Awesome Ceiling Fan; FYI

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
I have been looking at AC/110 volt ceiling fans that use DC motors for years, they are not cheap. Looked again this year, and found that Lowe's now carried one such fan, and it is a real monster. It is a 9 blade, 72 inch, called a Slinger, 300$ at their on line site, and it is not my stores.. 6 speed each way, stats from memory, 9400 CFM, 293 CFM per watt. Put my fluke on it and it appears to be pulling 28 watts wide open. I need to do another amp test, might be a little bit lower.

Very well made and machined,, installation was a breeze, made by the same company that sells through the net name Fanimation, Customer support was instantaneous, USA in Indiana. This thing moves mountains of air, in a very pleasant manner, It covers our 22 X 32 family room very nicely, in reverse.

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Re: Awesome Ceiling Fan; FYI

So why where you looking for one with a DC motor? Are you powering the motor directly with a DC source?
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

Bet he is using a MSW inverter.
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

SOLARONE has been promoting that ceiling fan on all the solar web sites .
  • solorone
    john p wrote: »
    SOLARONE has been promoting that ceiling fan on all the solar web sites .

NO, NOT ON ALL SITES. I POSTED THIS BECAUSE I AM NOW GETTING TWICE THE AIR FLOW FOR LESS WATTS.

I did post my recent purchase of this fan on ONE (1) other site. They got themselves all in a knot over there, paranoid I guess suggesting I am some profiteer. I have nothing to do with the fan company, Geeez folks!!

I thought this is where we could share our thoughts, needs, wants, info, and cool finds, The fan, for myself and my wife was a great purchase and we are really enjoying it, and looking forward to using it when the heat hits Georgia. That's it, just me, another off grider, 29 years now, trying help out.
  • solorone
    techntrek wrote: »
    So why where you looking for one with a DC motor? Are you powering the motor directly with a DC source?

The fan is AC/110, it just uses a DC motor. They use a lot less power, and produce more torque, the blades can be more aggressive and move more air, with a slower RPM and quieter motor.

I have in effect cut my fan power needs by half or more.
  • solorone
    n3qik wrote: »
    Bet he is using a MSW inverter.

I am currently on my 4th Trace, an older SW4024
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    solorone wrote: »
    NO, NOT ON ALL SITES. I POSTED THIS BECAUSE I AM NOW GETTING TWICE THE AIR FLOW FOR LESS WATTS.

I did post my recent purchase of this fan on ONE (1) other site. They got themselves all in a knot over there, paranoid I guess suggesting I am some profiteer. I have nothing to do with the fan company, Geeez folks!!

I thought this is where we could share our thoughts, needs, wants, info, and cool finds, The fan, for myself and my wife was a great purchase and we are really enjoying it, and looking forward to using it when the heat hits Georgia. That's it, just me, another off grider, 29 years now, trying help out.

It's unfortunate "solorone" that you got so jumped on. I know what it's like and is the reason why a while back, I walked away from this form for over a year. I believe you will find the vast majority here to be great people. Unfortunately it appears a fact of life that no matter where one goes, there will always be one or two who seem programed to occasionally jump to the wrong conclusions and perhaps even lash out. Hang in there. "It gets better". I believe you'll find this form to be the overall best of it's kind, or at least one of the very best. Many folks here have helped me greatly in the past, even when I didn't want to listen. Special thanks to "BB", Cariboocot", "Niel" and "Icarus" in particular, and I know there are others I have missed or are no longer active here. Eventually my eyes were opened, and now I even get to occasionally help others.
    In the meantime, I thank you for your input and look forward to hearing more.
    Peace.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate "solorone" that you got so jumped on.
    <snip>
    In the meantime, I thank you for your input and look forward to hearing more.

I couldn't have said it any better.
    By the way, I have noticed that the most efficient ventilation fans (for bathrooms, kitchen exhaust, etc) use DC motors.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I have noticed that the most efficient ventilation fans (for bathrooms, kitchen exhaust, etc) use DC motors.
    --vtMaps

Likewise. One of the very first things I did was to change out the motors in my heat recovery air exchanger. BIG energy savings over the old AC motors. Very important for off grid living.
  • solorone

I just did a more careful amp test of our new fan. I made an error on the watt usage originally. Wide open, it pulls 31.2 W.

After a couple of weeks usage, we have found the we use the 1, 2 or 3 speeds if we are under it, with the fan blowing down, and only use the 5 and 6 the rest of the time with the fan blowing upward. It rolls air down the walls with a very gentle cooling flow.

The fairly efficient fan we replaced ran wide open all summer, and pulled some 30 or 35 watts, and it was only 36 or 40 inches Dia. so I think we are getting the the same airflow of C F M with the new fan at the #3 speed, and definitely at the #4 speed.

We heat with a soap stone stove, and some small infrared LP units in the corners of our house. I am looking forward to seeing how well the fan will blend these different heat sources.

Speed 1 = 4.8 W

2= 7.2 W

3= 12 W

4 = 14.4 W

5 = 21.6 W

6 = 31.2
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭

Thanks for the update and the measurements. I may try one in my living room.
  • Lee Dodge
    Lee Dodge Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    The interest in DC motors has to do with the fact that modern DC motors in the size range used for HVAC applications are more efficient than most AC motors, and that the DC motors can operate efficiently over a range of speeds, while the AC motor efficiencies drop off as the speed is varied. The improvement in DC motors has to do with the development of SCR (silicon-controlled retifiers), if I understand correctly. Claimed efficiencies for DC electronically commutated motors (ECM) are 65% to 72% at all speeds, while the AC permanent split capacitor motors (PSC) that they replace are claimed to be 12% to 45%. (These numbers from a company that makes ECM motors, so difference could be exaggerated.)

The website http://www.nailor.com/pdf/ecm_1.pdf explains it better than I can.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Here's a fan I bought a while back. You can compare the numbers against yours. It appears to draw twice as much, but it only ever runs on low. A 52" fan in a bedroom moves a fair amount of air at that speed.

fanwatts.jpg

The upside is this one is less than 1/3 the cost of the one with a DC motor. For an off-grid type, probably worth the cost difference.

Thanks for posting the info, along with the measurements...
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

with a 52 inch I fan, I would hope it should move some air
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Ouch, I think I need to go fan shopping!

And here I was thinking my living room ceiling fan was pretty good - about 60W on "medium"... Well, I suppose it *is* good compared to the box fan I run in the bedroom - closer to 100W!

On a bit of a tangent, has anyone found any really efficient box-style fans?
  • solorone

Surely you have to balance out the cost and effectiveness of the fan, the fan I list would put out about 75% more air at your minimum wattage, when under the fan we are finding we have it set on #1 or 2. We also have in a large room, and it mostly is washing air down the exterior walls. No way this fan would be worth putting in a smaller room. Off grid living and saving watts, have never been a cheap combination. It is the price we pay to live where we wish. :<)
  • solorone

If you have 12 or 24 volt available, look up on the net for a 16" DC fan, it is bare bones frame with aggressive blades, bought one years ago and mounted as a vent fan, in top of a window. Two years ago I built a box for it, with safety wire, and it sitting at low level as a window fan now, don't remember the CFMs, but it is a lot at 12V and would blow the sheets of at 24 V, it pulls 1.2 Amps at 12 V.

Edit:

I had a quick look on the net and found this, similar to what I made for a box window fan http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalog/fans.htm

I was also surprised to see what all is available now now in DC fans, seems like the improved income of the Chinese, has increased demand for such items, as there is a huge selection out there, but performance may be lacking.

Also use these, insanely low amp draw, but are 12 V, you may find a higher voltage only pull .3 or .4A.
    I Built a little cradle for them and set them in the windows of back rooms.
    We have not had AC for 35 years, so fans are big deal for us. They sent some fans, with LEDs on them by mistake, simple to clip off

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5451/fan-279/250mm_Silent_Case_Fan.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15221/fan-961/Akasa_230_x_200_x_30mm_Massive_Cooling_Case_Fan_AK-FN068.html
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

The Fan-Tastic fan looks pretty good at 3 amps draw..

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Fan-Tastic is big in the RV world because of their high efficiency.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Ya, we have a ceiling exhaust fan by them in our camper and it is great to keep the heat down when parked, but no way to check the draw as it is all built-in

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    Ya, we have a ceiling exhaust fan by them in our camper and it is great to keep the heat down when parked, but no way to check the draw as it is all built-in

I have one in our travel trailer as well. Here are the specs: http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_4000/model_4000.html
  • monoloco
    monoloco Solar Expert Posts: 103 ✭✭

I just installed two Emerson Eco motor fans in the house, they are 6 speed, remote controlled, and they claim to only use 17.5 watts on high speed (6000+ cfm). We've been really happy with them so far.
  • solorone
    Well almost 3 years to the day, my slinger just refused to turn on. :<((... Very happy that is was a cool memorial day weekend. Talked to Fanimation first thing today, since my light will come on with the remote they assume it is the receiver board and have shipped one our 2nd day UPS at no charge, Tech answered promptly, courteous and friendly. I guess this is how you run a successful company. I did tell them I was seriously dependent on the fan, guess I need to get off the dime and buy another one for the bedroom. be nice to have a back up.
  • Anawa
    Anawa Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Solorone for info on the fan. Very timely for me. In November, I purchased 7 Aeratron 3-blade ceiling fans for our new house. The specs are incredible: 50", DC motor, max 18 watts, mid-range 7.5 watts with 750m2/watt. The fan design is somewhat out of character for the rest of the house but, they are silent, remote controlled, well balanced, and I bought them at the right time - about $250 ea. at Home Depot. I had operational issues with a couple of them, it seems the wireless harness was a bit contrary, but with some effort the unit would then 'snap' into a firm connection.

I like them so much that I wanted another one, but alas, they don't sell they anymore! I can only find them for around $425 which is outside my comfort range.

I recommend these fans for an off-grid installation, if the price is right. I may be looking at the Sling as a possible addition.

Paul
    Paul 
    in Georgia

System 1: PV- 410w Evergreen, Mppt- Blue Sky Solar Boost, Batt - 225ah Deka AGM, 12v led house lighting,
    System 2: PV- 215w Kyocera, PWM - Morningstar PS30, Batt- 225ah Deka GC's, 12v led house lighting, Dankoff 12v water pump,
    System 3: PV- 1.5kw Kyocera, Grundfos 11 SQF well pump, 3000 gal above ground water storage, dom water & irrigation,
    System 4: PV- 6.1kw Kyocera, Mppt- Outback FM80-2ea, Inverter- Outback FX3648-2ea, Batt- 804ah GB traction, Grundfos BMQE booster pump 240v, Mitsibushi mini-splits 240v, 18k and 15k
  • rclark
    rclark Registered Users Posts: 3
    solorone wrote: »
    Well almost 3 years to the day, my slinger just refused to turn on. :<((... Very happy that is was a cool memorial day weekend. Talked to Fanimation first thing today, since my light will come on with the remote they assume it is the receiver board and have shipped one our 2nd day UPS at no charge, Tech answered promptly, courteous and friendly. I guess this is how you run a successful company. I did tell them I was seriously dependent on the fan, guess I need to get off the dime and buy another one for the bedroom. be nice to have a back up.

Ouch, 3 years doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Glad the tech support helped you out so promptly, but I'd prefer higher quality to begin with, you know?