Schneider Electric XW MPPT 80 600 SCC Q & A

2»

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Schneider Electric XW MPPT 80 600 SCC Q & A
    65DegN wrote: »
    OK, so it's like a string charge controller for off grid. Thats different. That just might do what I am looking to do. I don't see anything on the Schneider site that explains this device except a brief spec sheet with very little info.

Thanks for your interest and questions, and thanks to CaribouCoot and Dave for their answers!

There's a fair amount of product info available, but it can be hard to find. Here are some shortcuts:

About the MPPT 80 600 SCC (pdf data sheet; slightly out of date but useable)
    MPPT 80 600 SCC Installation Guide (pdf; Rev B)
    MPPT 80 600 SCC Operation Guide (pdf; Rev B)

Additionally, I have an MPPT 80 600 SCC marketing and application briefing I delivered at the 2012 AEE Solar Dealer Convention in Orlando. It includes a half-dozen application examples, and I'm happy to share it (pdf; 1.2 MB).

Please contact me if you'd like a copy.

Regards,
    Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric Solar Business
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Jim;

Perhaps you could clarify an issue of availability on other Xantrex products?
    This thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?16150-24v-or-12v-inverter-amp-bank/page3
    Since the Schneider takeover of Xantrex it is sometimes unclear as to which products are available and which aren't. Having one web site with the Schneider name and some of the product line and another with the Xantrex name and other products is confusing. Well, to some of us who are easily confused anyway. :roll:
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back crewzer! Perhaps you could take a look at this thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15895

One of our forum members had a Xantrex problem and tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox was full. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • crewzer
    Jim;

Perhaps you could clarify an issue of availability on other Xantrex products?
    This thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?16150-24v-or-12v-inverter-amp-bank/page3
    Since the Schneider takeover of Xantrex it is sometimes unclear as to which products are available and which aren't. Having one web site with the Schneider name and some of the product line and another with the Xantrex name and other products is confusing. Well, to some of us who are easily confused anyway. :roll:

Understood. Due to vertical integration opportunities with other Schneider products and services, as well as growing international markets, our business has changed. Following the acquisition by SE, the "mobile" products -- those intended for boats, cars, commercial/industrial vehicles, RV's, etc. -- have been marketed under the Xantrex name. There's strong brand identification in that market. The familiar "old" Xantrex renewable energy products are marketed under the Schneider Electric and "Conext" names to align them with SE's strong international brand recognition.

Information about current Xantrex products is available from the Xantrex homepage.

Information about SE's Solar Business Products is available from SE's Renewable Energies homepage.

I hope this helps!
    Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business
  • crewzer
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Welcome back crewzer! Perhaps you could take a look at this thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?15895

One of our forum members had a Xantrex problem and tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox was full. --vtMaps

vtmaps,

After clearing out my inbox, I was able to respond to Alan. Unfortunately, there was little I could offer at the time. However, if new products are available for less than current "loyalty discount" prices, that info might affect the actual loyalty discount.

It's worth a try!

Regards,
    Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business
  • crewzer
    Yes: 195 Volts is the minimum.

Page A-2 of the manual:
    "PV Array Voltage Operating Range: 195 to 550 VDC"
    "PV Array Voltage Full Power Range: 230 to 550 VDC"
    "Maximum Power Point Tracking Range: 195 to 510 VDC"

Voc must never exceed 600.
    boB wrote: »
    So, what is the difference between "Maximum Power Point Tracking Range" and "PV Array Voltage Full Power Range" ? ? ?

Or another way to ask this is what does "Full Power Range" mean, exactly ???

boB

These specs are operational limits, and they need to be taken in context.

With an input voltage limit of 600 Vdc, and assuming a mild 110% temperature correction factor {ref "old" NEC 690.7, down to 0 C (32 F)}, a sample array's STC Voc would be 600 Vdc / 110% = 545 Vdc. If STC Vmp = STC Voc x ~80%, then the sample array's STC Vmp would be ~436 Vdc. Under hot operational conditions (STC + 30 C or more), the operational Vmp would be even less.

436 Vdc is well within the specs identified above. I would suggest that the numbers indicate a very comfortable headroom across a broad range of operating conditions.

HTH,
    Jim Godnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    crewzer wrote: »
    Understood. Due to vertical integration opportunities with other Schneider products and services, as well as growing international markets, our business has changed. Following the acquisition by SE, the "mobile" products -- those intended for boats, cars, commercial/industrial vehicles, RV's, etc. -- have been marketed under the Xantrex name. There's strong brand identification in that market. The familiar "old" Xantrex renewable energy products are marketed under the Schneider Electric and "Conext" names to align them with SE's strong international brand recognition.

Information about current Xantrex products is available from the Xantrex homepage.

Information about SE's Solar Business Products is available from SE's Renewable Energies homepage.

I hope this helps!
    Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business

So why do the XW products still say "Xantrex" on them?
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    These specs are operational limits, and they need to be taken in context.

With an input voltage limit of 600 Vdc, and assuming a mild 110% temperature correction factor {ref "old" NEC 690.7, down to 0 C (32 F)}, a sample array's STC Voc would be 600 Vdc / 110% = 545 Vdc. If STC Vmp = STC Voc x ~80%, then the sample array's STC Vmp would be ~436 Vdc. Under hot operational conditions (STC + 30 C or more), the operational Vmp would be even less.

436 Vdc is well within the specs identified above. I would suggest that the numbers indicate a very comfortable headroom across a broad range of operating conditions.

HTH,
    Jim Godnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business

OK, I still don't understand but I am going to guess that with these two specification lines....

"PV Array Voltage Full Power Range: 230 to 550 VDC"
    "Maximum Power Point Tracking Range: 195 to 510 VDC"

So I am guessing that this CC will TRACK from 195V to 510V but will NOT yield full power
    between 195 and 230 volts...
    i.e. It will limit RAISE the input voltage from say, 200V up
    to 230V input to TRY to give you full power ?

AND, it will yield full rated power between 510V and 550V but will NOT be guaranteed
    to TRACK between 510V and 550 volts. i.e. the CC will somehow just wander around
    between 510V and 550V and put out full power, somehow ??

Do you see my confusion from those number ? If not, please enlighten me.

AND, like Dave, I was also confused by the Xantrex name on the units. I tried not too
    long ago to do a search on the Xantrex web site for "XW" and nothing came up at all.
    I would think that Schneider would want those two letters to be searchable on ALL
    of their web sites.

SO, who is this SE company that bought somebody ? Or did Schneider buy SE ?
    (whoever "SE" is).

BTW, Jim, will you be at SPI this September ?? It would be very nice to see you
    again (if I get to go)

boB

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

"SE" is Schneider Electric who bought Xantrex.

Originally I thought the controller's Voltage specs worked much like a GT inverter, needing a minimum 230 to turn on, but would allow power to drop to 195 before shutting off (unlike a conventional MPPT controller that works from anything over battery Voltage on up to max). Also that in the 510 to 550 Volt range it was unable to produce any additional current from that extra 30 Volts.

It has been my understanding that this unit was designed to answer the recurring need for a charge controller that can be adapted to existing GT arrays to provide battery back-up charging for systems that don't already have it. The specs work well for that application.

As for the split in the product line, that just doesn't make sense to me. Xantrex was a well-established brand and I don't see any business advantage to placing some of the units under one name (and web site) and some under another.

But given my track record of understand what is going on in the world I wouldn't count on any of the above being correct. :blush:
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    "SE" is Schneider Electric who bought Xantrex.

Schneider Electric is also the parent company of "Square D".

"Square D" has been a primary manufacturer of electrical equipment used as balance-of-system components, both AC and DC, throughout the history of the PV industry. Notably, they have been the foremost suppliers of readily available DC rated equipment.

I have been a big fan of Square D equipment since I started as an electrical apprentice. I was delighted when I found out they were to become the new owners of "The Company Formerly Known as Trace". ;)

-Alex Aragon
  • boB

Thanks Coot. SE... Of course ! DuH !!

What you say about the voltages kinda makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the wording used to specify it.

But what about the context where they spout Cos Phi > 95 for Full Power Range ?? That was for one of their
    GT inverters, but still, it could be specified less ambiguously or have definitions somewhere.

Maybe Jim will hear back from "SE" with the definitions. Not a big deal, but I am kinda curious now.

boB
  • crewzer
    I was delighted when I found out they were to become the new owners of "The Company Formerly Known as Trace". wink.png

Thanks, Alex!

SE is my abbreviation for Schneider Electric, which also owns Square D, APC, etc. The transition has caused some confusion... There's an SE link on the Xantrex homepage, but you have to scroll down the right side of the page to find it.

Here's a shortcut to renewable energy (solar) products on SE's website.

The Xantrex name is being phased out from the XW line. The new SE Solar Catalog is using the Conext family name for the XW and other products. Our global supply chain can be pretty long, so it may be a while before all "Xantrex" labelled products work their entire way through the ECO-, planning-, ordering-, manufacturing-, shipping-, warehousing-, distribution-, sales-, and installation channels.

The MPPT 80 600 SCC's behavior is affected by a variety of factors, including battery voltage. For nominal 48V systems, MPPT tracking operates down to an array voltage of ~195V, but full 80A output current requires an input of ~230V. For nominal 24V systems, full 80A output current is available starting at ~195V.

MPPT tracking is optimized up to 510 V, but may not be between 510V and 550V, the latter being the operational limit. Again, a code-compliant PV array (i.e., Voc including temp correction factor = 600Vdc or less) won't be operating at these voltages while the charger is in Bulk mode.

Much of this information -- and a whole lot more -- is available from the MPPT 80 600 SCC's Operation Guide, Section A (Specifications).

boB,

I hope to make it to SPI (in Orlando, right?), and I hope to see you there!

Regards,
    Jim Godnight
    Schneider Eelectric
    Solar Business
  • crewzer
    offgrid me wrote: »
    It allows one to use a single string of panels and run it a long distance with little loss. I run 4200watts of evergreen panels as one series string over 100ft to my cc on #8 wire with .19% wire loss. No other cc would let me do this with such little loss and reasonable wire gauge. No combiner, two connections and only 1 20 amp breaker. For my application it actually was the cost effective choice.
    Ned

Thanks, Ned!

I'm glad to hear that the MPPT 60 800 has worked out well for you. Your application is a good example of the original design intent.

Regards,
    Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric
    Solar Business
  • boB
    Thanks, Alex!

SE is my abbreviation for Schneider Electric, which also owns Square D, APC, etc. The transition has caused some confusion... There's an SE link on the Xantrex homepage, but you have to scroll down the right side of the page to find it.

Here's a shortcut to renewable energy (solar) products on SE's website.

The Xantrex name is being phased out from the XW line. The new SE Solar Catalog is using the Conext family name for the XW and other products. Our global supply chain can be pretty long, so it may be a while before all "Xantrex" labelled products work their entire way through the ECO-, planning-, ordering-, manufacturing-, shipping-, warehousing-, distribution-, sales-, and installation channels.

The MPPT 80 600 SCC's behavior is affected by a variety of factors, including battery voltage. For nominal 48V systems, MPPT tracking operates down to an array voltage of ~195V, but full 80A output current requires an input of ~230V. For nominal 24V systems, full 80A output current is available starting at ~195V.

MPPT tracking is optimized up to 510 V, but may not be between 510V and 550V, the latter being the operational limit. Again, a code-compliant PV array (i.e., Voc including temp correction factor = 600Vdc or less) won't be operating at these voltages while the charger is in Bulk mode.

Much of this information -- and a whole lot more -- is available from the MPPT 80 600 SCC's Operation Guide, Section A (Specifications).

boB,

I hope to make it to SPI (in Orlando, right?), and I hope to see you there!

Regards,
    Jim Godnight
    Schneider Eelectric
    Solar Business

Thanks Jim ! You answered my question wonderfully and it makes perfect sense now.

I hope to make it to SPI as well but not sure quite yet.

See ya soon in any case I hope !
    boB
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi again Jim,

Thanks for asking for wonderments on the XW MPPT 80 600 SCC ... Is that IT ?? Great product name!

Some have asked about customer service aspects of SE as it relates to Solar products ... I have not seen any comments from you on this.

The very POOR Tech Support and After Sale Service from Schneider is the main reason that I try as hard as I can to AVOID buying any more Schneider products at all if it is at all possible.

The very long supply chain from CHINA seems to yeild customers buying product that is at best very stale, and Schneider does not seem to care at all or enough about the customer's experience to update FirmWare which is buggy or out of date when it has landed in the NA distribution center(s).

My experience is not with the 80 600, but the XW SCC being very buggy when purchased, and unknown to me, I was informed that I needed to buy the $250 Schneider Implanter Tool to update the buggy FW, OR I could rent it from SE for $50.00 or so + shipping both ways. The product was defective months before I bought it in early 2010, but neither the seller of the product, N AZ W&S, nor SE could see any way to make this right short of my spending $$ to fix the SE BUGS. This POS CC has been used less than one week since purchase, due to BUGs. I cannot imagine such shabby service from any other manufacturer of Solar Equipment (except perhaps BZ). If I rented the Implanter Tool to correct the bug, seemed to me that there is no evidence that that update would be sufficient to correct other bugs that could well still exist in the new FW, and would likely need to rent the tool again. Neither of these options -- buying or renting -- could be expected to really elinimate all the bugs.

Schneider is so huge, and Solar customers appear to be so vanishingly unimportant that SE seems to feel that they can do anyting whatsoever to their customers, and new ones will come along, and no one will know or care.

BTW, has the Aux Output on Float been implemented yet in the 80 600? This IS important to Off-Gridders. Last I heard, this important function to many customers was unimportant to SE.

AND, what of the Xantrex Forum? Believe that you said that you might be able to archive this information. You know, the Forum model is a great one, excellent for companies that care to keep in close contact with the customer base, and customers do some of the support as well. I'll bet SE would love to have a Forum too!

Good Luck Jim in your efforts at SE. Have always respected YOUR technical expertise and ability to convey complex information to every day users. You did a stint at OutBack, which IS a service oriented company and you are missed there.
    All The Best, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini

Just some balance to the last post. With over 20 XW systems installed with 7 of the -80-600 chargers and probably 25 of the -60-150 chargers only one bad -60 charger that was replaced under warranty. Some of the systems have been running 5 years in the deserts and the convection cooling and minimum use of fans are really great for longevity. Zero problems with firmware offgrid.

I wish the X forum was arround still as it was useful to me in my offgrid applications.

• SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭

Some more "balance";

I have put many unrecoverable hours into XW issues. The learning curve was tough. I am now able to quickly make firmware upgrades and I know many of the system quirks which are beyond the understanding of the average system owner.

Several clients have been referred to me by other companies and installers because they know I have "been through it". It has been good for my reputation to be able to solve issues with systems which others could not fix. On the other hand, it has been tough when some of the systems I have sold and installed required many hours of additional work, and thousands of miles of drive time, (no exaggeration) to get them to operate as expected.

A single offgrid inverter and charge controller with the SCP can be a fairly easy system for a typical offgrid homeowner. (provided they have an adequate battery bank and an appropriate generator). I've run into a few customers with only an XW charge controller who have had similar experiences as vic. To make matters worse, many off-grid systems are beyond the reach of cell phone reception or have a complication which makes use of a landline in the power room impractical. Onsite troubleshooting without tec support can be very frustrating. I have had situations where my cell phone battery has run out while listening to the techline hold music. I'm not kidding when I say it can be infuriating to have to listen to Miles Davis playing a tune called "So What" with the phone up to my ear for often upwards of 30 minutes because using speaker phone will drain my battery faster. (It's good music but I wish I did not know the words):p

Once it is properly programmed, the XW system is great. (although, I wish it had an integrated battery monitor). It has been the right solution for many installations. For a non-technical homeowner or for servicing a system which was not properly set up from the beginning, it can be a real nightmare.

I like the XW 80 600 and have installed them where nothing else would make sense. I am, however, looking foreward to other manufacturers comming out with their own high voltage CCs. I hear Morningstar is not far behind.

Still a (somewhat battered) fan of the "Company Formerly Known As Trace",

-Alex Aragon
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Alex,

Well I am impressed with you depth and breadth of knowledge of the intricacies of the XW System, as evidenced by your posts here on this Forum.

Believe that I have been a bit TOO technical regarding the "operation" of the XW SCC (150 V) -- (who could rember the exact part#?).

Had conversations here, with self-professed experts on all things XW, who had missed the important fact that this 150 V SCC would proudly state that its current charge stage was Asorb, when the battery was about 30% charged -- around 53 V in my system. This was preposterous! Called Xantrex tech support, and they said that this was never seen before. Called later, and a different tech told me after a few day wait that they were unable to duplicate the problem -- notta problem.

Finally, on calling back, found a tech that DID know of this "new feature" The XW SCC designers had simply redefined the meaning of the hundred year old term, "Asorbtion Charge" stage to be, "charge voltage has reached the Float voltage setting during the Bulk charge stage".

What arrogance! The SCC is such a hot product that it gets to Asorb three times faster than the competition. Actually, of course this was a BUG. The bug caused me to be concerned about other LIES that the CC was telling. Took it out of service pending my attempts to get this BUGGY FW replaced with some less buggy FW, but there the resolution stopped Schneider/Xantrex could not care less.

My Build 4 uint, and all the others of that build had/have this bug. One of the experts here had not noticed this in all of the installs that had been done by them.

This XW SCC is indeed the best CC for those who do not know or care about the details of battery charging, or the state of their system. For those who do care, bet that the Midnite Classic IS the product to use unless string volatges are 300- 400 V. It is from a company that cares about the customer, and even has a Forum to support users.

Did look at the XW 600 80 (or is it 80 600 ...?), and it would almost have simplified a recent install, BUT it is an XW, and in a stand-alone install, it would have required the SCP (because this XW CC has only 2 or 3 LEDS as the front panel), AND the FW Implanter to remove probable bugs, for approx $500 +. So it was not cost competitive, and it would have been another SE experience to endure.

That is all. There will always be new customers to replace customers burned by the SE experience.
    I will acknowledge, that at this time, the XW Inverter line ( 6048 ), IS probably the best off grid solution for those of us currently using the SW/SW+ 5548. I DO dread the day when one of my 5548s blows up. Because I may feel forced to replace it/them with an XW.
    Just another happy SE customer. Thanks! Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • garlmike
    garlmike Registered Users Posts: 14
    Greetings all!

There seem to be many questions and even a few misconceptions about the XW MPPT 80 600 high-voltage solar charge controller. Examples include price, design relationship to grid-tie inverters, array sizing, etc.
    Please feel to post your questions here, and I'll try to provide prompt and useful responses.
    Regards to all,

Jim Goodnight
    Schneider Electric

OK I got a XW80600 in June 2012 and just today (-10 C) it stopped working, its been running for less than 5 months. The SCP does not show it, and the red led is blinking. When I depower it and repower it the other 2 XW60150 controllers show a F71 faults (battery over current). I have only 3 XW SCC's and one XW6048. No other errors or faults the SCP shows no faults. The panels where covered with snow in case u think its ov.
    The system was running more or less fine, its min operating temperature of -20 C .
    Any one else have this problem?
  • MGar
    MGar Registered Users Posts: 14 ✭✭

Not to worry SE replaced it totally free of charge, and new one has been fault free.
    Somehow my username is gone!
    This was the only problem I had, since 2012 with the XW line now Conext.
  • Dave Angelini

Yours was the first -80-600V I heard of that did this. Did they say what the failure cause was? I still have a beta unit that is running fine along a dozen or more of the 600v XW chargers. The guy Cruzer that you responded to no longer works at Schneider BTW. Keep the Canadian whiskey flowing south, please !
    MGar wrote: »
    Not to worry SE replaced it totally free of charge, and new one has been fault free.
    Somehow my username is gone!
    This was the only problem I had, since 2012 with the XW line now Conext.