Heating bathroom with a portable generator

vtmaps
vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
In addition to capturing the waste heat of his generator, this system solves the problem of cold starting a generator in the winter.
Moderators, please feel free to move this thread to the hype and skeptics forum if that is the appropriate place.
Attachment not found.
read all about it:
http://www.inquisition.ca/en/esd/artic/generatrice.htm

--vtMaps
4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Heating bathroom with a portable generator

I assume it is a fire and/or CO detector on the floor.

Unfortunately, that is very dangerous. A head gasket leak, plugged PVC, exhaust leak, etc... And you are looking at some dead people.

The engine just has too many points of failure to do this safely (let alone any fire risks).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Besides the stuff bob said, I have a couple more statements. Carrying gasoline into your home is also a no no. Just the fumes from the gasoline could cause an explosion and burn your house down. Also the generator is burning heated air and blowing it outside. And besides this guy said there is 3 apartments where he lives. So he isn,t only putting himself and others in harms way, he is doing it to two other familys. I think if he did survive a fire and others died he could be brought up on manslaughter charges. If I was a neighbor I would be getting the authortys involved before someone dies. Maybe they don,t know. :Dsolarvic:D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i thought of doing that years ago, but never went through with it as i mulled it over and over and never came to the conclusion that it would be safe enough. it has 2 strikes against it. 1> co2 leak possibility and 2> the possibility of a gasoline leak posing a fire hazard. there is a 3rd reason too as the noise given off by the genny would be amplified indoors.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Another unanswered question,, what are we powering,, and are we concerned about line voltage in the bath room UN protected with GFCI? I would also not, the problem with condensate in the exhaust, running back into the muffler since thee is no drip leg, potentially causing water in the muffler, exhaust valve stems.

All in al,, a bad idea IMHO.

Tony
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i thought of doing that years ago, but never went through with it as i mulled it over and over and never came to the conclusion that it would be safe enough.

I thought of doing that months ago, but never went through with it either. It was in researching it that I came across that web site.

In my case, I was thinking about putting a Non Portable, electric start, propane generator in my workshop (which I keep above freezing with a woodstove). The reason was to avoid stressing the generator and its battery with subzero starts. I was less concerned about fumes (workshop is not a living space), but noise would be an issue (half the time when I run a generator I am in the workshop).

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Oh.

Hell.

No.

Most of the points have already been covered. Wow.

If he really wants the waste heat then he should design in reverse and add a heat exchange to the engine block, and bring the heat inside via a closed loop liquid-based system. Which could cause other problems if he takes off too much of the heat. But I doubt that is the real intent since his how-to says he keeps the door to that bathroom sealed off during use.

So that leaves temporary backup power - and he could install a battery-based system to handle that job, which would be far safer. Or just stick the genset outside where it belongs.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • 2manytoyz
    2manytoyz Solar Expert Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago we hada tropical storm thump our area. The only reported death was from carbon monoxide. Someone ran a generator inside a garage with the exhaust routed outside. Apparently not sealed well enough. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless.

Why not get a small portable heater? I'm using a Mr. Heater Little Buddy. Uses a 1 lb propane bottle.

ck-h830.jpg

dscn3195.jpg

Manufacturer says:

Indoor-safe portable propane heater for rooms up to 100 square feet

Continuous odor-free heat for up to 5-1/2 hours; 45-degree heating angle

Simple on/off buttons; uses 1-pound disposable propane cylinder (not included)

Low-oxygen sensor and accidental tip-over switch with auto shut-off for safety

Measures 12 by 10-1/2 by 10-1/2 inches; 1-year limited warranty

It heats up quickly, and a single bottle can last for days with periodic usage. I also refill the 1 lb bottles with an adapter.
  • SteveK
    SteveK Solar Expert Posts: 387 ✭✭

We also have one of those but the Big Buddy model. It takes 2-1lb tanks internal or it can be connected to 20-?lb cylinders. We heat our travel trailer for a tiny fraction of what it costs to use the central forced hot air furnace in it. Very efficient but you still need to crack a window. It can be a little bit moist (dripping wet sometimes) in there from a cold start but it does dry out eventually.

This Big Buddy has a built-in O2 sensor but it should not be trusted. As a matter of fact, I had to break the laws in my state just to purchase one. They cannot be had in MA. They are illegal... So I guess I am too?
  • SteveK
    vtmaps wrote: »
    In addition to capturing the waste heat of his generator, this system solves the problem of cold starting a generator in the winter.
    Moderators, please feel free to move this thread to the hype and skeptics forum if that is the appropriate place.
    Attachment not found.
    read all about it:
    http://www.inquisition.ca/en/esd/artic/generatrice.htm

--vtMaps

Could be a Flex Fuel model if they rigged the intake manifold to the toilet and lived on a diet of beans!! lol

I agree, of course, with others. A do not try at home setup if I ever saw one. There is some merit to reclaiming the waste heat from the exhaust though. Those suckers run near branding iron hot. Atleast the cheap 2-Stroke Harbor Freight one's do. This I know fron experience.
  • SteveK

Here is an example of what can be done with "toilet gas" (well almost) and an awesome Honda genny.