12v LED Track Lighting

Options
nasty
nasty Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
Can 12v LED lights be used in track or cable kits with power from batteries in 12v configuration? Do you simply do away with the transformer since power source is already 12v? Can any light fixture with the same base be used with 12v supply and 12v bulb?

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: 12v LED Track Lighting

Maybe, maybe not. I've done that, but find that full brightness only occurs when system voltage is @ 14 or higher. As the voltage drops at night (when you need the light) the ones I've tried, dim down, until at 12.5 volts, the light output is almost useless except for finding the light fixture in the dark.
    Thus I suspect you'll find different results from different models.
  • nasty
    nasty Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options

Wayne do you know the different models of bulbs you tried? Did you eliminate the transformer and wire directly to DC breaker or fuse panel?
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, I don't remember the makes/brands I tried, but yes, I did eliminate the transformer, because I ran them directly off 12 VDC. If I had kept the xformer and ran them off the inverter, there wouldn't have been a problem, because the Morningstar TS-300 has very well regulated output, regardless of battery voltage swings. But my desire was to have them for lightening that didn't require an inverter. I've given up that idea years ago though, because the TS-300 is so reliable and it's running 24/7 anyway, for other needs.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options

I run a bunch of 4W and 5W 12V MR16 LED bulbs in my off-grid camp. I picked up a bunch of MR-16 sockets and use 12V automotive switches to control the lights. I find that they are very bright and make great reading lights. I have not experienced any dimming as the night progresses.

At my first attempt at using them, I tried 18AWG speaker wire to hook them up. If more than one was on, they would start to flicker. I switched the wiring over to 14/2 and the flickering went away.