12V Pump on 24V System?? How or options??

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
After my field trip out to West TX (which was awesome) and the the crew built my 12x24 cabin..

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I had discussed working toward running a small 5K A/C unit on here, and you folks steered me toward a 24v setup with 1000 watt worth of 24v panels, 24v 2500w/5000w inverter, and 8 6v T105's to maybe get there..

I have an issue now.. I want to run a 12v Shurflo 2088-422-444 pump to move my water inside the cabin from the holding tank just outside.. it says it draws 7amps MAX...

The only option I can see is the Shurflo Park Model 2088-492-444 which is 110v and 0.9 amp max.

Would this be BETTER than the 12v model at 7 amp max??

Since I stink at math.. would that at 110v / 0.9amp be able to run for a decent amount of time???

What do you folks use for a 24v basic pump that don't cost over $140??

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: 12V Pump on 24V System?? How or options??

I have had good luck with this brand pump, problem solved. I prefer the Variable Speed Pump, but they don't make it in 24 V. This one is 4 GPM @ 60 psi and you can adjust that back if it's to high, it has a set screw in the switch, that most do not have.

http://www.energybay.org/aquatec-550-pressure-pump-24vdc
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Well you can't run a 12 Volt pump off 24 Volts. At least not for very long.

Are you going to have 120 VAC from an inverter anyway? If so, using the AC pump is the way to go. If not you'll have the extra power consumption of the inverter when running the pump to consider.

Otherwise you could use a 24 to 12 Volt converter: http://www.solar-electric.com/12to24or24to.html Which is almost as expensive as an inverter.

In pure math terms the AC pump will use less power without the inverter factored in. At the same volume (2.3 GPM) and pressure (20 psi) you get the 12 Volt using 84 Watts and the 120 using 77 Watts. Add about 6 Watts (and $250) for a Morningstar 300 inverter and its a near wash. However, pump performance will not be exactly the same depending on lift, max GPM, and pressure. But they're close.

I'd say the choice comes down to whether or not you're going to have the AC power anyway.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

How about either of these:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/2088-474-144.html
    http://www.solar-electric.com/2088-574-534.html

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • ywhic
    I have had good luck with this brand pump, problem solved. I prefer the Variable Speed Pump, but they don't make it in 24 V. This one is 4 GPM @ 60 psi and you can adjust that back if it's to high, it has a set screw in the switch, that most do not have.

http://www.energybay.org/aquatec-550-pressure-pump-24vdc

Thanks for the alternative..

This draws abit more than the Shurflo.. granted its rated for higher GPM/PSI..

Current (amps) 5.5 / 6.5 / 7.3
    Voltage 24 VDC
    Max. gpm 4.10 / 3.80 / 3.55

vs. Shurflo 24v for $119

10 20 30 40
    GPM 2.80 2.25 1.75 1.25
    Amps 2.41 2.63 2.73 2.71

I'm leaning toward the Surflow as I'll be running a Surflow Pre-Pressurized Accumulator 182-200 for $50 as well and the inline filter they have for the inbound water...

I'll also be filtering on the OUT lines under the sinks..

So would 0.9amp (max) on 110v AC be better than 2.71 Amps on DC??

I plan on having 110V AC anyway.. but didn't really want to go that route on the PUMP..

The 24v DC option makes this little PLAN keep moving foward.. >>>>> ;)
  • Blackcherry04

Your looking at AMP's at a given pressure If a pump only goes to 30 PSI it will pull a certain number of AMPS and a certain GPM of flow. It's hard to judge the two because your not measuring the same thing. The ShureFlow is a 4 diaphragm pump, where the Aquatec is a 5 Diagram @ 60 PSI and 4 + GPM, that is a huge difference in the flow of the water. The more diaphragm's the smoother the flow and volume, with every revolution of the pump motor you get 5 pulses of water. You'll know the difference the first time you take a shower. Good Luck

PS. That Accumulator is pretty much worthless. It only holds about a quart of water. If you choose to use one, it needs to be 2-5 gallon or so. Thats why I like the variable speed pumps, they do away with the need for one. If you go to 120 V you can get one.
  • ywhic
    Your looking at AMP's at a given pressure If a pump only goes to 30 PSI it will pull a certain number of AMPS and a certain GPM of flow. It's hard to judge the two because your not measuring the same thing. The ShureFlow is a 4 diaphragm pump, where the Aquatec is a 5 Diagram @ 60 PSI and 4 + GPM, that is a huge difference in the flow of the water. The more diaphragm's the smoother the flow and volume, with every revolution of the pump motor you get 5 pulses of water. You'll know the difference the first time you take a shower. Good Luck

PS. That Accumulator is pretty much worthless. It only holds about a quart of water. If you choose to use one, it needs to be 2-5 gallon or so. Thats why I like the variable speed pumps, they do away with the need for one.

While I agree more flow and more diafram = better.. I just found the Aquatec 550 PDF and the numbers are DOUBLE for Ampeage than whats listed on the link to the 550 24v Pump you have shown....

The small pressurized accumulator I may/may not get is for keeping pressure up (upto 75 psi).. Which for 2 sinks, 1 toilet, and shower stall should be fine.. IMHO.. I'd never be running all the items at one time.. Maybe at the max 10 minutes in the shower with an efficent shower head.. and the toilet is a .8-1.1 gal per flush type I was looking at..

Do you have the 550 Pump spec sheet that says the amps are 5.5 / 6.5 / 7.3 ?? or a link to it??

I do understand 5 bladder is better than 3.. its the AMPS that is my concern.. and a pressure switch on the Aquatec or Shurflo is obviously going to come into play..

Keep in mind this is a 12'x24' Cabin.. not a house..
  • Blackcherry04

I couldn't find the data sheet on the 24 V model, I guess you could call them and get them to e-mail you one specific to that pump. The ShurFlow may be best for you, Good Luck.