White PV Wire

Options
solarix
solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭
Does anybody know of a source for double-insulated PV wire (UL4703) with a white jacket?
Code allows white tape of course, but the customer is forcing me to color code the array wiring.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: White PV Wire

I wonder if white would take away the UV protection... The few I could find all listed black as the only color.

If this is for a large installation--You might try contacting a wire mfg. and see if they can do a custom run for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

double insulated with a white jacket sounds like romex style wiring. individual wires usually do not require 2 layers of insulation so what is it that the customer has in mind with this requirement?
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

I don't think there is any white jacketed wire that is approved for solar installations, due to the lack of UV/sunlight and weather resistance in most such insulations. That is why Romex and similar type wire is not approved for outdoor or direct burial, but the wire that we sell is.

And I do not recommend tape either, as it is almost guaranteed to lose it's adhesion and fall off or unravel within a few short years. The vinyl or heatshrink type are usually UL/NEC approved.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Windsun wrote: »
    I don't think there is any white jacketed wire that is approved for solar installations, due to the lack of UV/sunlight and weather resistance in most such insulations. That is why Romex and similar type wire is not approved for outdoor or direct burial, but the wire that we sell is.

And I do not recommend tape either, as it is almost guaranteed to lose it's adhesion and fall off or unravel within a few short years. The vinyl or heatshrink type are usually UL/NEC approved.

good points.(filler for min)