2011 Nasa product of the year

Dave Angelini
Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
One of my space buddies sent this to me. Might be nice in the right application. I am hoping that this kind of design becomes more mainstream. The usage of energy when it makes sense to the owner. Smart Grid!

http://sundanzer.com/wp-content/uploads/BFR105-Specs.pdf
"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
   htps://offgridsolar1.com/
E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 2011 Nasa product of the year

with a price tag like that i'd be better off going the other route and i'd have a bigger refrig too.
  • rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭

Exactly. That is a NASA Price tag! LOL. $1400 or $1900 with a solar panel for a tiny fridge? Makes me want to be a hunter gatherer.
  • Dave Angelini

Either of you guy's ever try to live offgrid for more than a week or two? Might be nice for someone who really needs a system that can go 4 days unattended. Oh well...

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Curiously, I'm sure this product has come on the forum before when someone was looking in to SunDanzer refrigerators and the issue of getting either 12 or 24 Volt version.

The price may seem stiff compared to a conventional 'frige, but not when you add in the cost of solar power to run a conventional 'frige. Believe me; I know from whence I speak!

Very good choice for a small, occasional-use cabin (as opposed to a propane unit which costs as much and is only a bit larger, plus uses propane).

Not perfect for all situations, but then what is?
    Oh yeah: money! :p
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Curiously, I'm sure this product has come on the forum before when someone was looking in to SunDanzer refrigerators and the issue of getting either 12 or 24 Volt version.

The Sundanzer (as well as Steca, Sunfrost, and other ultra efficient fridges) uses the Danfoss compressor. These units self configure to 12 or 24 volts. There are not separate versions for 12 or 24 volts. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Perhaps it was the system Voltage that was being debated. The thread is probably in the archives now.

I don't know. I read every post every day for years, answer a couple dozen PM's a day, get e-mails, and answer the same sort of questions in 'real life'. For some reason the stuff starts to blend together after a while and all begins to look like one big, endless, rambling thread.

It's a wonder I can remember to ban the spammers.
  • Dave Angelini

I am using one for a client/friend building a house 130 miles from a power line. The house is unattended alot and if the bad guy's break-in he has not lost much as he did not pay full list, he bought at the street price. He likes it because he is so busy building he does not have to think about batteries and charging.http://sundanzer.com/wp-content/uplo...R105-Specs.pdf

The Stecca is a really nice freezer/reefer but does not hold as long as the Sundanzer/reefer.

I would think this unit would go well in a place like Haiti after a big storm.