Flexmax 80 diversion load relay

Options
440rt
440rt Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi I just bought a new flex max 80 and I would like to use the diversion load to power up a relay to heat my rv 5gal 12 volt water heater after my battery bank is full. I’m just not sure which relay will work the best. I know the relay power on switch can’t be over 12v at 200ma. I’m sure someone here has done this so I’m just curious what relay has worked the best for you. Thanks, -Bryan

Solar is 990 watt’s
Charge controller is Flexmax 80
Battery bank is 10- 6volt wired for 12volt
Water heater element is 12 Volt 200, 300, or 600 watt not sure which one yet.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Flexmax 80 diversion load relay

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know (offhand) which relay you need, but recommend that you check out grainger.com. They have a good selection to choose from. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

You will likely need two relays: the small one the FM80 can handle to switch on a larger one whose contacts are rated for the current & Voltage of the water heater. Be sure the coil draw on the second does not exceed the contact rating on the first.

One of these should work for the primary relay: http://www.solar-electric.com/regest12vosi.html
    The contacts are only rated for 10 Amps, which is no doubt much lower than the heater draws.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You might also check out what's available in Solid State relays. They switch electronically, can do so at a very rapid rate, and have no contacts to burn.