Newbie - need help with portable solar panel

monaswebs
monaswebs Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey all. Great forum!

Ok, I have to admit, I am a total newbie and don't know much about solar power. My brother is getting married soon and he likes to go camping. He has an RV that he takes out sometimes. He had mentioned that it would be great to get a "portable solar panel."

I found some info and samples, but am wondering if anyone here could provide any other advice. I am not exactly sure of the specs or anything, but I am just looking for some general advice about brands and what to look for and what to stay away from and an idea of cost.

This is what I found:
- seems like LOTS of different options here. Where do I start?

Thanks for ANY help,
Mona

Comments

• solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Newbie - need help with portable solar panel

Welcome to the fray! err Site! :D

You have asked the most popular loaded question! You really need to know what you are going to use it for. A couple lights? Charge the cell phone? Radio? Loads are where you start.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It really all depends on how much power you want/need...

Those little portable systems (something like $100 for a 7 watt panel + AA/AAA battery charger + adapters) vs $265 for a 95 watt solar panel (plus some more for a charge controller, battery, wiring, etc.). They are different solutions designed to meet different requirements.

One will power a smart phone and another will power a small laptop (for example).

Here is some information for small (camper sized, not "hiker" type solar power systems):

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • monaswebs
    monaswebs Registered Users Posts: 2

WOW! You guys are really active. I figured it would take a few days to get an answer :-). Thanks for the quick responses.

Ok, so as I read more and more about this, it seems to me that you almost have to be an expert to pick out the "right" product. I am thinking that MAYBE it would just be better to get my brother a gift certificate to a store that sells all different kinds and sizes of panels. Do you have any recommendations where I could get a GC he could use for this? I am assuming that Home Depot or Lowes won't have these, right? Should he go to a specialty store? He lives in SoCal - if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the help. You guys are awesome!

Mona
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Welcome to the fray! err Site! :D

You have asked the most popular loaded question! You really need to know what you are going to use it for. A couple lights? Charge the cell phone? Radio? Loads are where you start.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    monaswebs wrote: »
    I am assuming that Home Depot or Lowes won't have these, right?

They might have them, but beware! A lot of folks come to this forum looking for help AFTER buying something from those places. Often there's not much we can do to help them.

Just had a thought... pick up the current issue of Home Power magazine. The cover story is on portable power for camping. Lots of info and pictures. It will be a few dollars well spent. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

in a case like this it would be good to know what it would be that would need powered. there are plenty of small panels and small controllers out there to choose from. if you know the power of the item add about 30% or greater to know what pv stc power to get for most battery loads. if the loads are ac and an inverter is involved then add about 50% to get the proper pv stc rating. even on a small scale this is not a cheap gift.

small pvs- http://www.solar-electric.com/1to39wasopa.html

controllers- http://www.solar-electric.com/chco.html
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mona. I also welcome you to this form.
    Did you notice that the responses were mentioning small loads? Not one of them mentioned hair dryers, fridges or worst of all - - air conditioners?
    We sometimes assume that people asking questions such as yours, already know these and similar items are off limits for small portable solar systems, when in reality, many are indeed not aware of such things.
    So, we're back to square one - - - need to know what is expected to be operated on this proposed system, even before purchasing a gift certificate, as it would be a shame to waste the certificate on an unworkable system, or to have it go unused because the store it was purchased from, does not handle what is really needed.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't know of any reputable solar places off hand that have gift certificates so you may need to give him the cash or a check up to whatever amount you deem good for his present and you would lack the ability to limit the purchase to a particular place of business if he purchases at all for he may keep the $.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Vtmaps has a good idea--How about a gift subscription to Home Power Mag:

http://homepower.com/home/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset