Another Newbie trying to build his own system.....

Options

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Another Newbie trying to build his own system.....

For emergency power purposes you can actually cheat a bit on the freezer as they will stay frozen cold for days without power providing no one opens them. Been there, done that, moved the power 'round from 'frige to freezer to water pump and back to keep everything going off a 1600 Watt generator.

Amazing things, generators. Really good investment for emergency stand-by power.
    With or without batteries & inverter.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast Solar Expert Posts: 44
    Options

Rotating appliances is something I've figured in as a contingency if needed. Also figured on packing the freezer and minimizing it's use if required. :)

Batteries.. Right now I've the four 12V 125Ah that were going to be run in 2 parrallel strings. I gather this gets me 250Ah@24V=6KW.

I replace them with four 6V 250Ah in series this gets me 250Ah@24V=6KW.

From what I'm getting, my benefit is in equal draw on the batteries and slightly better efficiency due to less connection points.

Add a second series of four 6V 250Ah batteries. Now I'm running 500Ah@24V=12KW?

Coot, looking at your tag line I'm guessing your running a 48(or 60)V system?

BB (Bill?), If nessissary ( I hate that word!) I could ditch the freezer to get consumption down even more. Nice to know my target was right around what some consider power requirements for a (mostly) normal life...:)

If power goes down in this area for any prolonged amount of time, things will be far from normal. I'd be grateful for a fridge, a little light and a radio...:)

Off Grid System; 2175W array; 370ah @ 48v (8 L16 Scrubbers in series); XW MPPT60-150 CC; OutBack VFX3648, FlexNet and Mate

• Cariboocoot
    Options

Actually my system Voltage is 24: Outback VFX3524
    But the array runs at a nominal 48 Volts (Vmp of 70 by the panels).
    MPPT charge controllers give a lot of flexibility. :)
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hamfast wrote: »
    Batteries.. Right now I've the four 12V 125Ah that were going to be run in 2 parrallel strings. I gather this gets me 250Ah@24V=6KW.
    I replace them with four 6V 250Ah in series this gets me 250Ah@24V=6KW.

Those battery capacities should be in kilowattHOURS, not kilowatts. And remember, you don't want to use more than half your capacity ever. For regular daily cycling you should use even less.
    From what I'm getting, my benefit is in equal draw on the batteries and slightly better efficiency due to less connection points.

Not so much equal draw, but equal charging. I don't know if fewer connection points leads to better efficiency. Fewer connection points means fewer places for things to go wrong. Fewer battery cells also means (assuming flooded cells) less maintenance. Far and away the main advantage of a single series string of batteries is the equal charging.
    Add a second series of four 6V 250Ah batteries. Now I'm running 500Ah@24V=12KW?
    that's 12 kwh. If you are going to do that, why not just put all 8 in series and build a 48 volt system? Your energy needs are large enough that a 48 volt system makes sense. If you ever want to grow your system you will be glad you started at 48 volts.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Only?!?!?!? 1000 Ah at 24 volts is pretty big!

I remember watching the delivery of a Hawker 1000Ah 48V battery to the first solar job I worked on. It was huge, about 3 feet on a side and weighed thousands of pounds. 48 kWh of capacity, that's about 5 bucks worth of electricity at grid prices. But wait, you can only discharge the battery 50%, so that brings it down to $2.50. Then you have to consider storage/retrieval and conversion efficiencies and losses in wiring. By the time it's all said and done it's good for about a buck fifty.

Lead acid may be the best we have, but it's not that great.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks Mr Maps.. :) My crib sheet is growing, but my head still spins and my eyes glaze..:)

I did want to go with 48V as stated at the beginning of the thread, but up front costs ( at least as I percieved them at the time ) dictated 24V. Based on what I've learned from all of you here I'll be exchanging my MSW 3500W inverter for a smaller SW 1800W one. The Prosine mentioned a few posts back has an idle mode at 1.5W though I figured 22W in my calcs.

I will be exchanging the batteries ( I'm hoping). Looking for something in the 300-350Ah range. While growing the system was something I'd thought about that would entail mission-creep on my part..:)

I am encouraged that Coot runs at a 24V system that provides what he NEEDS, and this is what, at the root of it, I want to build. Of course, if I DO win the lottery, 48 or 60V (?) it is..:)

This is turning out to be quite an adventure, and we haven't hit sizing the array yet..:)

Off Grid System; 2175W array; 370ah @ 48v (8 L16 Scrubbers in series); XW MPPT60-150 CC; OutBack VFX3648, FlexNet and Mate

• Hamfast
    Options

http://www.solar-electric.com/mnbcm.html

Do any of you know anything about this particular battery meter?

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    http://www.solar-electric.com/mnbcm.html

Do any of you know anything about this particular battery meter?

Yes. Perfectly good as long as you don't expect it to be an actual battery monitor. It's a kind of "smart Volt meter". As such its accuracy is in between an ordinary Voltmeter and a battery monitor. So is its price. It's better than the first but not as good as the latter. For instance it will warn you if the batteries haven't seen full Absorb Voltage for awhile (which a Voltmeter won't) but it doesn't actually count electrons going in and out.

MidNite makes good equipment. They stand behind it, and their customer service is top notch.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Sounds like they're willing to exchage batteries for me, but still waiting to talk with the manager. Found these....

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product_search/23925-6--Volt-Ultra-Pro-Series-Deep-Cycle-Battery-DASH--DASH-SLI6V370S.aspx

I've noticed that there seems to be a preference here for water filled batteries (nomenclature escapes me) vs AGM, which is my current preference. Pros/Cons?

Or is it all about pricing? :)

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

I am cheap. It's all about price.

AGM is about the perfect lead acid battery, but the high high cost and the risk of killing a bank if the user messes up make it an expensive risk for first time users.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Flooded Lead Acid as opposed to Absorb Glass Mat

Each has its benefits, but the FLA's are less expensive per Watt hour equivalent and more tolerant of "mistakes". And you can check the specific gravity, so you can avoid some of those mistakes.

AGM's are spill-proof, better able to handle higher current, don't off-gas when charging, considered non-hazardous for shipment. Good choice if they have to be in an enclosed living space that can't be vented (like a travel trailer for instance).
  • vtmaps
    Options
    I've noticed that there seems to be a preference here for water filled batteries (nomenclature escapes me) vs AGM, which is my current preference. Pros/Cons?

Or is it all about pricing?

Nomenclature is 'flooded'.

All things being equal, it is always about pricing. But all things are not equal.

AGMs are better for some applications. For example if they are going to spend most of their lives in float mode with minimal cycling (backup applications). AGMs are better if venting is an issue. They can support larger peak loads.

Flooded are cheaper, more forgiving of mistakes, and last longer when being cycled regularly.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

actually it is flooded lead acid or fla. from what i've heard of some fla batteries you may be better off with agm. without reviewing the entire thread to refresh myself on it, it just depends on what fla you consider and how much it'll cost. going with cheap golf cart type batteries is a good option especially for a new setup as mistakes can then be less costly. now going with some premium fla batteries with their costs and reported problems i think i'd take an agm over them.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Can I "Like" this post? :)

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can I "Like" this post? :)

sure if you mean the thread. look above to see rate this thread. for a single post within the thread there's no ratings.
  • Hamfast
    Options

I was trying to "like" the comment by Gunn a few posts back....
    I remember watching the delivery of a Hawker 1000Ah 48V battery to the first solar job I worked on. It was huge, about 3 feet on a side and weighed thousands of pounds. 48 kWh of capacity, that's about 5 bucks worth of electricity at grid prices. But wait, you can only discharge the battery 50%, so that brings it down to $2.50. Then you have to consider storage/retrieval and conversion efficiencies and losses in wiring. By the time it's all said and done it's good for about a buck fifty.

Didn't work..:)

• Hamfast
    Options

Been shopping for the last couple of hours. I keep coming back here http://www.solar-electric.com/vfx3524.html.

Does this little guy monitor the battery bank as well? http://www.altestore.com/store/Inverters/Inverter-Accessories/Remote-Controls/Outback-Mate-Remote-Monitor-And-Control/p857/

I like that it has an "idle" mode, and while I don't anticipate high sustained loads, it looks like it may do well with occasional power tool use.

• Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

If you're far enough along in planning to be pricing things like inverters, I think you should be looking at batteries first and checking all your local distributors for the best price since almost everything else you do will follow from this. I found very large price differences between the five or six battery distributors I visited, and at one place, large ($20/battery) differences depending upon who I spoke with!

It would be very surprising to me if 8 FLA golf-cart batteries (220 ah @ 48 volts) were significantly more money than the 4 360 ah AGMs that you are interested in. The eight golf cart batteries could well be less (they are about the same price in my area). That would get you to the 48 volt bank you want and have more watt-hour capacity, with an arguably more forgiving battery design. But of course you do not want to be shopping for inverters until you're certain you've found the best battery solution for your needs. (Don't buy the batteries until last though, but get price quotes now, if you're ready to go).

Don't rush any stage of this; as you've already seen it's very easy to make potentially expensive mistakes. I planned my current system (my third) for well over a year before I purchased any equipment, and I still didn't get it exactly right.
  • vtmaps
    Options

No. It is not a battery monitor. However it is necessary if you have a vfx3524. Several folks have been irritated when they bought a vfx3524 and found that it has no controls... you need a mate to control the vfx3524. The reason for this is that the vfx3524 can be stacked. If you have several of them you only need one mate. It would be irritating to buy four vfx3524 and find that you paid for four built-in mates.

Outback does make a good battery monitor, it is the flexnetDC.

--vtMaps
  • Hamfast
    Options

If two 24V (nom) panels are in series, will the CC think they're 48V (nom) panels? If this is the case, then my CC can power a 48V battery bank.

• Hamfast
    Options

Thanks Eric. I'm in the process of recovering from a headlong rush into the unknown here. :)

I read another thread here where the person in question wanted to run four 12v panels in series to power a 48V battery bank, so I'm thinking that I can do the same with the 24V panels I've already purchased.

Regarding the lottery, the next best thing happened yesterday. She goes back to work tomorrow at about the same pay as her previous job. Big weight off of our shoulders..:):)

I'm in a position where I can now build this....

OB VFX3648 3600 Watts, 48 VDC Inverter/Charger
    Xantrex XW-SCC 60 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller (Already have)
    Eight 370Ah 6V batteries in series / .370 x 48V = 17.76KWHs
    Eight 180W 24V panels in 4 strings of 2 each. (Already have 3)

The panels calced out this way....... 37(10%)x48V=1776/.77(derating)1368W array.
    Eight 180 W panels yeild a 1440 Watt array.

The derating I used was on a 1000Ah hypothetical system Coot provided here as an example of how the calcs work. Is this a constant? Or does the derating change based on Ah capacity, longitude, seasonal sunlight factors per zone, etc. ?

• Eric L
    Options

Hamfast, I think the basic set up would work but in my (non-expert) opinion you'd have too much battery for the panel. The 370 ah batteries (which are likely L16s?) will want around 37 charging amps, after loads and losses. At a charging voltage of 55 volts, the 1440 watt array will only produce about 26 amps (1440/55 volts charging). That's before loads/losses. This is using a 10% charging rate at the 20 hour amp-hour rating. The usual recommendations suggested here are between 5 and 13%, so you could in principle do it and be on the low-end, but I personally don't think it's a good idea since after you could in loads, losses, etc, you might easily undercharge your batteries.

If you went with 8 T-105 type golf cart batteries instead, you'd only need about 22 charging amps at 55 volts charging = about 1200 watts of panel. A better match, IMO.

I think 2 180 panels in series would likely work, although no one can say without knowing the exact specifications. There may be other configurations which that MPPT controller would allow you as well. Scheider-Xantrex as a string configurator if you click on 'sizing tools' here:

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/products-services/renewable-energies/products-offer/range-presentation.page?c_filepath=/templatedata/Offer_Presentation/3_Range_Datasheet/data/en/shared/renewable_energies/xantrex_xw.xml
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks Eric. I've been on that calculator while on the phone with a tech from Conergy. From an earlier post on this thread...
    The string calculator that the Conergy tech walked me through while on the phone accounted for record low temp (-27deg) and average high temp (88deg). For my CC it allows for no more than 2 panels per string, so it looks your dead nuts with a 3 panel string toasting the CC. It does have an auto shut down feature as you'd thought. :)

Given my "terrible"( :) ) 3.79KWHs of calced daily use, Ah capacity becomes important. That 3.79 can be knocked down, and with my proposed bank capacity of 17.76 KWHs I'm at about 50% discharge @ 3 days no sun. Rotating loads can help here as well. I like the idea of having enough "cushion" in the system so I can learn how to monitor and maintain it. Once up and running school will be in session for awhile yet..:)

The Xantrex calculator you've mentioned says I can run 9 2-panel strings through this CC. The panels are Conergy P180M's. I learned from NAWS this past Thursday that Conergy no longer produces them and they are no longer carried by NAWS, though their new line of Astronergy panels' specs are within a few hundredths of the ones I have now. More adventure!! :)

I'm not opposed to more panels, just want to get the calcs correct. I'm still new to this..:)

• Eric L
    Options
    That 3.79 can be knocked down, and with my proposed bank capacity of 17.76 KWHs I'm at about 50% discharge @ 3 days no sun.

But you're on the grid, right? I'm pretty sure the Outback inverter can, with the right controller, be made to switch to grid power long before your batteries are discharged too deeply. I think you need one of the "Mate" controllers to do this; I researched it once but can't remember the details. So why not have a smaller bank and allow your system to go to grid power quickly when the battery voltage falls too low due to lack of sun? Several advantages to this:

- Smaller, cheaper battery bank needed.
    - Smaller bank is easier to charge properly with the pv array you have in mind.
    - Batteries are protected from deep discharge by the inverter flipping to grid. Consequently, you don't have to worry excessively about overloading the system and can 'tune' your loads to fit the system's capacity over time (and change it as the seasons change too).

I guess the one disadvantage if you went this way is that you have less power available for a long (2+ day) outage; not sure how worried you are about these.

Remember that if you have grid power, the most efficient use of PV is almost always grid-tie, where it's available. If grid tie isn't possible/doesn't make sense (as is did not in my case), I think the next-best thing if you still want a pv array is to try to use the grid to supplement your solar array, effectively using the grid to supplement your system when there's no sun (rather than YOU buying and maintaining a very expensive large battery bank for prolonged cloudy periods).
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks for the response , Eric. This system is being designed as a stand-alone system. :)
    I've located another method for sizing the panel array and I'm curious what our solar gurus think. The results are dramatically different.....
    Then you figure your 10% peak charge current (100 Amps - already another problem arises) and calculate the array size:
    100 * 24 = 2400 less 77% derating = 3116 Watt array. Again, time to round up to the nearest available units.

This is the formula I used to calc the array at 1440W. I am curious as to what the "100 Amps" problem is.

I found this formula here...http://www.wirefreedirect.com/solar_panel_sizing.asp
    Total Load = DC Load + AC Load =744Wh per day.

There will be energy losses to account for so add 20% to the load as this will account for the losses and emergency power use outside of the specified times.

Total Load + 20% Energy Losses = 892.8Wh per day.

2. Sizing the Solar Panel

Due to UK weather conditions and for this example, we shall use 1.5hrs of Peak Sunshine. Please note: you do need to know the weather conditions for your area as this will affect the size of the panel or array.

Required solar panel input = (892.8 Wh / 1.5h) = 595.2W. You will need solar panels that will generate 595.2 watts per hour.

This formula yields an array of 3160W, a little more than double what the array from the 1st formula. This would appear to address your charging amps requirement, Eric, based on the panels I currently have and what I proposed a couple of posts back.

The 1st method is based on battery Ah.
    The 2nd is based on daily KWH consumption divided by "Peak Sun", in this example 1.5 hrs (England). It's probable that "Peak Sun" is different here in SE Wisc.

I am curious as to the apparent deficiency in the 1st method, though. Perhaps it's linked to that "100Ah problem"... :confused:

Yes, Eric, I've been made aware that grid-tie yields a much more efficient system. For my own reasons I want it off-grid..:cool:

This whole excersise has me now focused on how much power we actually use here in the home. I'd be embarrased to disclose last months KWHs used. I've an extra gas dryer in a rental that we'll be installing here, replacing the electric one we currently use.

• ggunn
    Options
    The 1st method is based on battery Ah.
    The 2nd is based on daily KWH consumption divided by "Peak Sun", in this example 1.5 hrs (England). It's probable that "Peak Sun" is different here in SE Wisc.
    You can get a pretty good estimate of what your solar resource is here: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1961-1990/redbook/sum2/state.html
  • Hamfast
    Options

Thanks Gunn. Need to get ready for work. Need help defining the "Tilt". The panels will be fixed at about a 45deg angle. I used Milwaukee as the closest region, and I think I just average out the averages...:) Thanks again.. :)

• Hamfast
    Options

I note that the middle position is "Lat". I'm assuming this is Latitude. The Lat. of Yerkes Observatory here in the Bay is (Latitude 42 34.2, Longitude -88 33.4). Close enought to 45deg. angle? I'm thinkin' I'll use the "Lat" averages when I get home... :)

• ggunn
    Options
    I note that the middle position is "Lat". I'm assuming this is Latitude. The Lat. of Yerkes Observatory here in the Bay is (Latitude 42 34.2, Longitude -88 33.4). Close enought to 45deg. angle? I'm thinkin' I'll use the "Lat" averages when I get home... :)
    Yes, "Lat." is latitude, and I doubt you'll see a significant irradiance difference between 45 degrees and 42 1/2 degrees tilt.
  • Hamfast
    Options

Here are the numbers from the link provided here...http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1961-1990/redbook/sum2/state.html

At a fixed 45deg angle, averaging the 12 month irradiance numbers (4.81) then dividing 4733WH by 4.81 yields an array of 984W.

An average of the lowest 6 months (much better I'm thinking) yields an array of 1364W.

10% battery bank (370Ah) - 37x48V=1776W x .77 derating yields an array of 1368W.

Wow! Pretty wild how those last 2 calcs work out. I don't think that's an accident. I'd feel very good about the 1440W array as I've proposed if not for Eric's observation regarding charging amps. Four strings of these panels provides ~20.5 amps to the CC.

Do MPPT controlers compensate for under-amperage from the array?