Enphase Inverter defective

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Enphase Inverter defective

Can you swap the inverter with another "good one" in a different position and see what happens? That should at least satisfy you that the problem either follows the inverter or stays with the position.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Can you swap the inverter with another "good one" in a different position and see what happens? That should at least satisfy you that the problem either follows the inverter or stays with the position.

-Bill
    Bill, absolutely Brilliant suggestion. It only took 32 posts to come up with the perfect solution. Some of us just can't see the forest for the trees. 3 plugs and 5 minutes and he'll know for sure.
  • andyman
    andyman Solar Expert Posts: 32

No need to swap. Replacement arrived today, installed, and all 28 panels are now online and system is back to full production. Complaint filed with the better business bureau (they look like they care about BBB since they pay to be accredited). I'll deal with small claims when I have time, for now we'll see if the BBB can help.

I'll file the small claims when time permits. And I have no problems going up a circuit if theres an attorney willing to take this to class action status without me putting much money out. I'm not stranger to litigation. I'm going after someone right now through adversarial proceedings in federal bankruptcy court (chapter 7).
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭

pfff....

The Enphase warranty is pretty clear:
    During the Warranty Period, Enphase will, at its option, repair or replace the Defective Product free of charge, provided that Enphase through inspection establishes the existence of a defect that is covered by the Limited Warranty.

My emphasis.

So let's see, they gave you an option for remote inspection, you were unable to supply that. (Or maybe we should say, you refused.) Now you are not sending it back to them to give them a chance to physically inspect it (or are you?). So who is going to establish technically that the inverter has actually failed and that they owe you anything?

IANAL, but I don't think you have much of a case. And if you want to file a frivolous class-action lawsuit that may bankrupt a company with a weak balance sheet ... well, I would ask you first to think of the impact that will have on the rest of us trying to get inverters replaced under their warranty.
  • andyman

Read the post. I said I offered to send back the defective unit for inspection at MY cost. I just don't have internet at home. My work won't allow a device to be plugged in that isn't company property. I don't know where you got frivolous class action. I'm just simply saying that anyone without internet is without warranty which is not documented anywhere. I know you all love enhase, I like the product too. But it sucks when you spend $$ with a company, offered 15 years of warranty, then find out you don't have any warranty.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I agree that an Internet service does not appear to be in the warranty requirements. And, originally, it was a subscription service anyway (so, being optional--they did not say anywhere that it would void your warranty--that I saw).

Anyway, you got your replacement and some paperwork to follow up on. Hope everything works out well in the end.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • andyman

Great news everyone. My case finally got escalated up the chain and Oz from enphase called me personally to apologize for their level 1 tech support guys. He admits and acknowledges that internet is not a requirement for warranty and hopes to do everything he can do improve my experience with enphase. In fact he is shipping out a replacement unit by next week and to follow up with me personally on the status on why the unit I have went bad. Once I get my replacement unit I will withdraw my complaint from the BBB. I'm really happy enphase corrected this situation. They were clearly wrong.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Personally the stress of pursuing this is not worth the couple hundred bucks. I just had a hard drive fail, seagate did require me to provide the errors I was seeing. They ups me a new drive replacement and provide a return shipping label for $10.
  • raydias
    raydias Solar Expert Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of lessons I see from your experience.

1- Only 1 of your inverters died out of 28 so you still had solar power being supplied. Had this been a central inverter you would be down, how long would it have taken to get a replacement? A selling point for micro inverters. Not a selling point based on customer service and warranty treatment.

2- Probably a good idea to buy a couple of extra micro inverters for redundancy if you go this route.

3- Know your warranty rights and don't back down. Eventually you will get past the script reading outsourced level 1 support and get someone that has a clue. If all else fails use BBB and report the issue

For those with a central inverter have any of you had to replace your inverter? What was the replacement experience?

I am on the fence as to which way to go myself for when I install my system
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a central inverter in the process of being replaced. Short version is it's a new model from a company that chaged hands not too long ago and it's still working, but not correctly.
    The first contact was with the company that sold it to me, their response was the company would replace it with the same model. I didn't want the same model because the "bugs" need to be worked out of it.
    The seller said they would NOT replace it with a different manufacturers inverter unless I paid for the install + a restocking fee for the replacement. After 2months everyone has came around and I'm getting the inverter I want at no cost.
    The installer is getting credit from the inverter company and paying the install costs, or at least that's what I've been told.
    I've kept after the inverter company and the company that sold me the original for 2 months, but it will be worth it if I get what I want.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    tmarch wrote: »
    I have a central inverter in the process of being replaced. Short version is it's a new model from a company that changed hands not too long ago and it's still working, but not correctly.
    The first contact was with the company that sold it to me, their response was the company would replace it with the same model. I didn't want the same model because the "bugs" need to be worked out of it.

tmarch,
    Please tell us what manufacturer and which inverter. Your contribution to the forum isn't very useful to the rest of us without that info. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    tmarch,
    Please tell us what manufacturer and which inverter. Your contribution to the forum isn't very useful to the rest of us without that info. --vtMaps

My "contribution" is simply to verify that (maybe?) it would be better to go with Enphase or something similar, instead of a central inverter. Especially if it's as easy to replace them as I've been told.

The inverter company backed their inverter which is good, but my probem was with the seller charging me a restocking fee if I wanted another brand. Now supposedly that is taken care of so we'll see.

Any company can have a bad inverter go out, I just prefer a time tested product.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

OK, let me try again...
    tmarch wrote: »
    I didn't want the same model because the "bugs" need to be worked out of it.

I am curious to know what inverter is so buggy that you didn't want it. That info may help someone else avoid it. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭

andyman,

Glad to hear that Enphase worked out your problem. I do agree that if you provide them the data that should be equal to their having the access to the Envoy directly through the internet. Shouldn't have been so hard.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    OK, let me try again...

I am curious to know what inverter is so buggy that you didn't want it. That info may help someone else avoid it. --vtMaps
    Let's see... The company changed hands recently and they have "buggy" inverters in the field. I will hazard a guess that the manufacturer's name begins with "X". :D
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

And in a related story...

Look for SMA's entry into the microinverter market to be released soon. I have had one in my hands. It's red.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Will add my Snarky comment:

That same X or S company has a number of BUGGY products. They were SO reluctant to fix one of the BUGs in a CC, that they simply documented it in the manual as a Feature -- I thought it was a TYPO.

I love to hate those guys. Will try hard to NEVER buy any of their products, but will have to at some point ... Just opinions, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Have to say "keep it civil" at this point, just as a reminder.

Although it's difficult as I have the same opinion of the company in question for the same reasons. Personal experience + further reports of similar and worse situations on this forum lead me to believe this is a company with a problem. It's a pretty big problem too. So far they don't seem to be doing much to address the issue either.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

OK Marc,

BUT, Do not believe that the non-Enphase company was really identified, altho, thank goodness that there are not many companies that seem to have issues at the level that this one particular, not-identified one seems to continue to have.

AND, the indirect reference that I made was based on my personal experience with that other company, not just from anecdotal reports.

Companies DO work hard to develop reputations, This one company seems to have worked very, very hard over a period of time to maintain and extend its hard-earned rep.

Thanks, Civil Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

"Look for SMA's entry into the microinverter market to be released soon. I have had one in my hands. It's red. "

Well hopefully they are competitively priced
    That will mean 4 companies to choose from Enphase, Enecsys & enphase and power one.
    Power one announced version 2 of their Micro inverters a month ago
    http://www.power-one.com/renewable-energy/news/power-one-launches-second-micr

funny thing is I never realized Power One's version 1 was out?!? Maybe I live in a cave? Or they have really bad marketing?
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I have just stumbled onto this thread, and in the process of installing enphase inverters on my panels - I have not ordered them as of yet . I am going to go back thru this thread and ready it all first . . . problem is, ya need the Internet too see production numbers . . . bummer .:(

hmmm should I get em or not ?

Gotta go. . .
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    That will mean 4 companies to choose from Enphase, Enecsys & enphase and power one.
    Don't ignore SolarEdge which, although it uses a combination of DC to DC optimizers and a string inverter which controls them, provides many of the advantages of a microinverter system, not the least being the Rapid Shutdown capability required in the 2014 NEC.

SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I have been keeping my solar guy informed about this thread, and he pointed out too me that he has a client that had enphase inverters - and his system was hit by lightning - no Internet at all - they were all replaced under warranty . . . now of course - this guy is trying to sell me them . . . and he does not say what kind of loops and hoops he had to go thru to get them replaced . .

How does the SolarEdge compare cost wise ? I have my guy pricing out the inverters now. . .
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.