Grid parity reaches Spain

stephendv
stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Comments

• drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Re: Grid parity reaches Spain

Notes from the article:

250MW, cost of 250M Euros or 1EUR/watt (that's about USD$1.33/watt right now)

Construction to begin in 2013 (why announce the project so early?)

I can definitely see installed costs getting down to $1.33 / watt in another year - panels are well under $1/watt now and will likely continue to slide a bit - it's now up to inverters and BOS to really get costs down the rest of the way.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

hmmm, i don't see pv prices dropping any farther in the near future as right now i believe they've somewhat leveled off and may even rise a tad in the near future.

with the market unpredictable going out a year why would they say it'll cost xxx million euros now, unless they've already purchased all of the pvs? other material costs and even labor may increase by then too. only way i see out of that is a signed contract fixing it at that price for all to be done regardless if the market goes up or down. the installer can take a beating if costs go up more than he may have anticipated.
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    only way i see out of that is a signed contract fixing it at that price for all to be done regardless if the market goes up or down

Yeah, I'd expect they've contracted (probably with a major wholesaler or company) for the price before the announcement.

I'm skeptical this is really going to be at Spanish energy market parity when all is said and done, unless there's more to the story. But, it's sure nice for solar if it is.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

I would have thought that they would have to include the cost of the land in the price of the project. 750 hectares = 1800 Acres.