Kyocera KD135 & KD140

TheBackRoads
TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
Hey All,

I did some searching but didn't see any threads, so sorry if this has been covered. I have 3 KD135-LP panels in series to a MPPT CC and am interested in buying some more. Now the 135's seem to be getting phased out for the 140's. Now y'all have taught me to stay within the 5% range for mixing panels, can I add 1 or 2 to my string of 3 or should I just stick with 3 in series and add another 3 in another string? Ideally I'd like to end up with 2 strings of 4 or 5 each. I'm within 5% as far as I can tell however I'd like your expert opinions.

TBR

140's below

Max Rated Power (Pmax)
140 Watts

Voltage at Max Power (Vmpp)

Current at Max Power (Impp)
7.91 Amps

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)

Short Circuit Current (Isc)
8.68 Amps

Length x Width x Depth (inches)
59.06 x 26.3 x 1.8

I believe the below is correct.

Max Rated Power (Pmax)
135 Watts

Voltage at Max Power (Vmpp)

Current at Max Power (Impp)
7.63 Amps

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)

Short Circuit Current (Isc)
8.37 Amps

Length x Width x Depth (inches)
59.1 x 26.3 x 1.8

http://www.kyocerasolar.com/assets/001/5342.pdf

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Kyocera KD135 & KD140

Parallel up a string of the 140's and get yourself another 25 Amps of charging power! :D

Adding them in series to the 135's is less-than perfect due to the slight Imp difference and the fact you'd be moving your array Voltage even further away from the system Voltage.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

to be sure you understand what coot is saying here, the voltage on the 140w pvs are identical to the voltages on the 135w pvs. this means that 3 pvs in series with the 140w pvs will have the exact same total string voltage as the string of 3 135w pvs. being this new string would be paralleled to the old string of 3 pvs the currents for all strings will just add up with no conflicts.
  • TheBackRoads

how about adding 1 or 2 to my existing string of 3? OK as well?
  • Cariboocoot
    how about adding 1 or 2 to my existing string of 3? OK as well?

That's the less-than-perfect solution as there is a difference in Imp between the two and the string Imp will then be brought down to the lower number. In essence, your 140 Watt panels would lose 5 Watts each.

Also, as your array Voltage moves higher from the system Voltage the controller's conversion efficiency goes down.

The additional parallel string of three is the best solution.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

Ya know, I wish Kyocera would STOP doing that! I bought four 130W panels, then they were discontinued. So I bought two 135W panels, now they are going away. Now they offer 140W. Makes it tough for us smaller players. I can't afford to buy a roof full in a single purchase.

I do appreciate them offering larger wattage panels for no more than the previous model, but it's a challenge when the wattage, and physical dimensions, keep changing.
  • Jim45D
    Jim45D Solar Expert Posts: 102 ✭✭

I agree with you 100%. My last purchase was a Kyocera 87 Watt panel. The dealer assured me that they had plenty in stock, as I could only afford one each month. Sure enough, when I was ready to place the next order.......I was told that if I wanted another 87 that I would have to purchase a pallet of 20 panels. They said that's the way Kyocera ships them. Well, NO S...!! Now I'm just waiting until our sponsor get's in the supply of KC 140's, without MC4 connectors. I prefer the hard wired junction box. However, that was the dealers gig, not Kyocera's.
  • Dill
    Dill Solar Expert Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm in the same boat. I was going to order a 135 last night (NAWS had them a week or two ago) and now they're not on their website. blah
  • Cariboocoot

Kyocera is not alone in this. I have four Sharp 175 Watt panels. Thought I'd be able to add some more later. Sharp has stopped making <200 Watt panels. Gets a bit tricky finding panels with close enough specs to add on to the existing.

I think I'm going to start advising people to max out their charge controller to begin with, and if you need more panels later add another controller at the same time. Silly, but guaranteed to work without a lot of Vmp/Imp mismatching.
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Kyocera is not alone in this. I have four Sharp 175 Watt panels. Thought I'd be able to add some more later. Sharp has stopped making <200 Watt panels. Gets a bit tricky finding panels with close enough specs to add on to the existing.

I think I'm going to start advising people to max out their charge controller to begin with, and if you need more panels later add another controller at the same time. Silly, but guaranteed to work without a lot of Vmp/Imp mismatching.

The 15W panels at the far end will likely end up on my shed. The Kyocera 130W (x4) and 135W (x2), and however many 140W panels (and larger, LOL) I end up with, will start being put on the roof at the new house in a couple of weeks. At least the sizes aren't greatly different in size, and won't be seen from the street. I'm not OCD, so I can live with this.

dscn6176.jpg

Three charge controllers and counting...

dscn7173.jpg
  • TheBackRoads

Yeah, if I have to degrade my 3 panels 15W or so then so be it. I don't plan on always having a 12V setup.... Thanks for all the input!
  • TheBackRoads

Well guys, found 2 more 135's at the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair last weekend. Have a total of 5 in a string now. If you look at the labels they are like 139W modules so its like buying a 140. The tent I was at had some Kyocera reps there and they were saying the company found a way to ever slightly etch the back of the glass and that enhanced the output vs clear glass (or whatever it is if its not glass) So kinda cool. If anyone's looking for some 135's PM me I'll get you the company's info.

DSC03533_800x449.jpg
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

thebackroads,
    now i can't tell too well by pics and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but i am concerned of the possibility of a coating of the glass occurring due to the soffit/fascia as well as the roofing materials migrating. i too have pvs below an overhang and i found the powdered white coating on the aluminum does migrate, most likely with the help of rain, and some landed on one of my pvs. this without a doubt did inhibit my output some.

also watch that the windows don't shade the pvs when opened.
  • TheBackRoads

niel,

I appreciate you looking out for me. The panels are clean, I regularly clean them from the window or latter with water and dry with a towel so no gunk build up that I've seen. And the windows are never opened so no fear there. It luckily is facing exactly south so lots of sun except for early early morning and shading starts around 6 or so these days from the sun going behind my house.
  • dhsola
    dhsola Solar Expert Posts: 38

You know what works well in between soap/water cleanings, if you get a lot of dust on your panels like we do, is one of those dust mops they sell for your car. If you don't have direct access, you could attach the mop handle to one of those aluminum poles like the cement guys and the pool guys use. (Unfortunately, the dust mop doesn't remove baked-on bird droppings ;)).