Need recommendations - hand pump inside house, deep well

techntrek
techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
Maybe it isn't possible due to the physics - the shallow pumps won't go over roughly 20 feet due static level to pump, due to atmospheric air pressure. My static water level is 62 feet (the well itself is 425 feet) so I seem to be just beyond all of the shallow pump options, even the ones that mount directly over the well head. So should I assume my only option is a deep well hand pump mounted outside?
4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Need recommendations - hand pump inside house, deep well

Yup; you're pretty much out of luck.
    Above ground pumps work by changing the pressure ratio between the well and the outlet line, and they're limited to about 32 feet of lift. They can be tricked into working better than that by means of the intake jet, but that's not an available option on a hand pump.
    The deep well hand pumps have two (or more) stages, and actually lift from one stage to the next. But it all has to be in-line because it turns the casing into one long pump housing.

If there are any exceptions to these principals I've never seen or heard of them. That doesn't mean they don't exist, though. :D
  • techntrek

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid that - one more thing to disassemble and pull out of the well when the electric pump goes bad. Plus it would be nice to pump from inside when its cold/wet outside. Oh well, (pun intended) I'll have to budget for a deep well pump I guess.

Any brand recommendations? Bison has some nice looking pumps, but they are pricey, too. Also I"m not sure if it can backfeed the existing plumbing like some pumps can.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

try looking for Franklin motors/pumps. My Franklin motor has been flawless for > 15 years, on a Goulds pump

.http://www.franklin-electric.com/residential-light-commercial.aspx

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot

You're going to have to get local recommendations; I don't even live in the same country. :cool:
  • techntrek

Its all one big community online, a good hand pump for you is a good hand pump for me.
  • Cariboocoot
    techntrek wrote: »
    Its all one big community online, a good hand pump for you is a good hand pump for me.

Yes, but what you can get there is not necessarily what I can get here. What can I get here? Whatever it is it will cost more 'cause this is Canada! :p
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

Tech,
    Before you start buying hardware you need to determine your well productivity.
    If it is a high productivity well you could use a standard Franklin motor 1/2 Hp submerged, 10 gpm pump.
    With all your inverter and 22 KwHr bat you could run it directly.
    It will pump from about 125 Ft and still give about 30 psi at the top of the well.

If it is a low productivity well you will have to pump from the bottom of the well to get any capacity.
    That will take a lot more Hp and a standard pump will probably pull your system down.
    This means an expensive soft start pump.
    Or you could put in a three phase standard pump and run it with an VFD phase converter.
  • watermaestro
    watermaestro Registered Users Posts: 2
    techntrek wrote: »
    Maybe it isn't possible due to the physics - the shallow pumps won't go over roughly 20 feet due static level to pump, due to atmospheric air pressure. My static water level is 62 feet (the well itself is 425 feet) so I seem to be just beyond all of the shallow pump options, even the ones that mount directly over the well head. So should I assume my only option is a deep well hand pump mounted outside?

Hi I am new here so...it may look a little self-serving because FloJak.com is my company, but we have a great lower cost solution for pumping water up to 150 feet. Its a pressure pumper so you can pump directly into your home through hard plumbing or through an outdoor faucet...by hand or using a windmill. We are working on solar. In the AZ climate I would definitely recommend the FP, or stainless-steel version. A complete system for your static is only $600 delivered to your door step. Thats about 1/3 of the other systems. We are a totally US made product too. Thanks and Im sorry for the commercial! Corky (flojak.com)
  • Cariboocoot

Before anybody complains, Corky is being completely upfront here about who he is and what he does and is offering a potential solution. Furthermore he doesn't link his web site, only mentions it by name. This to my mind does not constitute "advertising".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Corky. :D
  • watermaestro
    watermaestro Registered Users Posts: 2
    Before anybody complains, Corky is being completely upfront here about who he is and what he does and is offering a potential solution. Furthermore he doesn't link his web site, only mentions it by name. This to my mind does not constitute "advertising".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Corky. :D

Thanks Cariboocoot! I really don't mean to advertise although it looks pretty close. Hey, if our product can be a help then that's great. If not, that's fine too. FloJak isn't where I make my beans and rice so my motives are honest. If I can help someone with their water issues, then I'm good! Thanks again and I apologize to anyone who is offended. It sure wasn't my intent. CB
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Not a problem at all... We do like people who are experts in their fields to participate--Sometimes it can look like an Ad/Link Spam for a first time poster... but for the most part, we are looking for people from Malaysia advertising a great tanning salon in Seattle (we get more of those than one would think. :roll:).

There where no complaints (that I saw)--Marc was just trying to let folks know that he looked at your post and was fine (I have done similar before too with new posters).

Please feel free to stick around and help folks out CB.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrek
    Ken Marsh wrote: »
    Tech,
    Before you start buying hardware you need to determine your well productivity.
    If it is a high productivity well you could use a standard Franklin motor 1/2 Hp submerged, 10 gpm pump.
    <snip>

I already have a 1 hp submerged pump down at the 340 foot level. I'm looking for a manual backup, something that can be used if the main pump dies, or after I've run out of all gas and LPG (about 2 months give or take) if all heck breaks loose.
  • techntrek

Thanks, Corky, I'll take a look at your product. I'm in MD, hard freezes all winter for a well-head installation but not in the utility room where I would put an indoor solution.
  • techntrek

Just checked it out, looks like its as close as I'm going to get to what I was looking for. Especially the option to pressurize the existing water system, and leave it installed in freezing weather. I have other $ priorities right now but it is now on my "list".
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

Great Tech,
    You had me worried but I see you have things in hand.
    We have similar situations.
    But I decided to do the back up with solar.
    A standard submerged pump in a plastic cased well is very reliable, the best you can get.
    If it is a steel well they last on the average 16 years.

One of my prior lives was maintaining windmills es pump jack type wells.
    On the average we would have to re-leather them on a yearly basis.