Midnight solar lightning arrestors - Vertical Downwards Installation

peakbagger
peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
I have one of the new midnight solar arrestors that will be going on my pole mouted PV array to replace a Delta. I have traditionally mounted Delta arrestors in the vertical downwards facing position so in case it pops , the shrapnell goes to the floor. I never thought of it much with the Deltas, but am curious with the midnight solar arrestor as its full of electronic parts. A quick look where the wires come out of the case in the threaded coupling doesnt reveal a particulary watertight assembly, but it may be down in the guts of the unit.

As this is new product, I dont expect a lot of long term experience out there but has anyone found any issues with water getting into the electronics from mounting it facing down?

I am mounting this on the bottom of square D outdoor rated disconnect. I expect I dont get rain in there but wouldnt be surprised if condensation doesnt work its way inside on occasion.

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Midnight solar lightning arrestors - Vertical Downwards Installation

Will be interesting to hear any input on these units, as I've ordered two from our host, to protect the outputs of my inverters. They are now winding their way up across the continent like the proverbial drunken sailor, in a rather erratic but generally North Easterly direction. :-)
  • peakbagger

Note, I looked into the device and there is a recessed rubber piece around the wires. I am not sure if its poured in or if its some sort compression bushing. There are some very beefy looking components inside the dome but they do a look a bit like they were assembled without a lot of regards to uniformity
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The folks at MidNite are really good about answering questions. Why not ask them? You won't get a better answer than straight from the source. :D
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Believe that these are intended to be mounted through a knock out in a NEMA 3R class enclosure if exposed to the elements. Would doubt that there will be any schrapnel at all. In the normal installation, it is common pactice to feed these protectors (SPDs) with a circuit breaker.

And, yes, what coot says:
    http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?board=13.0

The link is to the SPD (Lightning Protector) topic on their Forum. MN folks DO look post here as well, but the MN Fourm will prob give you faster response. Use the home button for all topics in the Forum. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    The folks at MidNite are really good about answering questions. Why not ask them? You won't get a better answer than straight from the source. :D
    Second that. I called and left a VM message this morning for Ryan, their tech sales mgr, and he returned my call in about 5 minutes. If I'd thought of it I'd have asked him your question, too. :D
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

The SPD has a rubber water proof compression plug driven in around the wires. It is intended to be water proof from all directions. I would say your intended mounting is fine.

The SPD's use Internally fused MOV's so they do not require external over current protection. People do use a 2 pole breaker in there AC mains panel as it is the easiest way to terminate the SPD wiring.

Ryan
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    peakbagger wrote: »
    Note, I looked into the device and there is a recessed rubber piece around the wires. I am not sure if its poured in or if its some sort compression bushing. There are some very beefy looking components inside the dome but they do a look a bit like they were assembled without a lot of regards to uniformity

Yes, the non-uniformity is because the MOVs are a too beefy to be uniformly stuffed into that PCB and still be able to have the top put on.

i.e. it would be too fat so the MOVs have to be staggered a bit.

boB
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    halfcrazy wrote: »
    The SPD has a rubber water proof compression plug driven in around the wires. It is intended to be water proof from all directions. I would say your intended mounting is fine.

The SPD's use Internally fused MOV's so they do not require external over current protection. People do use a 2 pole breaker in there AC mains panel as it is the easiest way to terminate the SPD wiring.

Ryan

Thank you Ryan (halfcrazy) We VERY much appreciate you're detailed answer.
  • peakbagger

I do realize I could have gone direct but thought it was worthy question to ask so that future folks would be able to search for it. My reference about shrapnell was directed towards Deltas not the Midnight Solar stuff. Unfortunately I am doing a retrofit on an existing install and the Midnight Solar devices are a bigger radius so I have to use a offset to connect it up to the box.

By the way, when I worked in the paperindustry, I would have been harrassed by my instrument folks on mounting anything facing downwards as no matter what we used to seal stuff, the environment inevitably won out. I run into the same issue when testing cooling towers on occasion.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

PB, if you have to use an offset why not just use a 90degree elbow? ( and point them forward?)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada