btu for the price of one kulh; if it was long term; i would look seriously consider the kulh; but not sure i could justify the cost for stop gap measure until i get mini split.

with regard to lg units.... they might be better unit; but not sure if you gain any efficiency; though they may be better built
  • techntrek
    Options

I think you are right, the efficiency is the same with all of the cheaper window shakers. But I can live with a $200 stop gap until I can finish raising the $2000 for the mini-split. Plus it gives me options in the future as I transition from two whole-house systems to mini-splits in most rooms.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

roland,

Five years ago, bought a small Samsung 6K BTU window unit for $99. Very very nice lil unit has 10.7 EER, which is not bad for a window unit. Following year bought two more (@$119.). Have two of these running now.
    These units are very quiet, have a very useful IR Remote, and consume about 500 W when on high. Use one for the Power Room, and one for the bedroom in a 500 sq ft cabin. The BR unit usually keeps the temps from rising for the whole cabin, from the point that it is turned on -- but wait until Float to turn on this one.

My use is off-grid, and these are fairly small for GT users, but will do a great job cooing a small bedroom.

I'm amazed how useful these lil things are for the cost. All were made in China, but, knock ... knock, so far so good.

Will spring for M/S ASHPs this year. Note that now, Samsung does not play in the 5-6 K BTU end of the markket, but seems to be a good brand. Good Luck, and keep cool, Vic.
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • LucMan
    LucMan Solar Expert Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I see the sanyo mentioned over and over again, but I'm looking for a good SEER rating for a window based unit any recommendations? this is for a grid tied home.

Carrier, ComfortAire, .
    Don't expect high SEER ratings on window shakers. Just try to find one that will work for a couple of years! Most are total junk.
  • techntrek
    Options

So far I'm becoming more and more impressed with my LG, see the other thread in this forum. I tried out the "Energy Saver" mode last night. After several hours of use at ~80 F outside temp it was averaging about 50 watts more per hour than a mini split of similar size.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    LucMan wrote: »
    Carrier, ComfortAire, .
    Don't expect high SEER ratings on window shakers. Just try to find one that will work for a couple of years! Most are total junk.
    Yeah, for a couple hundred bucks you'll end up money ahead by putting the money in producing more power than with the more efficient unit. Funny how things work out in our crazy world.

I got a bid last year to change to a more efficient heat pump. The difference was $4,900, it would have taken 20 years to pay for it the one I got will be long in the crusher by then.