Sunny Webbox DIY?

I like to get some idea about the difficulty level of installing the Sunny Webbox monitoring system.

I am evaluating several bids on replacing old (see "Non-functioning decade old 10kW ..." thread), and the labor on installing a monitoring system (SMA Sunny or SunPower) are $900-1000.

I'm capable of assembling PC from components, and pulling my own CAT5e for home network. I'm hoping that the box can be easily mounted on exterior stucco wall, and comes with pre-terminated cables for the RS485 connection to the inverters.

Comments

• ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Re: Sunny Webbox DIY?
    Han Solar wrote: »
    I like to get some idea about the difficulty level of installing the Sunny Webbox monitoring system.

I am evaluating several bids on replacing old (see "Non-functioning decade old 10kW ..." thread), and the labor on installing a monitoring system (SMA Sunny or SunPower) are $900-1000.

I'm capable of assembling PC from components, and pulling my own CAT5e for home network. I'm hoping that the box can be easily mounted on exterior stucco wall, and comes with pre-terminated cables for the RS485 connection to the inverters.

You must install an RS485 communications board in each SB inverter you want to monitor and daisy chain them into the WebBox, and run CAT5 from it to your router. The WebBox itself is pretty small and light; mounting it won't be much of an issue.