Outback Invertors FX2524T or VFX3524?

konstantin.neo
konstantin.neo Registered Users Posts: 19
What is the difference between the two inverters besides 20.8 amps vs 29.2 amps of continuous AC?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Outback Invertors FX2524T or VFX3524?

I am no Outback expert--but from what little I know (PDF Spec. Sheet):

"V" is vented (with bug screen). Non-F is sealed with external fan for assisted cooling. The sealed units are probably derated a bit from their vented counterparts do to cooling issues with sealed units.

All of these units seem to have input frequency of 54-66 Hz--There are a few models (intended for Grid Tie?) that have very tight input frequency requirements and will not lock onto a mechanically governed genset.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

An FX2524 is a sealed unit capable of 2500 Watts maximum.
    A VFX3524 is a vented unit capable of 3500 Watts maximum. It costs about $200 more too.

Otherwise the hook-up and function is the same. The difference is that the sealed units can operate in bad environments (dusty/dirty).
  • konstantin.neo
    konstantin.neo Registered Users Posts: 19

These units accept AC from a generator right? Is it to charge the batteries on a cloudy day?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    These units accept AC from a generator right? Is it to charge the batteries on a cloudy day?

Yes. Not a great power factor on the built-in charger, but it works well enough. I run my VFX3524 off the Honda EU2000i. For either model you will need a MATE or MATE II to adjust the programming.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The "T" at the end of FX2524T means that it is sealed (not vented) and has a Turbo fan on the top of
    the unit. Those used to be optional but (we, Robin) OB made them stock eventually for better cooling.

boB
  • SolaRevolution
    SolaRevolution Solar Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭
    What is the difference between the two inverters besides 20.8 amps vs 29.2 amps of continuous AC?

The charger capacity is higher in the VFX3524.
    This will affect how long you will have to run your generator.

Battery manufacturers have recommendations for minimum and maximum current requirements to ensure adequate charging. The 3524 can properly charge a larger battery bank than the 2524. Keep this in mind too if you are planning to get a small generator.

Alex
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    The charger capacity is higher in the VFX3524.
    <snip>
    Keep this in mind too if you are planning to get a small generator.
    If a small generator is in your plans, consider also that the outback chargers are not power factor corrected. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i