The flexware 500 set questions

Options
Currently I have one VFX3648, FM80, hub4, mate2, rts, DC side breakers, 12x 195W panels and 8x T105´s, a DC and AC lightning arrestors.

I need to purchase the FW mounting set, the FW panel, FW500AC and FW500DC. I have read the documents on what they include in terms of buss bars but since it’s my first time I don’t really know if I must order more positive and/or negative buss bars to be able to wire everything properly.
This will be 120v system, single inverter for now with room to grow if needed.

Also I need at least 3 AC breakers for single inverter bypass assembly.
About the GFP breaker, do I really need it ? I don’t quite understand what it does.

So you wise solar installers please give me your wisdom.
Thanks.

P.D.
Oh its raining outside.

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: The flexware 500 set questions

konstantin,

Usually, the Bypass Breaker is specialized. It has a mechanical Lock-Out, And IIRC, the breakers are (perhaps) riveted together.

You might want to inquire on the Midnite Solar Forum, believe that this may be the correct Topic:
    http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?board=4.0

If not, use the Home button and poke around on the site.

There is also the OutBack Power Forum FlexWare Toopic:
    http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=177909c6a28da464323da2b39058701d

Others here know much more about OB than I, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And in reading the AC Breaker reply ... Have you looked at Midnite Solar's E-Panels for OutBack:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/products.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=1&productCatName=E-Panel - Outback

Usually the direct links do not work on the MN site, so you may need to select E-Panel Outback, or similar from the produsts list to view..

As you may know, the Founders of Midnite, founded Outback Power, and were key engineering persons at Trace/Xantrex. They know their stuff, and have a number of less expensive solutions (than OB) for people llike you.

The only OB products that I'm using here are MX-60s, Combiners and some breakers, so I know little about the E-Panels.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • konstantin.neo
    konstantin.neo Registered Users Posts: 19
    Options

Thanks Vic.
    Didn't knew about MN, going to read about the E-panels.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't knew about MN, going to read about the E-panels.

The outback system is very tight to work in. If you want room to grow or maneuver, definitely go with the e-panel. Be sure to choose the 'stretch' version.

Midnite has very good instructions and wiring diagrams. Your vfx3648 has a transfer switch built in, but if you ever need to remove the inverter for service you will be happy that the e-panel comes with an inverter bypass switch. Its two breakers, one upside down, with a mechanical interlock.

All of the e-panels used to come with a GFP, but not anymore (because the classic controller has a built in GFP). You will need to specify that you want your e-panel with a GFP. As to whether you should have a GFP, that is very controversial. The brightest minds on this forum think its a bad idea. It is code, however. If you will be inspected you must have it.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i