Solar Winter Output Assessment: Measuring Snow-related Losses

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
body-wrap-up-solar-winter-output-assessment.jpg Historically, PV modules installed in snowy climates have been part of small, off-grid arrays mounted at very steep tilt angles. This is done both to shed snow quickly and to maximise winter output. Unfortunately, this concedes too much annual energy to be a good design strategy for larger contemporary systems.

More...

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Winter Output Assessment: Measuring Snow-related Losses

Winter Solar Output Assessment: Measuring Snow-related Gains.

People who live in climates where it snows by now should know to tilt the panels in Winter so that snow does not accumulate on the panels. Once that is done, the cold temperatures and reflection off snow will help power production considerably.

I think I'll start writing my own articles. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Winter Output Assessment: Measuring Snow-related Losses

Well said Coot! Where I live, I quickly learned that vertical was best in Winter. What is lost at noon time because of vertical tilt, is far more than made up for both by the reflected energy off the snow, and the best angle for sunrise and sunset, both right on the horizon. Within 10 to 15 minutes of sunrise, I'm getting major power production and again, the reflected light off the snow is a huge contributor. Then come Spring, I tilt them back up for peek Summer production.
    Before I learned to tilt them vertical for Winter, it was a constant battle trying to get production going. It's no fun wading out in deep, fresh fallen snow and using a long handled broom to pull snow off the panels and down on your head! Now they're completely care free all Winter long. Gotta love it! :D
    Even the slightest upward tilt would collect snow and cut production drastically until they finally melted off. And if there was no sun, they stayed covered with snow and all the production from ambient light was lost too.