Temporary solar hot water setup...

Options
2»

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Temporary solar hot water setup...

techntrek have you considered a circulation loop for the DHW?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
    Options

Very good that you fixed the leak. I try to have a backup plan or two for most things since I live in hurricane prone FL. In 2004, our area was without power for 18 days. Here are some of the hot water options I have on tap (yea, bad pun).

Option A:

Attachment not found.

25' travel trailer we keep parked next to the house. Has an onboard water tank, and a 6 gallon water heater. In our warm climate, that's about a 10 minute hot shower with a fairly quick recycle time. The water heater can use either of the onboard propane tank, but also has an optional 120VAC heating element.

Plan B:

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

I've also used the side burner on my BBQ grill to heat water for showering. Water temp started at 67 degrees, I stopped at 116 degrees. Turns out I needed to add some cool water, this was a bit too hot for comfort.

To spray the water, I used an Outback Porta-Shower. Drop the pump into the water tank, turn on the switch.

Attachment not found.

During the Summer, a clear plastic jug sitting in the sun is plenty hot enough by the afternoon to use for showering. I've done this many times when camping on a friend's 30 acre lot in the boonies. At home, I'll put a 5 gallon bucket in the sun. I have the Home Depot $3 buckets (orange). I think the color helps warm them up a bit quicker.

The sun is so intense here during the Summer, I'd be concerned about using a solar shower bag as the water would be very hot if left out for long.

I don't have a Zodi shower, but that's another good option I've read positive reviews on.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    westbranch wrote: »
    techntrek have you considered a circulation loop for the DHW?

Sounds energy inefficient - heat loss along the length of the line to and from even if insulated, plus the circulation pump, even if it is thermostat triggered. A small local water heater would keep the energy contained in one spot and I can put a timer on it like my big heater.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    techntrek wrote: »
    Sounds energy inefficient - heat loss along the length of the line to and from even if insulated, plus the circulation pump, even if it is thermostat triggered. A small local water heater would keep the energy contained in one spot and I can put a timer on it like my big heater.

depends if you are on hydro or gas for DHW and house heat, if gas the 'lost' heat just adds to what BTUs come out of the furnace. Not really a loss, kind of like an incandescent light bulb. Unless you are on PV

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada