Need help with battery choice and size and help wiring my windmill.

jeffreydoctor
jeffreydoctor Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a 30' travel trailer with a/c and some fans and lights and I am wondering how much power will I need to power this thing? The a/c is 1500 watts and the fans are 200 and the lights are 20. I have a windmill that is 1600 watts and now I need to get batteries and hook everything up. I know very little about electricity so any help would be great. The trailer has ac and dc power.

Thank you

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Need help with battery choice and size and help wiring my windmill.

Welcome to the form Jefferydoctor! To be honest, after reading your post, my first thought was "Woah There Horsey!"
    I STRONGLY recommend that you do a whole bunch of studying before you proceed with this project. The loads you are suggesting are HUGE by any stretch of the imagination, when it comes to such a power system. Unless your travel trailer is parked on a mountain top in a hurricane, there's no way you'll be able to run the loads you list.
    If that 1500 watt AC and 200 watt fans must be in the mix, then you should be looking at a good, high quality generator. Otherwise, some solar panels to run a few small lights and perhaps a small, low power fan. Just trying to bring you to the reality of the situation.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

Look closely at the specs for that windmill. I am sure that it says someplace that the absolute max power is 1600 watts. In real life you will be lucky to get more than around 200 to 300 watts average.

You will never be able to run the A/C from batteries. 1500 watts @12 volts is roughly 120 amps, so a pair of the large golf car sized batteries would last about 20-30 minutes.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Not to mention,, fi you have enough wind to be really useful, (+15-20mpg) you really don't want to be hanging out in a travel trailer. Most people don't realize how much wind is enough to be useful. If it is uncomfortable to be outside, then you may have enough.

Tony