RetroFoam installs

Options
solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone had this done to your house? It is where they come in and drill the outside and shoot the walls with a water based foam insulation.

http://retrofoam.com/

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: RetroFoam installs

many years ago when they first started doing an option like that in this northern area there was problems due to sweating walls. this led to molds and mildews and was a real problem to reverse this. now humidity levels are much lower in your area that this may not be a problem.
  • solar_dave
    Options

Just got a quote, 2400 sq ft house + 3 car garage, 10ft ceilings, fairly large perimeter, add a foot of blown in to existing attic insulation (about 18 inches with 15 yrs of settling) all exterior holes refinished and painted. $6500.

On the fence, it would reduce the AC run times I am sure and tighten it up a bunch.

@niel, no issues with humidity here ever. We don't even run the fan after a shower and never even get a fog on the mirror.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

no sweat, pun intended.:p

you asked.:roll:
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

In Phoenix where I live the biggest problem is heat gain in the summer, humidity is usually not much of an issue for 10 months of the year. It is hard to track actual results, but upgrading South facing glass and upgrading sunscreens to 80% ones definately helped on that side of the house. I also have looked at the foam, but it is a pretty expensive option.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most spray foam is an effective vapor barrier. The problem in cold climates is making sure the Vapor barrier is tight. A big issue with retro insulation on any type is getting near 100% coverage. A good installer will work with IR cameras, density meters etc to detect voids that might be missed.

Bottom line is a good contractor is going to be expensive to do the job right, removing and repairing adding, patching holes etc. to do it right, one needs a lot of holes,, in every stud cavity, including under and over windows and doors for example.

Tony
  • solar_dave
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »
    In Phoenix where I live the biggest problem is heat gain in the summer, humidity is usually not much of an issue for 10 months of the year. It is hard to track actual results, but upgrading South facing glass and upgrading sunscreens to 80% ones definately helped on that side of the house. I also have looked at the foam, but it is a pretty expensive option.

Yeah is NOT cheap! we only have one large window with direct south facing sun exposure and it has 80% sun screens and a dual layer cellular shade. West facing not so much, sun screens but no cellular shades, smaller windows however.

Did you look at window films?

FYI edit:

The 2 3ton Trane AC units are at near capacity i.e. 100% duty cycle, at outside temps of 110F and above
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

The new window films by 3M are about the best thing going, but also rather expensive. Installed they seem to be around $3 per square foot, and so far I have not found a self-install version. I have a West facing patio door where the 60-70% hear reduction would probably keep out a bunch of the afternoon heat, but to make it worth it would probably have to also get new patio doors, since the old ones are standard glass with an old 8-9% film on them.
  • solar_dave
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »
    The new window films by 3M are about the best thing going, but also rather expensive. Installed they seem to be around $3 per square foot, and so far I have not found a self-install version. I have a West facing patio door where the 60-70% hear reduction would probably keep out a bunch of the afternoon heat, but to make it worth it would probably have to also get new patio doors, since the old ones are standard glass with an old 8-9% film on them.

thanks for that reference, I have an estimate coming next Tuesday morning and will let you know how it goes.