inverter gfci trips

Options
lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
suddendly my gfci outlet built into the inverter tripped, and it won't stop tripping even with nothing plugged into it. moisture? it is humid today and it is in the basement.. but it has been fine there for a coupe years.. I don't have any ground hooked up..

ideas? the outlet itself bad? user serviceable? cotek 1500w pure sine, 12v input 120v AC out.

I did have a surge protector on there but always have with no prob. there were no large loads when this happened just about 20-30 watts ac being used. powered off the inverter and pushed the button back in, after starting up inverter it trips after about a second.. nothing plugged in.

so frustrating just when the wife got excited about drying clothes on solar..:cry:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options
    Re: inverter gfci trips

Usually, just purchase a new GFI outlet from the hardware store and replace. They do fail.

If you have a power strip with filters/surge suppressors, it is possible for them to leak or fail and trip a GFI.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lamplight
    Options

thanks will try.
  • lamplight
    Options

I found the exact same one and replaced, and that did the trick thanks! i did find that the NEG terminal on the AC outlet wasnt that tight.. perhaps loosened with time or something... i tried tightening and hooking back up with no luck. put the new one in and the gfci tripped when i applied power but... it stayed in when i pushed it back in. phew.. thanks again!

BB. wrote: »
    Usually, just purchase a new GFI outlet from the hardware store and replace. They do fail.

If you have a power strip with filters/surge suppressors, it is possible for them to leak or fail and trip a GFI.

-Bill
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options

I was going to get the Samlex PST-150-24 1500w model.. but that has 3 outlets with GFI on the circuit board and not the outlets.. I'm going to go with the SA-1500-24 version for about the same $$ and it has the GFI outlet on the outside (like yours).. just in case I have the same issue crop up ever for me..
  • lamplight
    Options

i didn't know what to expect when i opened it up, but it was a small circuit board with posts that fit into the standard gfci outlet openings... not too hard to change even with a my steady coffee drinker hands ;)

back in business! :)
  • ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Options
    lamplight wrote: »
    i didn't know what to expect when i opened it up, but it was a small circuit board with posts that fit into the standard gfci outlet openings... not too hard to change even with a my steady coffee drinker hands ;)

back in business! :)

Got a pic of this (or can you snap one) for us??
  • lamplight
    Options

hi
    sorry everything is put back together and remounted.. but I can paint you a picture..it's just a small roughly 2" square board with some posts coming out of it the same size as typical household AC wiring..the posts are aligned and fit perfectly into the back of a standard gfci outlet I bought from the local hardware store... plug t into the back, tighten the outlets screws the same as if it was a AC household wire.. a couple other ground cables to connect.. . very simple and everything was labelled and easy to copy/reassemble and I don't know a ton about electricity. :blush: