Tristar controler with Trimetric 2020 monitor wiring

jhilley
jhilley Registered Users Posts: 2
I am installing 3 135 watt Kyocera panels on a motor home. I have a Trimetric 2020 battery monitor. Do I wire the negative output of the Tristar 45 controller to the battery side or the load side of the shunt?

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Tristar controler with Trimetric 2020 monitor wiring

Hi jh,

Welcome to the Forum,

According to the manual in the link below (at the very end of the manual), it states that the Charge Controller should NOT be connected to the battery side of the Shunt, but rather on the other side -- the Load terminal:
    http://www.bogartengineering.com/sites/default/files/docs/TM-2020Instruc-October2005.pdf

Good luck with the installation, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    Re: Tristar controler with Trimetric 2020 monitor wiring

When you connect the negative wires to the shunt, you have the "battery side" and the "everything else side".

The Trimetric 2020 uses the shunt to measure current in and out of the battery. Some monitoring systems have multiple shunts, each for measuring current to or from other components. If you wanted to use a seperate shunt to measure all incomming PV energy, the shunt would have the "Charge Controller side" and the "everything else side".

Only the battery shunt is used to determine SOC%.

-Alex