Pics of Grundfos Installation

pabloesguapo
pabloesguapo Solar Expert Posts: 116 ✭✭
Hallelujah! We now have water!

I went down with my family last week and was able to install our grundfos 16 SQF-10 pump. It wasn't very much trouble at all to do and it fired right up the very first time. The two hardest things were digging the hole around the well casing, and punching a hole in the side of it to install the pitless adapter. The ground there, like most of Arizona, is hard. I rented a two man post hole auger and my wife and I drilled a few holes around the casing to loosen up the soil. The kids had a blast digging out the loose dirt while the grown ups caught our breath. Installing the pitless adapter was a Royal P.I.A. The well driller started off with an 8 inch casing, but the soil he was drilling in was so sandy and gravely, that the hole he was drilling kept collapsing on him. He had to give up a ways down and drill a 6 inch casing inside the 8. That meant I had to punch through two casings made of very hard, thick steel. The steel drill "bits" I bought were ridiculously no match. I burned them out right away. I had to resort to my trusty old Makita angle grinder. Fortunately I brought along plenty of gringing wheels. It wasn't pretty, it took hours, but it worked.

I finally got everything working and roughly calculated I'm getting about 12-15 GPM.

Anyway, here are a few pics. I have a few pics post install, where you can actually see the water flowing. They're on my phone. I'll post those tomorrow.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
27 Kyocera panels, 6,500w
24 CG2 6v batteries, 48v, 630Ah
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic 150 Lite in "follow me" mode
(2) Outback fx3648 inverters
Generac ecogen 6kw backup generator
Mate3s

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Pics of Grundfos Installation

congratulations. it is really good you got your kids interested and willing to help.:D
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

Glad that you took some advice about the pitless adapter. Not too complicated when you got one in hand. Too bad you didn,t have a cutting torch to cut the hole for the pitless adapter. It only took about a minute to get the hole cut in my well casing. GOOD JOB!!
    :Dsolarvic:D
  • pabloesguapo

I have a cutting torch, but have tried numerous times and can't get the flame hot enough. :blush:
    Mate3s
  • tedl2007
    tedl2007 Registered Users Posts: 4

Newbe here,

What is a pitless adapter?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Here is a video showing the installation of a pit-less adapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XYoa2vu9Q4

As the guy says--there is still a pit beside the well. I guess it allows you to bring the water out below ground without having the well head itself below ground (smaller pit, less chance for surface water to leak down through the well cap, etc.).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

the primary reason, for us, is to have all the water lines BELOW the ground, at least 5 feet , or more, to keep the pipe from FREEZING...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a cutting torch, but have tried numerous times and can't get the flame hot enough. :blush:
    Main thing is you got the job done. Must be something wrong eith your cutting tip or you didn,t adjust the oxygen enough..
    solarvic:D
  • pabloesguapo

I studied that same video in preparation for my install. How did this guy drill a hole through that steel? I burned out two (bi-metal) and barely scratched the surface.

Yup, main thing is I got it done. Now, If I had only remembered to sanitize the well immediately after I put all that equipment in, I wouldn't have wasted 20 bucks on a bacteria test doomed to failure. Oops. Live and learn...
    Mate3s
  • BB.

Maybe a Carbide hole saw for ~$55 each?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Knowing what 'bugs' are in your well is not necessarily a bad thing... after sanitizing if they come back you will know that they , hopefully, didn't come from the surface. It is amazing what travels below ground and how far it can go.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Maybe a Carbide hole saw for ~$55 each?

-Bill

Or maybe like our Grandfathers did, a very small hole and then graduate up. Hey Bill!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• driven
    driven Registered Users Posts: 1

Greetings Pabloesguapo,

I am also installing a grundfos pump (6- SQF-2). However, I am having some trouble in regard to the piping. It is recommended to use 1 inch black polyethylene (polypipe) but, I cannot find it anywhere. I see in your photos that you are using a white pipe. I was wondering if you can tell me what kind of pipe it is and where you purchased it.

Thank you,
    Driven
  • BB.

The problem with standard white PVC type piping is that in full sun, it gets brittle overtime. Covering with dirt/boxing/etc. to keep it out of the sunlight will help the PVC type pipe to last longer. If you can find a compatible opaque paint (blocks UV rays, does not damage PVC--water based acrylic or latex paints are recommended in report below) will work too.

May lose ~20-25% of its impact resistance (PDF download report here) and, as a guess, become very brittle after 5 years in full sun (with no protection).

-Bill
  • pabloesguapo

Ugh... I want to call it PEX tubing, but I know that's not it. I guess when you get to 1" ID and above they call it something else.

Home Repo and Lowe's only have 3/4" PEX in my town (Currently, Las Vegas, but not for long!). The Grundfos pump has an outlet fitting of 1 and 1/4". I tried to find 1 1/4" tubing but discovered it very difficult to find and EXPENSIVE. So, I got a step down fitting (1 1/4" to 1") from a local plumbing supply shop, then a 1" threaded to barbed fitting with a loop for a safety cable/rope. Then I used Shark Bite fittings from there on out. I cannot recommend highly enough using Shark Bite fittings (where applicable and practical). The couple extra bucks you spend are well worth your time and sweat.
    Mate3s
  • BB.

Something like DriscoPlex® 5100 Ultra-Line used for irrigation (and from what I can see domestic) external water supply (has carbon black for UV protection):

http://www.leesupply.com/userfiles/pdfs/PP_DP_5100_PE4710_PE3408.pdf
    Suggested Industries and Applications

PERFORMANCE PIPE's DriscoPlex 5100 Ultra-LinePE 4710 (formerly PE 3408) piping products are recommended for use in municipal

DriscoPlex 5100 piping products are not recommended for use inside of residential or commercial water service pipe and tubing.
    buildings.

The stuff that I bought 20 years ago came in ~4 foot diameter rolls, so you will have to unroll and bury/mount to hold it straight.

No idea if it is appropriate for your needs or not... Just a starting point for research.

-Bill
  • tmarch
    tmarch Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

Another option that I use is black thin wall over the white, adds a bit of strength and protects the pvc, but only in long runs. White pvc is relatively inexpensive so any run 10' or less is left exposed.
    BB. wrote: »
    The problem with standard white PVC type piping is that in full sun, it gets brittle overtime. Covering with dirt/boxing/etc. to keep it out of the sunlight will help the PVC type pipe to last longer. If you can find a compatible opaque paint (blocks UV rays, does not damage PVC--water based acrylic or latex paints are recommended in report below) will work too.

May lose ~20-25% of its impact resistance (PDF download report here) and, as a guess, become very brittle after 5 years in full sun (with no protection).

-Bill
  • Ken Marsh
    Ken Marsh Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

Driven,

The old Black Poly pipe (polyethylene) has largely disappeared.
    You can still get it by special order from plumbing supplies.
    It has been replaced with PEX, (Crosslinked Polyethylene).
    PEX is higher temperature, stronger and usually lower cost.
    You do need to keep it out of the sun where the old black poly it didn't make much difference.
  • pabloesguapo

AquaPEX, by UPONOR. I got a 100ft roll of it from my local plumbing shop for $127.00.

Here's a link to find it online:

http://www.pexsupply.com/AquaPEX-Tubing-517000

All of this is being used underground, so UV deterioration is not a concern for me.
    Mate3s